Mazda5 with manual transmission?

Now that I have a new automatic Scion xB which seems to be decently reliable I think it’s time to send the manual one off to someone else because I don’t need two. Rather than just sell it I’m thinking of trading for a Mazda5. I hear generally good things about them but one of the contributors here has indicated the transmission is a common failure point in these.

I’m wondering if finding a manual version (I have a couple on my radar) would reduce the likelihood of the transmission being an issue? I haven’t heard much negative feedback on Mazda’s manual transmissions.

A manual Mazda5 would be a fun little van. When I was looking at them discovered there were some years with problems with rear wheel bearings.
Rear wheel bearings are an easy and relatively inexpensive repair. That’s the kind of thing I can do myself.

I’m actually looking at an automatic Mazda5 in town, the ATF is pretty dark- not burnt, but definitely not red. I’m a little leery of them, I’m reading of a few TCM & other auto transaxle issues with them.

A couple we know has had a manual one for quite a few years now, maybe 8? Its rusting around the rear wheel wells but other than that, its been pretty solid. They've been talking about getting something newer but there's not many other manual trans family haulers left and they like banging their own gears.

I’m actually looking at an automatic Mazda5 in town, the ATF is pretty dark- not burnt, but definitely not red. I’m a little leery of them, I’m reading of a few TCM & other auto transaxle issues with them.
Is it the $3900 2012 with 146k miles?

We have a 2012 with the 2.5 and automatic and we have over 150k on it. The automatic is solid and I have drained and refilled it 2 times. Each time the fluid has been dark but no burnt smell. It still shift perfect and you must be careful when you step on the gas because it easily spins the front tires. At least it has a dipstick and a drain plug on the pan of the transmission. Our has no rust and yes I had to replace the right rear wheel bearing that is in a hub.. Easy Peasy job. We love ours and hope to see 300k before it leaves us.

My daughter has a Mazda5 with a manual transmission. This would be her 4th vehicle, all with manual transmissions (previously Toyota Celica, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Solara). Bought it when she had a couple of kids, so it's probably about 10 years old. I've driven it a few times. Nice little vehicle. She's had no problems that I know of. And it's appearance has help up really well in spite of being parked outdoors.

Of course she mostly drives the family's Leaf nowadays (low running costs).

The rust proofing still sucks after 2010. In Canada there is lots of rusty 2nd gen where the box frame below the door has holes.

3rd gen looks better, but they are not as old.

There is no transmission issues though. You don't have to hunt a manual.

The rust proofing still sucks after 2010. In Canada there is lots of rusty 2nd gen where the box frame below the door has holes.

3rd gen looks better, but they are not as old.

There is no transmission issues though. You don't have to hunt a manual.
That's one advantage of life on the Wet Coast (pun intended). There is very little salt used here and consequently there is very little rust on vehicles that have lived their entire life here. There is no visible rust on my daughter's 10 year old Mazda5.

My MIL picked up a 2011 Mazda 5 automatic with 78k in 2018 for $5500. Amazing reliability and relatively trouble free except normal age issues like shocks, exhaust and suspension bits. AC did quit

It has some little rust spots appearing however lives about 300ft from high tide level outside.

Last edited:
2.3L with auto is the only problem child.
2.3L manual, as well as 2.5L auto or manual, are all good, so pick based on condition.
2.3L does get a stuck open thermostat every 50-80k miles.

2.3L with auto is the only problem child.
2.3L manual, as well as 2.5L auto or manual, are all good, so pick based on condition.
2.3L does get a stuck open thermostat every 50-80k miles.
I missed out on the one I really wanted. It was six hours away and my wife has been staying with her hospitalized father so I couldn’t get free to make the drive. There’s a 2013 manual with 80k miles that’s eight hours away but I’m not as enthusiastic about it based on the price and the photos.

All the ones I was really enthusiastic about have sold while I’m stuck at home.

I missed out on the one I really wanted. It was six hours away and my wife has been staying with her hospitalized father so I couldn’t get free to make the drive. There’s a 2013 manual with 80k miles that’s eight hours away but I’m not as enthusiastic about it based on the price and the photos.

All the ones I was really enthusiastic about have sold while I’m stuck at home.
Give it a few days. The right one WILL show up. Just gotta have patience. Every time I jump the gun and buy the best one available - within 24-48hrs THE ABSOLUTE PERFECT one hits the market, but I already blew my money lol. So yea, just play the waiting game and have cash ready, if your situation allows.

On rust there is a reason :) for MIL likely :
IMG_1335.jpeg

IMG_1320.jpeg

Back