Mazda6S 3.0 beats EPA mpg estimate by 1.5 mpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
...at 80 mph

2012-08-23_18-01-41_129.jpg

The speed limit on much of I-45 is 75mph

EPA freeway estimate is 25mpg. I ran 26.5mpg on that stretch into the wind.

Pic too small to view anything.

If your digital computer is like 99.9% of the others its off. The only ACCURATE measure of MPG is how many miles (and make sure your odo is accurate) driven vs how many gallons used over MANY tanks.

Take care, Bill

I can decellerate downhill and get 90mpg on the Scangauge.But the avg mpg is only 22.

Almost any car can easily beat EPA if you're driving properly.

The EPA rating is usually an idiotproofed number accounting for no wind in average conditions with the AC on and accessories and stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Pic too small to view anything.

If your digital computer is like 99.9% of the others its off. The only ACCURATE measure of MPG is how many miles (and make sure your odo is accurate) driven vs how many gallons used over MANY tanks.

Take care, Bill

My particular model doesn't have a mpg display. Rather, it has the LCD display in the center stack but it is only active on the Gran Touring models. It's just a dead display on the Sport. The image is just to illustrate 80mph.

I divided miles/gallons dispensed. I actually averaged a bit better on the way back but had a pretty strong tailwind and got slowed down by a big storm outside of Conroe, TX. The slower speed (ie: about 55mph) no doubt altered the mpg.

It feels funny blowing past a state trooper at 80 mph and nothing happening.
lol.gif

When did they stop limiting GM trucks at 95mph? I got blown away by quite a few Tahoes and Silverados that were more than 15mph faster than me (and one Fiat 500
eek.gif
) Probably who the state troopers were looking for.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

When did they stop limiting GM trucks at 95mph? I got blown away by quite a few Tahoes and Silverados that were more than 15mph faster than me (and one Fiat 500
eek.gif

I think its 97 and when they put better tires on it. Once they went away from the 16 inch and went to lower profile it jumped up to 112 mph.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Almost any car can easily beat EPA if you're driving properly.

The EPA rating is usually an idiotproofed number accounting for no wind in average conditions with the AC on and accessories and stuff.

I figured the EPA standard was set at 60mph. Maybe 65. I was just surprised that I beat that at 80mph into the wind with the A/C on.
laugh.gif

eek.gif

I think its 97 and when they put better tires on it. Once they went away from the 16 inch and went to lower profile it jumped up to 112 mph.

laugh.gif
112? I believe it.

One black Tahoe (or maybe Yukon...I don't know. It was going that fast) must have been pushing up on the 112mph cut-off.

Still can't believe that Fiat. Must've been doing 100 himself.

I guess I'm getting old. 80 felt plenty fast. Maybe too fast but it was a good enough speed to not get run over and I didn't collect too much of a backup behind me.

Loose a tire at any speed and its ugly.

Make that above 70mph and its deadly. Seen it many a time. Esp in top heavy vehicles.

Bill

Got 26.9ish with our 3.0L AWD Fusion last weekend driving to the Mackinac Bridge and back. Best ever for us. EPA hgwy is 24. And I rarely drive less than 80. There were a few spots where traffic (several of us in a pack it seemed) hit 90+.
spankme2.gif

lol. it is nothing special that your mazda beats EPA mpg estimate by 1.5 mpg.

my 2006 toyota say 28 hwy mpg, I get 32 mpg most of the time..

any car can beats epa estimate if you drive slow, use cruise control. lol.

Originally Posted By: moto94536
lol. it is nothing special that your mazda beats EPA mpg estimate by 1.5 mpg.

my 2006 toyota say 28 hwy mpg, I get 32 mpg most of the time..

any car can beats epa estimate if you drive slow, use cruise control. lol.

But I was set at 80mph

I normally get about 30 on the freeway. I just found it humorous that I beat the EPA estimate at 80 mph. I really assumed that it would be less.

The Chrysler gets 26mpg on Premium with the cruise control set at 65mph. Exactly what the window sticker states. I'm pretty sure it would've fallen off pretty heavy at 80mph.

And my Cruze will get 43 mpg at 72 mph, or a hair above its EPA rating. At 60 mph it'll get 50-55 mpg. Good reason to slow down...

The 2007 CR-V 4WD was rated 22/24/28, and the 2008 CR-V 4WD was rated 20/22/26, after the EPA used new testing parameters. I average 24-25 mpg on my commute with it, and I recently took a 1700 mile journey that delivered 28.2 mpg. The pre-2008 estimate certainly seems to be more in-line which what the car will really do than the post-2008 estimate.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
And my Cruze will get 43 mpg at 72 mph, or a hair above its EPA rating. At 60 mph it'll get 50-55 mpg. Good reason to slow down...

I was actually worried that I would get run over at the posted limit.

If you don't count the 20+ year old farm trucks pulling a loaded fifth wheel trailer belching out smoke to maintain 65 mph, I was one of the slower vehicles on the road.

I guess when you are loaded with a few tons of rain soaked hay bales in a '90 something D350, you aren't really worried about anything but a semi rear-ending you.
lol.gif

eek.gif

laugh.gif
112? I believe it.

One black Tahoe (or maybe Yukon...I don't know. It was going that fast) must have been pushing up on the 112mph cut-off.

Still can't believe that Fiat. Must've been doing 100 himself.

I guess I'm getting old. 80 felt plenty fast. Maybe too fast but it was a good enough speed to not get run over and I didn't collect too much of a backup behind me.

No speed limits? I would have had the cruise set in the S600 at about 150-160, proper autobahn running speed.

One of my friends runs out west a lot, he said one time the road was so perfect...he had the cruise in his Barbus E55 AMG set at 180 and pushed it up to 205 for awhile. Now that's how you make good time! LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back