Mazda CX-5

I thought the 2.5L turbo engines had a bunch or problems ?

I would stay with non turbo SkyActiv engine. We have a few Mazdas in the family and they are very reliable. Only downside is less gas mileage compared to a Toyota or Honda.

Last edited:

I would stay with non turbo SkyActiv engine. We have a few Mazdas in the family and they are very reliable. Only downside is less gas mileage compared to a Toyota or Honda.
I *think* some year turbo models are subject to a TSB pertaining to head or head gasket issues.

The non-turbos with cylinder deactivations I *think* are subject to problems with the cylinder heads and deactivation (just as problematic, maybe more prevalent of a problem than the turbo cars?). I’m not sure, but I did read somewhere that most dealers actually keep a cylinder head kit in stock for the 2.5’s with cylinder deactivation which isn’t a good thing.

I’ve driven a new accord with 1.5t and CVT for weeks at a time and it’s comparable to my 2017 Mazda 6 without cylinder deactivation and without turbo. I get about 33-34 in my Mazda. Driving the same way in the accord I get 34-35.

yT3Gs4I.jpg

Back