Mazda Skyactiv oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2016 Mazda cx5 that's now ready for it's first oil change. I bought it at one dealership but have warranty work done at another due to distance from my home. The service department I bought it from indicated that I needed to use a high moly oil and strongly recommended using only genuine Mazda oil. The other dealership told me that they used Castrol Edge. Based on that I thought I'd get Castrol as I like doing my own changes (to "bond" with my car). Does the Castrol provide the required moly or is there another oil I should be considering that provides the optimum moly levels. Is the first dealer blowing wind up my posterior regarding the needed moly levels? Secondly, I have always used Wix filters in the past. Are these equivalent to the Mazda (supposedly higher flow filters)?

Yes he's blowing wind. Look in your owners manual, does it say API SN resource conserving with GF5 approval? Look at the oil you want to use, does it match the manufacturers requirements? It's that simple.

There are so many types of moly that it's just a loaded word.

I'd recommend Pennzoil Ultra if you wanted one of the absolute best

Most Mazda dealers use bulk oil, it is very rare you will get Mazda oil in bottle when you have oil change at dealer.

Just use name brand and correct grade as recommended in owner manual.

Anything that meets the requirements listed in your owners manual will be just fine. Just another reason they get the name "stealership". They'll insist that you use only their oil if you're doing your own oil changes, but bring the car in to them for an oil change and they'll just put in some cheap bulk oil.

Mazdas standard oil is supplied by Castrol and is a Synthetic blend in 0w20 viscosity. Mazda also has a premium HIGH MOLY oil that comes in quarts at a considerably higher price. According to Mazda Factory the high moly oil will give the most protection and lower fuel consumption. As others have said, you will not notice the difference except in your wallet.

I have the same car. The owner's manual specifically recommends Castrol or Mazda.

I'll be using Mobil-1 0W20 EP
smile.gif

Last edited:
I looked at the owners manual and they recommend genuine Mazda Motor oil 0w20 and Castrol 0w20 and some places, they say that what you should use. No Moly requirements were mentioned. But what it boils down to is on pg. 6-27, any API certified 0w20 motor oil can be used in your vehicle and it will satisfy the warranty requirements.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of full synthetic oils 0w20 5 qt. bottles sold in the $20-$26 range at Wal-Mart, even including a Castrol oil. That would better than the dealers $5 a quart synthetic blend.

The owners manual will recommend what oil specs the engine requires. Did you read the manual?

Originally Posted By: NH73
There are a bunch of full synthetic oils 0w20 5 qt. bottles sold in the $20-$26 range at Wal-Mart, even including a Castrol oil. That would better than the dealers $5 a quart synthetic blend.

Mazda0w-20GF-5withMOLY_zpsa91910aa.jpg

Where do you see "blend"

it is labeled full synthetic

Originally Posted By: CT8
The owners manual will recommend what oil specs the engine requires. Did you read the manual?

It says this, grab some Edge or Magnatec and you're good to go.

U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.
For maintenance service, Mazda
recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and
Castrol® (U.S.A. only).

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: NH73

Mazda0w-20GF-5withMOLY_zpsa91910aa.jpg

Where do you see "blend"

it is labeled full synthetic

Ok, that what happens when I comment without checking the product first. But this is what I went off of without correctly reading the post. Sorry.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Mazdas standard oil is supplied by Castrol and is a Synthetic blend in 0w20 viscosity. Mazda also has a premium HIGH MOLY oil that comes in quarts at a considerably higher price. According to Mazda Factory the high moly oil will give the most protection and lower fuel consumption. As others have said, you will not notice the difference except in your wallet.

Could someone do a Moly level comparison between the Mazda High Moly Oil and other Name Brand Full Synthetic oils? This would allow the consumer to get an oil equal to the Mazda oil and be able to shop for a deal.

Some oil manufacturers use titanium and boron based additives to replace molybdenum based additives. Other times those oils will have small amounts of moly added to the titanium and boron based additives. Because of that, I wouldn't feel the need for Mazda's high moly oil.

Another option for your to get the most bang for the money: get the a synthetic oil spec for this engine (SN/ILSAC GF-5 0W-20) from Walmart and the like and then add a can of Liqui-Moly MoS2 (http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...voiladb=web.nsf). You can find this product in places like Autozone for $8. Not very expensive and very low likelihood of creating any issues in your engine (search this site for further feedback on other folks using it without any issues).

In my Passat averaging around 67 data points my MPG increased approximately 3% in city driving when using LM MoS2 (I would expect less gain in highway driving). Of course YMMV :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back