MB 5W40 229.5 Supplier?

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
Does anyone know who supplies the MB 5W40 229.5 engine oil? Thanks!

Sam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 60
Rumor on the MB forum I frequent is that Fuchs is the factory fill. No hard evidence, just statements about seeing the Fuchs and Pentosin containers and trucks at the MB factories.
Mobil states on it's web pages it is factory fill on "some" AMG models.

Rumor on the MB forum I frequent is that Fuchs is the factory fill. No hard evidence, just statements about seeing the Fuchs and Pentosin containers and trucks at the MB factories.
Mobil states on it's web pages it is factory fill on "some" AMG models.
Thanks. The bottle is a unique shape. Unlike any other brands I’ve used. It does look like a Fuchs product:

OP, I would suggest you do a little bit of research into the smaller part and repair shops around your area. You will eventually find a place that will sell that exact product, and not charge an arm and a leg for it. I know of it.

ExxonMobil in the USA (aka Mobil)

edywhatever will start talking about Petronas - which supplies next to nobody in the USA

OP, I would suggest you do a little bit of research into the smaller part and repair shops around your area. You will eventually find a place that will sell that exact product, and not charge an arm and a leg for it. I know of it.
Purchased at FCP Euro, they are 9 miles from my home. Will return under their LRG so my cost is zero. 🙂

Mobil used to make it for them. The Mobil 1 M 5-40 and MB 229.5 are very similar blends. Somewhere on here are virgin analysis of both.

I've read they source it from different vendors in different regions. Most of Asia from a company in Malaysia or Indonesia and the China cars are getting Chinese oil.
Global market with local sources. Heck, Mercedes in Germany uses parts from Poland, India (I had Indian injectors from the dealer) and former Soviet republics. I just worry about the BEVO list. If it's on there, Mom Benz approves and it's good enough. Maybe not "the best" people are looking for, but good enough.
I'd like higher esters, but won't pay for it. :ROFLMAO:

Sam

Sam
Late reply but anyhow : At present it is Petronas in Germany and Scandinavia. Might of course be other blenders/manufacturers on other markets.( left corner below above Mercedes Benz - it states " powered by Petronas " and their logo.

Attachments

• omiZ%+uUQLuOOU3VgzvkHg.jpg
    omiZ%+uUQLuOOU3VgzvkHg.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 70
Other images of those bottles actually have the two oval indentations that Vaico also uses, curiously. Same story on the Mercedes-branded gear and transmission fluids.

I was under the impression that Mobil 1 was the factory fill, but the bottles look nothing like any of Mobil's past or present bottles. There is a non-US market AMG-branded 0w40 that appears to be the previous M1 0w40 formulation, based on spec sheets. I suppose it's possible that XOM is doing a custom bottle design for them.

The bottles do say "made in Germany" which points to Ravenol or Fuchs...unless XOM is now blending in Germany.

See also, related question:

Maybe I should have informed You guys that the "Mercedes Benz 229.5 genuine oil " see my photo above , manufactured by Petronas, also clearly states " Made in Germany" on the back. I have absolutely no idea which brand is the factory fill - but considering that
Since 2010 , Petronas has been the title and technical partner of the Mercedes-AMG F1 team by providing its fluid technology solutions they would probably want something in return from MB more than a sticker on the F-1 cars ? Makes logic to me.
Together, the two partners have achieved seven consecutive double World Championship titles, with three-year contract renewals twice for 2015-2017 and 2018 and onwards.
I would assume CleanSump is on the right track stating that MB source its fluids / oils from different vendors in different regions of the World.
So presently in Germany and Scandinavia it is Petronas - in the U S I don't know.
And No : I have not used Petronas products... so i am not biased.

You guys need to clarify your language a bit. "Factory full" means the oil that goes into the engine when it is built. This will be supplied in bulk or drums to the factory and has to meet a very high standard of quality and cleanliness. The stuff that goes into bottles is called "service fill". There's no guarantee that the factory fill oil and the service fill oil are the same or are even from the same supplier - in fact they often aren't.

So answering the question "who makes the oil in this bottle?" with "factory fill oil is made by......" isn't answering the question.

You guys need to clarify your language a bit. "Factory full" means the oil that goes into the engine when it is built. This will be supplied in bulk or drums to the factory and has to meet a very high standard of quality and cleanliness. The stuff that goes into bottles is called "service fill". There's no guarantee that the factory fill oil and the service fill oil are the same or are even from the same supplier - in fact they often aren't.

So answering the question "who makes the oil in this bottle?" with "factory fill oil is made by......" isn't answering the question.
Agree 100 % !

FYI: My local Dealer (Mercedes of Portland, OR) offers this @ 6.00/qt, for wholesale/jobber customers. excellent value. They sell tons of it. I just picked up 7 quarts

Back