max. safe OCI on Chevron supr.10/30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Chev.supr. 10/30 in my Arx "rinse" phase, and I and the car like the oil.
I'm considering running this oil even after the Arx rinse with Motorcraft FL-820S filter.(the engine: 97 4.6L sohc Ford-tbird, 91,000 miles)
With about 70% highway driving, what would be the maximum safe OCI with this oil?
Would this max.amount of miles be OK with this filter, too?

How would it be with Pennz.HM 10/30 or 10/40?

I'll have to choose between these two.(IF the Arx has stopped my little consumption completely...otherwise the Chevron 10/30 would be my choice)
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Do a search in the UOA section under my user name. I have a 4600 mile Chevron 10W-30 OCI analysis posted. From my results, I'd say Chevron 10W-30 is easily good for 4-5k intervals w/ 70% highway driving.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Do a search in the UOA section under my user name. I have a 4600 mile Chevron 10W-30 OCI analysis posted. From my results, I'd say Chevron 10W-30 is easily good for 4-5k intervals w/ 70% highway driving.

--------------------------------------
novadude,

Thanks for the reply.
4k-5k....that's good to hear;
do you think the oil filter can also go that mileage?
Did you have to change yours before 4-5k?

Any oil filter will go that distance. I would also say that milage would be more than safe. Why not do an oil analysis just for curiosity. Then you'll know for sure.
smile.gif

just a me too post to agree with Al.

Chevron anal's have looked good....despite the fact that their "goodness" is deeper that their "skin". In other words, the things (basestock, adds, crafting) that make Chevron oil have pretty good used oil analysis' don't really appear in a simple VOA.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Any oil filter will go that distance. I would also say that milage would be more than safe. Why not do an oil analysis just for curiosity. Then you'll know for sure.
smile.gif

----------------------------
Al,

Thanks for the response;
good suggestion about the UOA: I've already got my free kit from Blackstone. I'm currently in the "rinse" phase with Chev.Supr 10/30, and as soon as I change oil next time after the 2000 mile rinse phase, I'm going to put Chev. 10/30 in again with new filter, and do a UOA after 3K or so miles(is that a good point to do a UOA?).

Depending on the UOA, I'll probably be able to decide if I can run this oil for about 4K or not, I think.
If the UOA is good, then I'll probably say "bye" to Pennz.10/30 HM(pretty thick)...at least during the cold months.(PennzHM 10/30 also has been good for me,but wanted to avoid the esters during Arx, AND 'cause of a "suspected", and very minor leak)

I'd still have a VERY hard time deciding betw. Pennz.HM 10/30 and Chevr.supr.10/30....-((

I use 6,000 km as a standard with Chevron Supreme 5W30, even if city driving, but have some customers who do daily commutes of 70 km (mostly on asphault) each day and run 20,000 km. I've been trying to get one to give me a sample to run but they say why bother.

I'm doing 3k OCIs on Chevron Supreme 10w30, but most of my commute is stop-and-go. I would consider stretching it to 4k if I drove more highway miles.

At the current Chevron Supreme price of $00.69 per quart, after rebate, you could probably just swap out the 4 or 5 quarts of oil in the drain pan every 3,000 miles, & change the filter every other drain...

At this price for an SL/GF-3 oil, I use it by the case!
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
At the current Chevron Supreme price of $00.69 per quart, after rebate, you could probably just swap out the 4 or 5 quarts of oil in the drain pan every 3,000 miles, & change the filter every other drain...

At this price for an SL/GF-3 oil, I use it by the case!
cool.gif

If that is going to float your boat, get several cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back