Mazda FL-22 options

I found this chart interesting, but I cannot seem to locate a date on it, nor any statement of accuracy, so it's validity today may be in question ...
but at least it's a good starting point for comparing/contrasting purposes.

Both Prestone and Zerex offer their Asian Vehicle formulas in red/blue/green colors to match your OEM color, but the actual formulations are pretty much identical other than the dye coloring. Among others, these seem to be more than adequate for the Mazda FL-22 spec.

Last edited:
Since your flushing I would change to something more readily available. I run G-05 in my old MZ3 for 11 years or so without a single issue. I don’t see any reason why Prestone all makes all models wouldn’t perform well.

At the time our Mazda 5 had coolant changed, the shop was going to first try to remove the thermostat, then run a coolant system power flush machine on it, replace the thermostat, and then use G-05 to fill. However Mazda uses some sort of complex assembly for the thermostat rather than a sensible bauble thermostat. So that was way too much work and cost. I just had them do the straight replacement/drain/fill to blue. So, I guess a change to G-05 is still a possibility in the future when the thermostat dies.

It is interesting. The Ford version, "Specialty Green" superseded to the new Motorcraft Yellow. However Mazda still has the FL-22. There is a new p/n for the Mazda, 0000-77-508F-20, but I don't know what the difference is other than a new label on the bottle.

I stashed whatever VC-10A2 we had left because our system here kept trying to bill it out when I went to bill the Motorcraft Yellow. I may have to start using it while I wait for the FL-22 to show up from Excelda.
yellow has 2eha accordig to 2021 ford sds

i saw a reply somewhere by you , that 2018 sds is 2eha free when they announce that yellow is compatible with specialty dark green
but in 2021 yellow sds https://www.msds.ford.com/documents/201944 D_GBEN.pdf , and products contain 2 eha which is from what I've read is harmful to the plastic .
i saw many mazda with water pump failure because they used dexcool which has 2 eha
what do you recommend?

i saw a reply somewhere by you , that 2018 sds is 2eha free when they announce that yellow is compatible with specialty dark green
but in 2021 yellow sds https://www.msds.ford.com/documents/201944 D_GBEN.pdf , and products contain 2 eha which is from what I've read is harmful to the plastic .
i saw many mazda with water pump failure because they used dexcool which has 2 eha
what do you recommend?

2-EHA is not harmful to plastics, it however was harmful to some poorly designed plastic gaskets on some early 90's GM engines but all it was a gasket issue as all coolants harmed those gaskets. I used to have a Mazda6 with the 3.0L (Ford sourced V6) and when I replaced the coolant the owners manual recommend Dex-cool which worked with no issues. Mazda water pumps fail like all water pumps from old age and wear and tear but not from Dex-cool or 2-EHA.

2-EHA is not harmful to plastics, it however was harmful to some poorly designed plastic gaskets on some early 90's GM engines but all it was a gasket issue as all coolants harmed those gaskets. I used to have a Mazda6 with the 3.0L (Ford sourced V6) and when I replaced the coolant the owners manual recommend Dex-cool which worked with no issues. Mazda water pumps fail like all water pumps from old age and wear and tear but not from Dex-cool or 2-EHA.
but from what i have seen water pump fail prematurely 74k miles when they use mix other coolant that isnt 2 eha free
but if they use fl22 it fail roughly198k miles
the 2 eha in yellow coolant is /www.msds.ford.com/documents/201944%20D_GBEN.pdf[/URL] iam still wondering

The new FL22 part number is intriguing. On some websites, the old FL22 part number indicated that the part was discontinued (mazdaswag). Given that Mazda and Ford already parted their ways, this could be just a coincident. But I wonder what was the reason for the FL22 part number change. Anyone who works at Mazda please shed some light on this?

The new FL22 part number is intriguing. On some websites, the old FL22 part number indicated that the part was discontinued (mazdaswag). Given that Mazda and Ford already parted their ways, this could be just a coincident. But I wonder what was the reason for the FL22 part number change. Anyone who works at Mazda please shed some light on this?
Just a part number change like we always get. They still come from Excelda like all of Mazda's chemicals.

Back