Mazda3 2.0L anything I should know about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 2006 Mazda3 touring sport 5 speed with 107K on the clock. It's an incredibly fun peppy car to drive.

I'm currently in the process of running a 3K mile OCI because the car had 5/16/09 on the orange can of death filter and the oil was incredibly black (I know I know... can't judge oil by color.)

I was wondering if this engine is easy on oil and also if I should stick with the 5w20 Mazda recommends or if people run 5w30 in it without issue.

So far I haven't noticed any issues with it (and I'm hoping it stays that way.)

They are fun to drive and the 2.0L is pretty easy on oil. I'd personally try 5W-20 Motorcraft syn-blend. But 5W-30 can easy be run in that engine...

I believe that is the same engine I have in the Focus. So far it's been flawless as has the big cousin in my Fusion, the 2.3 Duratech.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I believe that is the same engine I have in the Focus. So far it's been flawless as has the big cousin in my Fusion, the 2.3 Duratech.

The block is the same, but I think everything on top is different.

Thanks for the advice. Right now I'm running Resolute 5w20 synthetic blend with a supertech filter for 3K this time around (not sure how good Resolute is but it was at fleet farm for $1.85 a quart)

After that I have a pureone going in with 5w20 quaker state full synthetic and then I have 10 quarts of oreilly full synthetic and two Mobil1 filters.

Once I've gone through all of that I'll probably just start doing the motorcraft syn blend and filter.

I have a 2008 Mazda3 2L, which I bought new. Now has 50,000 miles. Only thing I hate is these cars EAT tires like nothing. Seriously, I'm on my 3rd set of tires. I drive pretty normally, too.

As far as oil, you don't need anything fancy. I've used 5w20 and 5w30. It seems more peppy with 5w20. I've posted some UOAs on here.

My daughter bought an 06 Mazda3 2.0L auto in Aug '09 w/50,000 miles on the clock. Runs great with 5W30 summer and 5W20 winter. She is getting great mileage...32-33mpg/city & close to or better than 40mpg hiwy depending on the length of the trip and it's "whatevers" along the way. She complaines when she only gets 25mpg/city in the winter time(back&forth,work/home).

Great engine. I have 78,000 on mine, from 2004 the first model year. Engine burns absolutely no oil and runs quiet. Compared to some other 4 bangers I've drove (Nissan Altima/Dodge Caliper), the engine is very refined. Any oil should be fine, factory fill is Motorcraft Semi-synthetic 5w-20, which can be found very cheap at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
5W20 Motorcraft and a Motocraft Filter every 5000 miles and it will live forever.
That's what I run in mine! Go with the Motorcraft FL400S filter

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
She is getting great mileage...32-33mpg/city & close to or better than 40mpg hiwy depending on the length of the trip and it's "whatevers" along the way.
Wow, best I have done is 32.5 hwy

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
She is getting great mileage...32-33mpg/city & close to or better than 40mpg hiwy depending on the length of the trip and it's "whatevers" along the way.

Is yours a stick, too?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Is yours a stick, too?
No auto, same as Char's daughter

I just changed spark plugs in it so I'm hoping for better gas mileage (not that it was bad in the first place!)

I've read conflicting sites telling how much oil to use (some sites say it takes about a gallon of oil while the manual says 4.5). What do you guys put in it?

Thanks

My 2.0 mazda3 is great. Uses not a drop at 88k kilometers.
I run PP 5w30 about 4500 miles. Next change I'm gonna start
using the FL400s and QSUD 5w30 I got on sale.
Quiet engine with lots of pep.

Originally Posted By: Paulson
I just changed spark plugs in it so I'm hoping for better gas mileage (not that it was bad in the first place!)

I've read conflicting sites telling how much oil to use (some sites say it takes about a gallon of oil while the manual says 4.5). What do you guys put in it?

Thanks
I use 4.25

The block is the same, but I think everything on top is different.

The entire engine is identical between the Mazda and Ford version. It's a 100% Japanese engineered engine, and Ford just casts and manufactures them for their own use, like how Mazda casts and machines the Ford Duratec 6cyl for their own use. However the Mazda version of the V6 has some actual massaging done to it, the Ford 4cyl 'Duratecs' are all 100% original Mazda dimensions. Any differences were only between VVT and non-VVT models.

Paulson, since you have an '06, I would strongly advise you to look into the "Timing Advance Mod". Basically, until 08 Mazda 'retarded' the crank angle sensor, which determines the max timing advance. The mod includes 'advancing' the CAS so that the ignition advance range is greater. The knock sensor and control system still dials back according to fuel grade. Results are better engine response, better fuel economy. The procedure is: loosten two bolts, slide adjust the sensor all the way down, re snug the bolts. It's too easy. You might also want to try the throttle body ground mod, which is just simply upgrading the ground wire to the DBW throttle body. These are two of ths simplest, and most rewarding "mods" for this car. Enjoy!
Note: after 08, Mazda made this setting standard.

Originally Posted By: Paulson

How about going with the manual's spec instead of relying on a website? lol. The dipstick is completely useless, though. I've always poured 4.5.

Would that mod apply to an '08 built in '07?

Last edited:

Is yours a stick, too?
No auto, same as Char's daughter

My daughter may have a bit more highway driving mixed in with her city driving than others. Her highway driving is typicaly(but not always) non-stop from point A to point B. When she drives on the highway to visit friends/family out of town, she hops on the expressway almost instantly from her appartment. Same goes when she drives to work in the morning; point A to point B, and then a bit of city stop-n-go to the office. That's why there is the term "YMMV" She also uses cruise control and keeps speeds within 5-10 mph of the limit(she says). Could be tires too! Dunlop Signature. Noisy but, to coin a phrase..."They're waring like iron", same for the noisy brakes but, they're waring well too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back