Mazda Introduces the CX30 at the Geneva Motor Show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/mazda-cx-30-crossover-suv-geneva/

This crossover has the SkyActiv X engine. I do find it interesting that they plan to keep the CX3. Also, this is not the new crossover that will be assembled in the new Alabama plant so another model is upcoming. I'm guessing that one will be sized between the CX5 and CX9.

I like the sporty look of this CX30. The rear hatch has that Honda hump thing. Interior is the same as the current models with the exception of the dash which looks more angular with the soft touch lines.

I like it, I just don't see the need for it.

CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 seems like the perfect small, medium, large option. Squeezing one in between the CX-5 and CX-9 makes more sense than between the CX-3 and CX-5.

Nicest looking SUV ever. Was a bit conflicted about the '20 Mazda 3--especially the tiny windows (haven't seen it live), but this looks really nice. To me the CX-3 lacks room and the CX-5 looks a bit bulky--this splits the difference. Way to go Mazda.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I like it, I just don't see the need for it.

CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 seems like the perfect small, medium, large option. Squeezing one in between the CX-5 and CX-9 makes more sense than between the CX-3 and CX-5.

I agree with this. The CX3 is not a big seller in the US. Maybe it is elsewhere? Also, the Mazda3 is getting awd so that blurs the distinction even more.

Mazda should axe the CX3, it's just to small and cramped. It's a nice looking vehicle, I did cross shop it, but it was lacking versatility. I see no reason for the CX3.

I don't know how many CX3's Mazda sells, but I rarely see any on the road, but I do see tons of Subaru Crosstrek's, and Honda HR-V's. The CX30 will finally bring legitimate competition to class.

Looks nice, SUV is key to profitability of the smaller US volume auto makers. VW has 55% of their US sales in two SUV's conjured up in 2018.

Excellent entry the market. I've always thought the CX-3 was a little too small even though the driving dynamic is dialed in. This will better compete with HR-V, Kona and Kicks.

Originally Posted by wemay
Excellent entry the market. I've always thought the CX-3 was a little too small even though the driving dynamic is dialed in. This will better compete with HR-V, Kona and Kicks.

I agree with this. The CX3 was too small and for just a little more one could get the CX5 which is their most popular model.

Another thought here on the CX30 is that Mazda is looking at the Chinese market for gains. It makes good business sense. Even though their automobile sales have dropped due to a softening economy that won't last forever. This model should also do well in Australia where Mazda has been very successful.

Regarding the engines, there are two options. The SkyActiv G 2.0 which is well proven. It does have cylinder deactivation which will have it running on two cylinders. The other option is the SkyActiv X with its SPCCI technology. Luddites will squawk at either choice.

Originally Posted by csandste
Nicest looking SUV ever. Was a bit conflicted about the '20 Mazda 3--especially the tiny windows (haven't seen it live), but this looks really nice. To me the CX-3 lacks room and the CX-5 looks a bit bulky--this splits the difference. Way to go Mazda.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am biased, but have you seen this one?

stelvio.jpg

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by csandste

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am biased, but have you seen this one?

Yes and it seems Alfa Romeo borrows ideas from Mazda. Their new Tonale is pretty sleek.

I want to believe Mazda but I'm having a hard time believing that knocking noise during transition from compression ignition to spark and back is harmless over a couple hundred k miles

Originally Posted by Brybo86
I want to believe Mazda but I'm having a hard time believing that knocking noise during transition from compression ignition to spark and back is harmless over a couple hundred k miles

Is there knocking noise? I haven't had the opportunity to see or hear the engine in person. Not too many have.

Thomas from Autogefühl has a good YT video on the SA-X and he noticed no difference in sound or any aspect change of the engine. All he had was a tablet display that showed the three different modes and when they were in play.

Skip to the 12 minute mark to go directly to the driving portion.

https://youtu.be/Jgsug4KkAqM

I like it a lot. I liked the 2018 CX3 loaner car I had. Mazda has been doing a great job since 2012 with their engines, transmissions and designs. Pretty remarkable too being a company that I believe is only approximately 1.8% of the market.

The Skyactiv engines are showing to be very reliable too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back