Maytag gear oil 350572

I will repeat, my 1985 Maytag LAT toploader started to leak in 2010. I drained the OE oil, replaced the bottom seal and cleaned up the brake/pully from the leaked lube, a green gates belt from NAPA with MAYTAG in the part number was used for the drum and a green gates belt also with MAYTAG in the part number was used for the drain pump.

I used Permatex ultra Black on the cover and filled it with approx 1 pint on M1 75w-90. The permatex and M1 were stuff I had in the garage. That washer is still going strong. I bought it for $75 in 2008. We've had 2 kids since 2012 and it hasn't ever stopped running. No leaks yet. Don't overthink this, it's a plastic geared ⅓ HP motor. This isn't going to the moon.

I will repeat, my 1985 Maytag LAT toploader started to leak in 2010. I drained the OE oil, replaced the bottom seal and cleaned up the brake/pully from the leaked lube, a green gates belt from NAPA with MAYTAG in the part number was used for the drum and a green gates belt also with MAYTAG in the part number was used for the drain pump.

I used Permatex ultra Black on the cover and filled it with approx 1 pint on M1 75w-90. The permatex and M1 were stuff I had in the garage. That washer is still going strong. I bought it for $75 in 2008. We've had 2 kids since 2012 and it hasn't ever stopped running. No leaks yet. Don't overthink this, it's a plastic geared ⅓ HP motor. This isn't going to the moon.
I hear you. I just do not want to fool with this again. The seal was a PITA to fully remove and clean up the surfaces.

I ended up getting the straight 90 GL4 gear oil from Advance auto. That should do the job.

I think you mean 1 Quart not 1 pint. Every thing I read said to fill it about 1/2 the volume. In any event your post is valuable.

Yes, it may have been 1Qt. It was awhile ago. I won't get rid of this washer until it rusts out. There is nothing like it made today other than a Speed Queen, and those are pricy!

Yes, it may have been 1Qt. It was awhile ago. I won't get rid of this washer until it rusts out. There is nothing like it made today other than a Speed Queen, and those are pricy!
You said you replaced the lip seal yourself. I am having trouble getting the seal to start. It comes with a red tool to support the hard rubber seal. I measure the od of the seal an it is about .830" . The bore it is to fit into is .770". That is a large press fit . Something does not seem right. I call the supplier and they told me there is only one part number for this application. Whirlpool/Maytag Lip Seal 207843.

What am I missing?

Oh man, I don't remember. I do remember the plastic cone it slid over.

I drained the oil before I did it the way it shows in the video.

Honestly, it was so long ago i dont remember how hard it was.

I figured it out. The Seal is actually a thin steel sleeve coated in some kind of hard rubber or plastic. It was very hard to remove and the outer plastic coating pulled out on the ID leaving the rest of the seal in place. The steel sleeve exposed giving the impression it was the ID of the shaft. It was deceiving. In other words, thought I had the seal out, but did not have all of it. It took looking at some other YouTube videos, and zooming in to the shaft and seal up close to understand what everything looks like. Thanks for your help and everyone's comments. Cheers!

Back