Mazda CX-5 - Direct Injection?

I was going to buy a Mazda CX-5 once I get rid of 2020 Tucson.
I have been reading how good the CX-5's are, anywhere I looked, it's the best selling, best rated SUV in it's class. But all those reviews and test drives, none mentioned it's a DIRECT INJECTION! I can't believe I missed that.

Anyway, like a few others, I'm trying to avoid Turbo, Direct Injection and CVT at all. Are the Mazda's DI any better than others' DI? I know Porsche and some others' DI is somewhat better, but I'm not looking to buy any European vehicle. I'm looking for a small affordable trouble-free CUV/SUV. Thanks for your advice.

I was going to buy a Mazda CX-5 once I get rid of 2020 Tucson.
I have been reading how good the CX-5's are, anywhere I looked, it's the best selling, best rated SUV in it's class. But all those reviews and test drives, none mentioned it's a DIRECT INJECTION! I can't believe I missed that.

Anyway, like a few others, I'm trying to avoid Turbo, Direct Injection and CVT at all. Are the Mazda's DI any better than others' DI? I know Porsche and some others' DI is somewhat better, but I'm not looking to buy any European vehicle. I'm looking for a small affordable trouble-free CUV/SUV. Thanks for your advice.
Yes , they are direct injection. They seem to have less problems with carbon buildup being reported.
The N/A versions have start stop "feature" the turbo does not. They all have a six speed regular auto transmission.

Mazda is using some weird wizardry to cut down on carbon buildup.

Toyota took their Skyactiv tech and coupled with their D4-S port/direct FI to create their Dynamic Force engines.

Currently, you are pretty limited in your options if you want to avoid DI. The Pentastar and HEMI are two non-DI engines, so you could look at a Grand Cherokee. Not sure who else is producing port injected engines at this point?

The SkyActiv engines have been direct injection from the beginning. They are proven and reliable engines. There are also turbo models as well. The upper trims of the CX5 are turbo SkyActiv.

I would not let that worry you. Drive the car and maintain it well and you will get a long life from that CX5.

The current generation of RAV4s have a conventional automatic, no turbo and a hybrid port/DI FI system. The hybrid fuel injection system should reduce any worries you may have about carbon buildup and fuel dilution. Now if you can stomach the looks…

The SkyActiv engines have been direct injection from the beginning. They are proven and reliable engines. There are also turbo models as well. The upper trims of the CX5 are turbo SkyActiv.

I would not let that worry you. Drive the car and maintain it well and you will get a long life from that CX5.

That's somewhat comforting. But I don't want DI and Turbo, lol

We are on our second CX-5. The first was a 2014 and my wife loved it, and we drove until around 110k miles. She did, however, state that she was losing mpgs a little bit, based on her very routine weekly driving as the same mileage was taking a little more gas at her weekly fill up. She's not car or engine savvy, so take that as you will. Is it a result of carbon? No idea. Regardless, we loved the car, and went with the turbo this time. That car is quick!

The current generation of RAV4s have a conventional automatic, no turbo and a hybrid port/DI FI system. The hybrid fuel injection system should reduce any worries you may have about carbon buildup and fuel dilution. Now if you can stomach the looks…

I like the current gen RAV4 over the previous gen, but don't they have CVT?

Not driving much any more, no need to drive fast, got all the time in the world.

Same here but when I bought our CX5 the main points were the comfort and utility for our needs. I get 32-33 mpg and that is comforting with gasoline prices approaching $5 a gallon here.

The engine runs butter smooth on 0w20 and the transmission is one of the best I’ve owned. We have had it four years with absolutely no problems.

I have a 17 cx-5 non turbo. The only issue engine wise is cold weather and short trips. Short trips in cold weather really threw a lot of fuel in my oil. Like >5%.i remedied that with heavier oil in winter and a short oci.

The vehicle drives great , handles well and is very quiet. I like the power seats they are very comfortable.

Now the annoying part. The electronics. The automatic wipers do not have a typical delay setting, and don't work well in light rain. Light rain it's either wiping too fast or too slow, no way to adjust.
Medium heavy rain , it's ok.

There is this odd long beeping sound when the drivers door is opened. We don't know what it is. Does not do it if you unlock with the remote. It you open the door with the proximity feature, you get the loud 3-5 seconds of beeping for no reason. Our phones are easier to use than the on board nav. Takes too long to enter a destination/address.

I've driven the rav 4 and the ride quality is nowhere near as good as the cx-5. The cx-5 is also much quieter.

I would buy another one , the plus side outweighs the minor annoyances.

Last edited:
There is this odd long beeping sound when the drivers door is opened. We don't know what it is. Does not do it if you unlock with the remote. It you open the door with the proximity feature, you get the loud 3-5 seconds of beeping for no reason.

I haven’t run into that. I have a ‘17 as well.

Back