Considering Mazda 3, 6, CX3 or CX5 as next car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Good lord, I obviously know about Google and Youtube.

I've done searches on this issue myself, and as I pointed out earlier, the vast majority of what I've seen are gen 1 Mazda3 and Mazda6 models.

In fact, when I just googled "2014 Mazda rust" I didn't see many pics of new Mazdas, I just saw a bunch of pics of first gen Mazda3 and Mazda6 models.

So, I sure haven't seen anything "horrific" regarding late model Mazdas. I've seen some valid complaints about certain areas of the cars like the lip under the back window, but nothing horrific.

I'm sorry you didn't find my reply amusing. Should I come across those images and videos again, I will post links. I saw those images a couple months ago when I first researched Mazda. I believe most of the images were on one of the bigger Mazda forums like www.mazdaforum.com.

hotwheels

I assumed you were joking / jibing about the rust because I live in the SF Bay Area also...rust HAS been an issue with older Mazdas but isn't relevant to anyplace that doesn't see salted roads and snow or temperatures below freezing very often. Personally, I wouldn't be certain that this issue wouldn't effect the newer versions only that it's unlikely to effect you.

I test drove a new 3 a few months ago, and when we opened the trunk there were several rust spots on the trunk hinges. That killed it for me. The paint was bubbled up and rust showing through. The car was only a couple months old and rusting in an unexposed area - the salesman was stunned and actually said "I wouldn't buy this car".

Originally Posted By: dlayman
I test drove a new 3 a few months ago, and when we opened the trunk there were several rust spots on the trunk hinges. That killed it for me. The paint was bubbled up and rust showing through. The car was only a couple months old and rusting in an unexposed area - the salesman was stunned and actually said "I wouldn't buy this car".

I find that rather unsettling. I am not going to ask if this particular vehicle had been sitting in a snow-covered and heavily salted dealer parking lot for months.

hotwheels

No, it was built in June of 2014 and I test drove it in August 2014. It almost seems impossible, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. The metal had to be bad before it left the factory. It was built in Mexico so I assume it wouldn't have been shipped over salt water.

Last edited:
I friend of mine has a 2008 Honda Accord he bought new that rusted from the inside out on the rear fenders, starting the very first year. He pointed it out to the dealer that first year. It got worse over time until it broke through the paint and looked like a rusty old piece from the junkyard. Honda refused to fix it under their rust warranty.

I wonder if vehicles whose manufacturers claim they use galvanized body panels are any less prone to these flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back