Maytag Neptune Washer - No Spin

I was reminded of this story yesterday while tracking down a problem on another appliance.

A number of years ago our Maytag Neptune washing machine suddenly wouldn't spin, the door wouldn't lock and clothes came out sopping wet. A service call yielded the bad news that it needed a several hundred $ new control board.

The washer was older and I wasn't prepared to spend big $ on it. So I searched around on the internet and found out that the wax motor had failed taking out the control board, on a site offering a repair kit with complete instructions for +/- $25. What was there to lose?

So I spent a Saturday morning taking the washer apart to the extent necessary, replacing the wax motor and soldering in two replacement parts on the control board. It took a bit of time but wasn't that hard and the washing machine was still working well at least 5 years later when we sold the house (with the washer).

Here is information on the same (or at least a similar) repair kit: http://www.neptunehelp.com/

NOTE: If you have a Maytag Neptune washing machine check for an all brown wax motor (see above site). If it does, it should be replaced with a wax motor having a black plunger as soon as possible to avoid all of the above.

Thank you for posting this as I like hearing about these fixes. Last year our 15 year old Maytag Atlantis would not agitate due to what I believed was a transmission failure. After doing some research a common failure was a plastic gear inside the transmission (not sold separately by Maytag). It looked like a very time consuming job despite finding a replacement gear for only $25, so I decided 15 years was long enough for a $500 machine which had never experienced any issues. I bought a FL LG and I know it will not last 15 years

ecotourist - thanks for the suggestion.
There are several web-sites that sell replacement parts (of any brand) and also offer good advise for DIYer's

My Maytag Washer and Dryer are 35 years old / never needed the Maytag Repairman.
Last Week I replaced the Ignitor on the Dryer (had a spare already).

Because of the Virus and being home more, I studied all the components of the Dryer
and now have a much better understanding of how everything works.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid

[Linked Image]

Sad to see that Maytag has abandoned the lonely repair man.....maybe because they don't make them like they used to.
frown.gif

Back