Dealer going against Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazz3,

Do you detect any difference in acoustics from the engine now that you have the w30 (especially at WOT) ? I'm planning to go to w30 with my next fill w/ my Mazda 6 - I recently drained some oil to do a UOA, and I went ahead and drained a full qt, and then added some 10w40 (1 qt) to my M1 0w20. The 0w20 was high pitched and didn't sound "healthy" at WOT. The new mix (thicker) has a much more "masculine" sound - quality sound, if you will.

Yea, I think it's a tad more quiet and when I had to drop down to third on the interstate to get out of a potential problem, it seemed a little smoother. Subjective but I'll hold to it.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I am pretty sure my fox honda dumps 5w30 in ridgeline which calls for 20.
maybe I can make friends with an ambulance chasing lawyer! heeheee.

just take ur own oil next time

Try taking it to Rivertown Honda instead, they seem to be pretty on the ball when it comes to things, although the waiting line last time I took a car there was really long.
frown.gif
You could also take it to Fox Acura on 29th Street (right by the Nissan dealership and Art Van), they're one of the best IMO. And they would probably use Honda OEM stuff. Regardless, 30-grade wouldn't hurt anything anyways.
grin2.gif
Just rambling.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Just use the synthetic 5w-30, it is fine. Geez

Of course it will be fine. But that's not the point...

Originally Posted By: Mark888
The warranty will not be voided if the dealer uses 5W-30. The auto companies are under extreme pressure to increase fuel mileage and must meet increasingly stiff CAFE standards. Obama just accelerated the implementation of CAFE standards in upcoming years.

So the automakers must be very careful that they always recommend 5W-20 if that is what the auto was certified under. Trust me, there are a lot of environmentalists and EPA employees who pose as car owners and try to get the automakers to slip up and say that 5W-30 is OK after the car was certified by the EPA with 5W-20 and then they would crucify the automaker.

Bottom line is that 5W-30 is fine. If you have a concern I would recommend M1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy (not anything like the German Castrol 0W-30).

What are you talking about?

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: mazz3
When it came to issues, he was pretty vague. He talked about turbo's smoking and having to go to 40w with those...

The manual says 5-20w, except if you're in Mexico and can't find it than use 5-30w - it says that in very fine print.

I plan on talking to the rep tomorrow, I don't think he has anything to back up the no syn claim.

If I had a turbo, there is not question I would use a synthetic.

Keep in mind that the automakers must diligently specify the same oil viscosity for maintenance that the car was certified with for MPG by the EPA, or else they could loose their EPA certification. So don't even bother asking the manufacturer for any additional justification for 5W-20. Any further discussion with them on this subject would be like pi$$ing in the wind.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain the manufacturers that specify (or actually "prefer" or "recommend") 5W-20, but allow owners to use other grades on up to 20W-50, such as Hyundai/Kia...

Mazda would be one of those as the Mazda6 with the 3.7L V6 engine "spec's" 5W-20, but also states in the manual that the owner can use a 5W-40 (presumably synthetic) weight oil in absence of a 5W-20...

You're just making [censored] up and throwing it on the internet...

Incidentally, this thread isn't about "manufacturers," it's about idiot, greedy dealers (who make much of their overall profit in service) undermining the manufacturer's recommendations by going to the lowest bottom line on oils and doing what's best for them! Not the consumer...

As for the thread-starter: "Issues with heat (using 5W-20)?" Right!! My brother was a service writer with a Ford dealership in Florida when 5W-20 first came out, there were no "issues." Ever!

The only issues he ever heard regarding oil was when a police dept. had problems with oil filters launching off their Crown Vic's as a result of using an SAE40...

But I do agree with you on the turbo thing...

Last edited:
Just keep your invoice related to the oil change that you got from your dealer, actually, keep every invoice and anything you do to the car so that you have a paper trail to present to the manufacturer for engine repair work, if needed. Keep the originals and make copies for the manufacturer for their records.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
You have no idea what you are talking about.
+1
crazy2.gif

Mazda would be one of those as the Mazda6 with the 3.7L V6 engine "spec's" 5W-20, but also states in the manual that the owner can use a 5W-40 (presumably synthetic) weight oil in absence of a 5W-20....
Good point! In the OP's case it doesn't say that.

