Mazda FL-22 options

Hi Guys

I have a mazda that uses FL-22 coolant - it is due for a change very shortly.
I normally use Prestone all makes and models on ALL of our other cars.

Can this still be used in a FL-22 system?
I plan to do a flush with 4 gallons of distilled water first.

Thanks

Better make sure someone has it if you want to go the FL-22 route. It has been on backorder with Mazda for a month or so. I have a bunch on order and am quickly running out.

Last year I had our 2015 Mazda 5 FL22 changed with Pentosin A3 (blue). Anecdotally, you can switch directly to Asian/Blue from FL22. But, be sure to verify.
Do your research and let us know what you find and then what you do. I am interested in your results.

What is interesting.....the coolant that came in the car is green and not blue like I thought it should be.

if you jump some hoops through the fomoco connection you can use motorcraft yellow or prestone
It is interesting. The Ford version, "Specialty Green" superseded to the new Motorcraft Yellow. However Mazda still has the FL-22. There is a new p/n for the Mazda, 0000-77-508F-20, but I don't know what the difference is other than a new label on the bottle.

I stashed whatever VC-10A2 we had left because our system here kept trying to bill it out when I went to bill the Motorcraft Yellow. I may have to start using it while I wait for the FL-22 to show up from Excelda.

Pentofrost A2 is the "green" version. I would stick to an asian car formula.
Quite true. A2 is not premixed, would allow the 55/45 concentration of FL22, and maybe looks just like it in fashionable forest green. My experience with A3/blue is that it is available in my location. A2 is not. Anything else around here seems to be the all-vehicle types.

I did a drain and fill on my new-to-me Yaris iA last summer with Ravenol FL-22 equivalent from Blauparts. Went for a 50/50 ratio instead of the 55/45 as I don't see the need for a 55% mix in my climate. I haven't lost any sleep over it.

I would (and do) stay away from an AM/AM.

Stick to FL22, the Ford equivalent, Ravenol, or Pentocin.

I would (and do) stay away from an AM/AM.

Stick to FL22, the Ford equivalent, Ravenol, or Pentocin.
Just curious, is there a reason?

I have used Prestone for 20 years without issues.
Used it on toyotas, Hondas, Hyundai's, Audi's.

This is my first mazda that uses fl-22. Just curious if it was something different.

The dealer sells premixed fl-22, which makes doing a proper flush somewhat challenging.

Just curious, is there a reason?

I have used Prestone for 20 years without issues.
Used it on toyotas, Hondas, Hyundai's, Audi's.

This is my first mazda that uses fl-22. Just curious if it was something different.

The dealer sells premixed fl-22, which makes doing a proper flush somewhat challenging.
I’d rather use a coolant that has the same chemistry that the manufacturer called for. AM/AM are typically (not always) simply Dex-Cool clones and could create issues.

Zerex Asian comes in green I believe. I suspect it is more available than FL22.

If Ford Specialty Green went away, I bet it will be on backorder for a while.

Between FL22, and M-V ATF, Mazda is a bit of an odd duck. I got rid of mine, but wondered what I would do for fluids and parts if I kept it.

Mazda Fl-22 is just another Asian P-OAT coolant exactly the same same as what Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Hyundai, etc use just dyed a different color. There's many aftermarket P-OAT coolants you can use, Prestone with Cor-gaurd (aka Ford/Mastercraft Yellow) is now a P-OAT and it's the most widely available coolant out there.

I’d rather use a coolant that has the same chemistry that the manufacturer called for.
This is my only rule when flushing/adding/maintaining coolant. Follow this and stick with the common brands and you can't go wrong. I use Peak (asian blue) in my Honda and Pentosin A2 in my Mazda.

Since your flushing I would change to something more readily available. I run G-05 in my old MZ3 for 11 years or so without a single issue. I don’t see any reason why Prestone all makes all models wouldn’t perform well.
Silicate free HOAT's are readily available. In several colors as well to fit your cup of tea.

Flushing the coolant on a 2016 Mazda is just a fun time and money wasting exercise. If you're at the service interval just drain and fill the radiator like Mazda and practically every other OEM recommends.

How due are you OP? FL22 is good for 10 years or 120K miles, whichever comes first. Like Jake_J said, just dump the gallon or so that resides in the radiator and reservoir every few years, refill and call it a day. If you do this periodically and use the proper asian green fluid, you should never need to "flush"

Back