Mazda CX-5 Skyactive Transmission fluid?

Hi, I'm buying a 2016 Mazda CX-5 AWD. The manual calls for Mazda Type FZ fluid, but I read on another forum that the newest model Skyactive transmissions spec a newer fluid that is backwards compatible and better than FZ fluid.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this??? Thanks!

Nope, Type FZ is what you need. I have a thread on the DIY somewhere here.

And welcome back!

Originally Posted by The Critic
Nope, Type FZ is what you need. I have a thread on the DIY somewhere here.

And welcome back!

Video of a 2014 cx-5 change. Only issues i see are

1. He used scotchbrite to clean the pan lip. I keep scotchbrite away from trans and engine internals, although he said he cleaned it with brake parts cleaner.

2. He used too much gasket sealer, its oozing out a bit.

Overall shows the basics of how to do it.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks guys, and thanks Critic! It's been a while.

I'm thinking I'll skip the filter and just do periodic drain and refills. I read on a forum where it took a guy 3 hours to scrape the old silicon off the pan and transmission...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Drew99GT

I'm thinking I'll skip the filter and just do periodic drain and refills. I read on a forum where it took a guy 3 hours to scrape the old silicon off the pan and transmission...

Drain and refills are just fine. No need to remove pan.

Originally Posted by Drew99GT

Thats what i'm going to do. I think i will do the first at about 30k and every 30k. Maybe the pan drop and filter change at 100k. At our current rate that will be a while.

i have searched if previous atf before CAFE regulations were better or not
and couldn't find solid awnser

Back