Mazda CX-5

Non turbo I'd probably do the 2.5 S Premium Plus
Turbo take your pick between Turbo or Turbo Signature
I do prefer the black wheels on the turbo model over the signature but ya lose...
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine layered wood trim
  • 360° View Monitor
If ya care about any of those. I have a 2021 Grand Touring Reserve with slightly over 10k miles on it which would be comparable to the current Turbo trim. I've tinted the front windows, added tint strip to windshield, changed rims to black gloss aftermarket, swapped intake to an AEM intake. Might tweak the exhaust next with a corksport and call it a day.

don't forget there is CX-50; its is a slightly bigger on the outside as well as on the inside; that would be my pick

the latest CX5 is long in the tooth by now

I'm 6' 4" and like what has been said about the clever way that Mazda has paired exhausts of cylinders to scavenge the last bit of exhaust gas to keep the turbocharger spoiled up well at the low RPMs to drastically reduce turbo lag. So I really wanted to like Mazda when I saw their vehicles at an auto show. I sat in their vehicles and found every one of them to be drastically lacking in seat bottom length from the back to the front and basically very uncomfortable to sit in because of that. It seems that all of their cars are designed for shorter people than me. So I don't think I'll ever be interested in owning a Mazda in my life.

That said, if the op is tall they should consider sitting in them before signing the contract to buy one.

don't forget there is CX-50; its is a slightly bigger on the outside as well as on the inside; that would be my pick

the latest CX5 is long in the tooth by now
the cx-5 is not an inferior vehicle in comparison to the cx 50 in any way except for towing. it is lighter, faster, has better rear suspension. and the cx-50 does not have a signature trim. at least in canada. the cx-5 signature has a much nicer interior. but yes, if you want a bit more space and towing, it has that over the cx-5. if you like to drive, the cx-5 is the better choice. i have a 2021 mazda 3 turbo and the rear torsion beam suspension is only ok if you are not a spirited driver. i often drive quite spirited and if there is too much fairly large bumps on the road in rapid succession, my rear end becomes overwhelmed. it simply cannot take it. and this rear suspension setup is also on the cx30 and cx 50. and it is one of the main reason i will not buy another mazda. i like spirited driving and this suspension setup simply cannot take it. and the road network in quebec is atrocious. really not terrible for a torsion beam suspension setup.

to me CX50 is more modern, lower, wider, yet with higher road clearance, and in my playbook scores more points then its much older sibling CX5

I have a new 2023 Select, non turbo. It's plenty spirited. I have to say the only thing I don't have that other models have is the sunroof. I would not own the turbo as there is nothing to be gained with it, and more to loose. The engine simply needs no Turbo. The interior is pretty nice. Mazda does it right!!

Attachments

• 9Whhg6dDTTy9eoiax+w7yw.jpg
    9Whhg6dDTTy9eoiax+w7yw.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 15
the cx-5 is not an inferior vehicle in comparison to the cx 50 in any way except for towing. it is lighter, faster, has better rear suspension. and the cx-50 does not have a signature trim. at least in canada. the cx-5 signature has a much nicer interior. but yes, if you want a bit more space and towing, it has that over the cx-5. if you like to drive, the cx-5 is the better choice. i have a 2021 mazda 3 turbo and the rear torsion beam suspension is only ok if you are not a spirited driver. i often drive quite spirited and if there is too much fairly large bumps on the road in rapid succession, my rear end becomes overwhelmed. it simply cannot take it. and this rear suspension setup is also on the cx30 and cx 50. and it is one of the main reason i will not buy another mazda. i like spirited driving and this suspension setup simply cannot take it. and the road network in quebec is atrocious. really not terrible for a torsion beam suspension setup.

Was curious how the torsion beam in the rear handled so good feedback. Not only did they borrow the torsion beam from the cx30 but they also borrowed too much plastic around the wheel wells from it as well.

I would not own the turbo as there is nothing to be gained with it, and more to loose. The engine simply needs no Turbo.
I have driven both and disagree. Even if you don’t care about the improvement in raw acceleration, the day-to-day driving experience is improved with the extra low end torque.

Downsides to the turbo engine are that it is only on the higher trim levels, and it does consume a little more fuel.

I also prefer the CX-5 to the CX-50 as well.

