Mazda 6 Transmission Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter has a 2012 Mazda 6 with the 2.5 L at about 40,000 miles. I've done 3 drain and fills starting last spring at about 35,000 mi. She got the car at 25,000 mi June 2013. The owners manual does not have any recommended service for the transmission. What do you guys think would be a good service plan for this transmission?

When I picked up a 2008 Elantra for my daughter 2 years ago I did 3 D&Rs (at 30K) using Maxlife/LG Red. I plan on doing this every 30K. (less than 2 quarts drains when the plug is removed so 3 D&Rs is the minimum I'd do with the Elantra).

I think your plan is a good one. Even if only half the fluid is changed you are still renewing the additives which should lead to long transmission life.

What ATF did you use?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Great plan. Fresh clean ATF = long transmission life.

On our Hondas I do it every 30K miles.

Yes. On my Honda I do 1 drain and fill every year
blush.gif

I used the Mazda M5 that I purchased at the dealer - about $8/qt. - takes about 3 on a drain and refill.

How did you do the drain and refill? Mazda stupidly put no fill tube or dip stick on our 2011 Mazda 6. Where are the drain and fill points on the 2.5's trans?

Mine has a dipstick that is secured with a small bolt. You have to look for it. I think it is only meant to be used on the initial fill as there is no mention of it in the owners manual. I fill through that. To drain - I drop the splash shield and then you can find a drain plug on the transmission pan.

Once a year or every 10k is my recommendation. Mazda doesn't have the best AT reputation.
Adding an inline filter can also help.

Full synth universal multivehicle ATFs can also be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back