You're just making [censored] up and throwing it on the internet....
+1. Seems like a lot of shyzer to me.

Incidentally, this thread isn't about "manufacturers," it's about idiot, greedy dealers (who make much of their overall profit in service) undermining the manufacturer's recommendations by going to the lowest bottom line on oils and doing what's best for them! Not the consumer...
That would seem to be the case here.

But I do agree with you on the turbo thing...
The mention of "turbo" was just smoke and mirrors, the old shell game. Mention issues with turbo's to change the subject and distract from the fact that the owner doesn't have a turbo or require turbo spec'd oil. Convenient but convoluted reasoning for using non spec'd 5w30 oil.

Originally Posted By: mazz3
When it came to issues, he was pretty vague. He talked about turbo's smoking and having to go to 40w with those...

The manual says 5-20w, except if you're in Mexico and can't find it than use 5-30w - it says that in very fine print.

I plan on talking to the rep tomorrow, I don't think he has anything to back up the no syn claim.

The dealer sounds like an idiot then because the turbos don't spec 5w20 oil.

And I think Mazda's stance is how the email read. Mazda does not "recommend synthetic." As long as the oil is 5w20 and API SM, they have zero problems with it. They will not endorse synthetics but that is not a condemnation either.

Last edited:
Bottom line: Change your own oil. Never assume anything!

I had some work done to my 5.4L F150 at the dealer and had a free oil change coupon. When I looked at the invoice, I noticed they used QS 5W20 bulk instead of Motorcraft. Not a huge deal, but I expected (and assumed!) a Ford dealer would use the "recommended" Motorcraft 5W20.
I like QS oils and it did fine even pulling my Jeep up NH hills during the couple of hot days we had(before the 40days/nights of rain). It went to 4K and I replaced it with $11 QS Q-Torquepower 10W30.

Run your 5W30 out to your regular OCI and next time hold the dealers hand. It's your engine!

dealer and mazda customer service = dumb and dumber.

Both spit out nonsense imho. Most bitogers could smell the [censored] a mile away.

+1 find another dealer or demand and see that they put the correct oil in your vehicle. Just don't like some of the information dealers past out. Some don't have a clue as to what they are talking about and others like to hold inventory down and put one grade of bulk oil in everything. We go to dealers to assure we get approved fluids & "expert" maintenance but, often times all we get is a high charge and inaccurate advice. End of rant.

Originally Posted By: webfors
dealer and mazda customer service = dumb and dumber.

Both spit out nonsense imho. Most bitogers could smell the [censored] a mile away.

To be fair, both of the Mazda dealerships I have dealt with in Kansas City have been excellent. Both adhere strictly to Mazda's specifications. They don't ever try and push service specials that are unnecessary. They also charge very reasonable prices. They send monthly coupons for oil change and full circle inspections including fluid topoffs for $25. Or, if you want to bring your own oil and filter, for $10 they will change the oil and still perform the full circle inspection including fluid topoffs.

Many dealer service departments get this kind of stuff wrong all the time. Many of them sell various additives and treatments when the vehicle mfg. specifically says not to use such additives.

That said, M1 5W-30 will work just fine in your Mazda.

1) Don't go back to that [censored] dealer
2) 5W-30 will work just fine
3) 5W-30 will NOT VOID YOUR MAZDA WARRANTY.
4) Quit being paranoid. You're fine. Go enjoy your car.

I had a similar situation with a Toyota dealer years ago, in fact, did not even stock the recommended weight back then. Anyway, I informed Toyota corporate about this dealer not carrying the recommneded viscocity of oil for my toyota and within 30 days the dealer sent out a notice to customers that they now stocked the weight in question.

Write a letter to the manyufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back