Mazda dealer refused to change transmission fluid

FordMan59...Thanks for your reply. I believe I'll just replace the fluid and the small filter @ 25k mi. The front of the car w/be on ramps and I'll do a drain when the engine is cold. (Sitting overnight and I'll put 5 qts of new fluid outside.) I made an improvised dipstick, so I know the "Cold/Hot" reading. (I'm assuming the factory put in the correct amount, but there's also an overflow plug you can check w/the car level and at a certain temp.) It sounds like there's some magnet fuzz on the magnets but it is not too excessive. Thanks once again. Bill
I've wondered if a dipstick from an older model would be the right length for my '16. Next time I'm at a junk yard and they have an older Versa with a CVT I think I'll grab the dipstick and see how accurate it is in my car. As far as the magnetic fuzz on mine I saw nothing to be alarmed about and was what I'd consider normal wear. When I did mine I also had the front end elevated and did it on a cold transmission. When I finished the fluid/filter change I ran the gear selector through the gears a couple times leaving it in each position for about 5-10 seconds each to be sure it was all getting lubricated before taking it for a drive. I don't know how the price of NS3 fluid is on eBay now but when I changed mine about a year ago I got 10 qts. for $125 including shipping. I think at the time it was about $20 qt. dealer price. I was also able to buy Raybestos Powertrain filters from Rock Auto for about $7. each.

Last edited:
**** UPDATE ******

Dealer drained the pan and filled with oem mazda fluid, which is only 50% of the total fluid. It seems to shift a bit better, but seems clunky still to downshift when city driving stop-and-go. At this point I dont know what to do, should I get them to drain more and add another 3.5 quarts of new fluid in? I am not sure what to do now...

Has anyone hooked up to the transmission for a diagnostic check for faults or failures? These transmissions are computerized. Reiterating my original response that the fluid might not be the cause here.

Has anyone hooked up to the transmission for a diagnostic check for faults or failures? These transmissions are computerized. Reiterating my original response that the fluid might not be the cause here.
Negative, they did not. However, it seemed to have improved some quite a bit. There is absolutely no code, but I agree that they could do that as well. I really thought it could fix it with a drain and fill, but seems to have partially fixed it.

So here is the condition of my transmission oil after one drain and refill from the dealer. Its very clear to be honest and does not smell burnt. On this picture its with a cold transmission, car not running. I checked it in park after a 30 min drive with the engine running. I am not sure if I had to check it in neutral or in gear? If you guys have that information, please let me know.

But the fluid does not seem to be low and looks in very good condition.

Now I'm thinking it may be a shift solenoid. Seems to be jerky more when downshifting gears or hitting the passing gear, and its intermittent.

Up shifting is great and highway cruising is good, it doesn't slip while shifting on all six gears.

It has a somewhat hard ish or jerky down shift in 3rd and 2nd gear, and sometimes if I floor it at highway speeds, but again, intermittent not all the time, but at least once of twice during a trip to work for example.

Maybe its something related to something else, not the transmission?

Attachments

• oil trans.jpg
    oil trans.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 39
Given the dates you mentioned, sounds like it's just out of warranty? If so, @Doc8404 has good advice.
If you're a spirited driver, get a stick shift. It's more fun and you won't have this problem ;)
So your saying sell the car ? You have quite the control of other people it seems.

Last edited:
More stupid sealed lifetime fluid nonsense. And changing fluid destroys the trans. So if your trans gasket fails you need to replace the transmission.

I would be irrate

Have you checked your engine mounts? The clunky-ness you are feeling may not be from the transmission...

Here is how to access the dipstick/fill port. In this video, he did not pull the pan and change the filter. If doing this, I would change the filter.
Maybe you could do a drain and refill @30k miles and again with a filter change @ 60k.

Since Mazda says sealed for life, do the service techs even know how to change it? Maybe that's why they don't want to do it?

I don’t know Mazda, but if this is the 6F35 like I assume, there is no pan to drop. The case halves must be dissembled to get the filter out. That’s why it’s not user-serviceable. Besides, the factory filter, since it’s not sucking directly from the bottom, is more of a “strainer” than a filter- it’s just to keep chunks out of the trans. The drain plug is however centrally located and has a decent-sized magnet on it from the factory.

Don't worry about it, the dealer is now replacing his trans.
As several have mentioned, unfortunately they seem to take the dumb way out. There are no scans that will show clunky shifting; I did the Honda method when I changed my fluid- drain, fill, drive 5 miles; repeat 3x more and stop on the 4th fill. This freshens like 90% (I forget exact amount) of the factory fill. Then, resetting the fuzzy shift logic seems to be the missing piece of the 6F35. It’s easy to do, but made a huge difference even over nearly new fluid for my car.

I’d let the dealer replace the trans, make sure it’s RIGHT, then never go back there again! Have it serviced at an indie or DIY!

As several have mentioned, unfortunately they seem to take the dumb way out. There are no scans that will show clunky shifting; I did the Honda method when I changed my fluid- drain, fill, drive 5 miles; repeat 3x more and stop on the 4th fill. This freshens like 90% (I forget exact amount) of the factory fill. Then, resetting the fuzzy shift logic seems to be the missing piece of the 6F35. It’s easy to do, but made a huge difference even over nearly new fluid for my car.

I’d let the dealer replace the trans, make sure it’s RIGHT, then never go back there again! Have it serviced at an indie or DIY!
I beg to differ, the "buttocks scan" is a reliable and proven method of ferreting out clunkyness.

I beg to differ, the "buttocks scan" is a reliable and proven method of ferreting out clunkyness.
If you need to take your vehicle to a dealer to perform a buttocks scan, nothing I said will make sense to you anyways. That’s not my target audience.

And, if you want the dealer scanning your buttocks, you’re going to a way different kind of dealer than I do… 🤣

Correct. There was no code, nothing. All the computer readings were like there was nothing wrong with the car.

Sounds like they’re holding out for the day they get to rebuild or replace your transmission at great expense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty much, I don't know if that series of transmission had issues before, I assume they did, I had no problem getting a new one. Mazda will ship the new transmission on the 8th of September, will receive it at the dealership on the 15th of September.

I don’t know Mazda, but if this is the 6F35 like I assume, there is no pan to drop. The case halves must be dissembled to get the filter out. That’s why it’s not user-serviceable. Besides, the factory filter, since it’s not sucking directly from the bottom, is more of a “strainer” than a filter- it’s just to keep chunks out of the trans. The drain plug is however centrally located and has a decent-sized magnet on it from the factory.
the pan ca be dropped, they didn't, just drain and fill. There is a filter too that can be replaced.

Back