Maxlife ATF for Toyota WS

I have an 06 tundra. it specs the WS.

Having gone through this recently, I feel my opinion has some weight to it.

I would Not use maxlife.

When I bought it the truck, I discovered it had a BG synthetic universal installed in it 3k prior, full flush, by the dealer. It shifted fine. firm shifts into gears. quick and solid. almost a little rough, like a mid-90's civic. BG had a biiiig long list of vehicles it was compatible with.

I went to Amsoil's site. Their ATF had a very similar list.... except no WS. WS and Dex VI get their own fluid, separate from all the others. The difference? it's a different viscosity....thinner.

I swapped out half of the fluid. The shifts were actually quicker, and there was less engagement "thud." It was just more refined. There's no slipping during shifts unless WOT.

So--- I'm sure the trans will tolerate maxlife just fine, but I didn't want to run the thing at higher pressures than it was designed for. Overall feel is better on the thinner fluid.

Granted, I didn't do a full flush. I evacuated 4 quarts and put 4 quarts in, with no mixing. (It only has a 1.7 qt sump). So it's not 100% of the fluid. But the difference is enough that I'll say just put the money into a more vehicle-specific-designed fluid.

m

Thanks for all the comments. Taking into consideration the viscosity of the fluids, I think I'm going to go with Maxlife. It's awfully close to the Amsoil that's worked for many people, and I'll save about $100 going this route. Maxlife seems to be a quality synthetic and I haven't come across any real evidence that WS is something special. I've even seen comments that an MSDS which came in a case listed it as having a mineral/conventional oil base. Plus, my local dealer is the worst and I'd like to avoild giving them any more business.

cSt @ 100
MaxLife - 6.11
Amsoil ATL - 6.0
WS - 6.0 (this was not from a PDS, so I can't be 100% sure)

Something to consider is that the Supert Tech Dexron-VI label states that it is WS compatible. I'm not interested in going that cheap, but at that cost it did give me pause. I think the Maxlife is a good middle of the road choice.

Well, I did it today. It's shifting like new on the Maxlife.

Dealer service = $300

DIY 14 quarts of Maxlife ATF = $70

Win.

Photo shows the old and the new.

91gcqs.jpg

Just an update for any interested parties. Two days and 100 miles later, it's shifting better now than anytime I can remember.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Well, I did it today. It's shifting like new on the Maxlife.

Dealer service = $300

DIY 14 quarts of Maxlife ATF = $70

Win.

Win for sure. And $230 in your pocket for other things. Hard to find negative reviews for ML. Well respected here both for performance and price. I think that's called value.

Good to read you are satisfied with your choice.

Glad to hear it's shifting well in your Toyota. I love it in our Acura, but don't like it in our Honda. Castrol IMV works better in our Honda. I think it just depends on the particular unit. Members on forums like this one provide excellent information on what works and what doesn't. Glad the Valvoline product is working for you!

Use Toyota WS only it is the best ATF for your truck. I saw another poster said to use some type of ATF that stated it was "suitable" for use in Toyota, there is a huge difference in the words "suitable" and "approved" if your not sure call the tech support and ask them if it is approved for use in a Toyota and will back it up if Toyota denies a warranty claim for using a unapproved fluid.

It would be great if the alarmists could refrain from posting about my pending transmission doom. I'm just looking to see if anyone has had success.

Originally Posted By: crazy8
Use Toyota WS only it is the best ATF for your truck. I saw another poster said to use some type of ATF that stated it was "suitable" for use in Toyota, there is a huge difference in the words "suitable" and "approved" if your not sure call the tech support and ask them if it is approved for use in a Toyota and will back it up if Toyota denies a warranty claim for using a unapproved fluid.

Oh, thanks.

Maxlife is the same viscosity as WS, and is a synthetic fluid. WS appears to be a conventional mineral-based formula costing double what the (in my opinion) superior Maxlife does. From analysis posted on this site by others, it appears that Maxlife also has the better additive package. At 72,000 miles, my truck is well beyond the warranty period, and is shifting better on Maxlife than I can recall it having done since new.

I will disagree that WS is the best for my truck. At $10/qt, it's certainly one of the most expensive choices. But, aside from some alarmists on the internet who are waving their arms around in panic, I have seen no evidence that WS is better than the Maxlife (or Amsoil ATL) for the 5-speed auto in my Tacoma.

If you really must post about the transmission disaster that awaits me, please provide some evidence that the Maxlife will damage my specific transmission and why.

Just an update for any interested parties. Two days and 100 miles later, it's shifting better now than anytime I can remember.

Yet another positive MaxLife ATF review. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: buster

Yet another positive MaxLife ATF review. Good stuff.

Yessir! 3,800 miles on it now, and it's still shifting very well. I'm glad I did it (for half the price of WS and a quarter the price of the dealer service).

I wonder where LeakySeals is now ?? I see him always down talking Ashland products, yet now that we know this works , contrary to what he said, he is nowhere to be found in this thread ??? Im not a diehard fan of Ashland products, but Maxlife is one line of products I would use with confidence as long as they were compatible with the application. Glad this fluid exchange worked out that well for you !

Toyota WS replacement- what tools do you need to do it according to factory procedures? I read someone who did the procedure and it sounds complicated- monitor temp of fluid (through scan tools) to certain temperature,
its very sensitive to overfill,
it was not a drain&fill...but I'm not a mechanic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cathy
Toyota WS replacement- what tools do you need to do it according to factory procedures? I read someone who did the procedure and it sounds complicated- monitor temp of fluid (through scan tools) to certain temperature,
its very sensitive to overfill,
it was not a drain&fill...but I'm not a mechanic.

Tacoma ATF Flush Procedure

So how is Maxlife holding up? The price of WS has gone down to about $6.50 online but shipping charges still make it more expensive to buy than Maxlife. I may use it on the next trany fluid change.

Back