Thanks for all the quick responses,I'm only 5'11 so lengthy isn't my issue.Thanks miden851 for the link to the video.I like to do a lot of research and thinking before I go to a dealership.I had a 2014 CX-9 which I really enjoyed.My friend from H.S-salesman sold me a New Tiguan,6 year72,000 warrenty 2019 at a steal of a price.Great vehicle.No problems.I'm retired and trade to new every 4 years.Salesman friend is retiring and I'm comfortable at the Mazda garage for service.I drive just 12,000 a year,so not in a big hurry.Just like to reward myself with a nice vehicle without over doing it.I think the CX-5 will do it,better seats without that stitching.

i have been driving my sister CX5 and it has the smaller 2.0L motor and it is completely adequate for me and my wife. It gets up to 70 quickly and returns 33-34 mpg on interstate runs. Handles a rides comfortably and hauls a considerable amount of stuff in the back. It easily spins the front tires on takeoff. Its a fun economical ride.

Carbon edition has a lot for the money.
Turbo motor definitely adds some needed oomph. Not sure how that motor will handle boost long term, though.

The 50 is more 'offroad ' oriented whereas the 5 is more 'luxury '

That said, there isn't a huge difference. The 50 is like driving a bigger 30.

Oh, and their premium sound system (bose?) isn't really any better than their standard speakers.

I love the interior - minus the seats.. Bose is better than the stock system but in no way premium. At least the stock system is easy to DIY. The information on the CX5 bose system seems to be scarce. The '23 have the new seats which, I have not tried yet, I've heard are million times better than the previous model years.

I do not have the turbo model on mine, which is fine for me for most occasions but there is that 5% where a turbo would have really helped for passing or short ramps. Regardless, still faster than my previous 1.0L focus. The carbon trim has a turbo option I think.

I'm not a big fan on styling of the CX50 but that's just my opinion. The new rear taillights on the CX5 look like the ones on the new CRV.

Last edited:
I'm 6' 4" and like what has been said about the clever way that Mazda has paired exhausts of cylinders to scavenge the last bit of exhaust gas to keep the turbocharger spoiled up well at the low RPMs to drastically reduce turbo lag. So I really wanted to like Mazda when I saw their vehicles at an auto show. I sat in their vehicles and found every one of them to be drastically lacking in seat bottom length from the back to the front and basically very uncomfortable to sit in because of that. It seems that all of their cars are designed for shorter people than me. So I don't think I'll ever be interested in owning a Mazda in my life.

That said, if the op is tall they should consider sitting in them before signing the contract to buy one.
Mazda sometimes makes strange decisions. I bought a 2014 Mazda3 because I'm 6'5" and needed a commuter car and the Mazda3 had great headroom without the sunroof but yes, the seat bottoms were too short.

Thanks for all the quick responses,I'm only 5'11 so lengthy isn't my issue.Thanks miden851 for the link to the video.I like to do a lot of research and thinking before I go to a dealership.I had a 2014 CX-9 which I really enjoyed.My friend from H.S-salesman sold me a New Tiguan,6 year72,000 warrenty 2019 at a steal of a price.Great vehicle.No problems.I'm retired and trade to new every 4 years.Salesman friend is retiring and I'm comfortable at the Mazda garage for service.I drive just 12,000 a year,so not in a big hurry.Just like to reward myself with a nice vehicle without over doing it.I think the CX-5 will do it,better seats without that stitching.

When I bought my CX-5 at the end of May 2022 the Tiguan was my second pick. I preferred the look of the Tiguan in white but chose the CX-5 based on...

1)CX-5 Turbo quicker than the Tiguan which might not matter but coming from a Mercedes figured I might notice it if too much slower.

2)Parts on my Mercedes were higher priced so figured VW might be the same or make me buy a bunch of star sockets like I had to for the Mercedes, so thinking Mazda more reliable and if not at least the parts won't be inflated in price or make me buy new tools.

3)Fake exhaust ports on the Tiguan, VW needs to make them functional just like Mazda needs to reduce the plastic cladding on the CX-30 and CX-50 as it makes them look cheap.

Very happy with my CX-5 Turbo and very easy to do your own oil changes on them. If I ever do buy a white Tiguan I will customize the exhaust ports to functional.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27
Back