maxlife or durablend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello. im thinking about switching oils in my 2001 grand prix and im stuck between valvoline maxlife, and valvoline durablend. my car has a 3.8 liter v6 with 90000 miles on it. i want a synthetic blend, and ive always liked valvoline.... i noticed the durablend is more expensive, but from the labels, the maxlife says it has more things to help your engine. i would appreciate any and all input on this, thanks in advance....

I'd stick with what you've been using.

They are both excellent oils. If you tell us that you'll be following the OLM you'll be fine.

If you WANT (don't NEED it) a syn blend
21.gif
, then I'd go with the durablend.

Take care, Bill

MaxLife since its designed for your application..a car over 75k.

I topped off with some MaxLife when I was a quart low. After that the car was never low on oil. Around the same time I also replaced the Pcv valve. I was running MC syn-blend 5w20 when I topped off. I was also doing alot of hwy driving at the time which can burn more oil than normal.

I would go with the MaxLife. It has a heavier base oil compared to the Durablend,(ML=3.3, DB=3.0), it has a higher 100C cSt, it has 300 ppm moly and I don't know that Durablend has any, it has more antioxidants, and more cleaning agents.

Around my parts, the Durablend and the MaxLife are the same price($15.50 for 5 quart jug) but Durablend is harder to find.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I would go with the MaxLife. It has a heavier base oil compared to the Durablend,(ML=3.3, DB=3.0), it has a higher 100C cSt, it has 300 ppm moly and I don't know that Durablend has any, it has more antioxidants, and more cleaning agents.

Around my parts, the Durablend and the MaxLife are the same price($15.50 for 5 quart jug) but Durablend is harder to find.

What about the Zinc. Isn't Maxlife known for the tremendous amount of moly as well as the Zinc? Any ZDDP or is that what the Zinc replaced?

MaxLife has the GF-4 ZDDP levels. It works out to 830 zinc, 760 phosphorus. These are normal for SM, GF-4 in a 30 grade oil. To this they add 300 moly. According to threads in the additive section, 300 moly would be a light anti wear or a heavy FM. Maxlife also has other Fm adds they don't talk about. I am GUESSING, organic.

MaxLife has 1910 calcium and 490 sodium in their detergent pack. Their SA is only .93, which I think is good. This gives a TBN of 8.3, the level of many ACEA A3 oils. They also appear to have a small amount of esters. This is probably seal conditioners and some form of cleaning agent. They speak of a cleaning agent other than the calcium and sodium.

Maxlife IS a syn blend. Their web page says ot's 30% syn and 70% regular.

Then there is also Maxlife full syn.

When my Tahoe reached 100K miles I decided to try Maxlife after running M1 since 80K, and Castrol GTX before that. I installed Maxlife semi syn and after about 500 miles the oil was very dark and I could see a build up of varnish on the dipstick. I had never seen that before but was concerned it might have dislodged some varnish or sludge and deposited it in another part of the engine. At 2000 miles I drained it and changed it to Valvoline Synpower. Now at 500 miles I have no varnish on the dipstick and the oil looks clear.
I don't know if the Maxlife cleaned out all the junk from prior
oils, or if the Maxlife itself somehow broke down and left the deposits on the dipstick. I'm thinking of switching to Valve Durablend on my next change since I'm not using any oil or have leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back