Max Life ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm thinking of changing my trans fluid on my 05 Tacoma. I have access to Valvoline MAX ATF. I see hwere its applicable to Toyota WS, but does not meet the viscosity requirements. Max ATF is a 7, while Toyota WS is a 5. I also have access to DEX VI as well. Do you think using Dex VI or Max ATF will cause any significant changes or problems. Thanks.

I think that the DexVI bottles of Wal-Mart's SuperTech do mention Toyota WS as one of the fluids it can be used in place of. Matter of fact, I believe the WS is also mentioned on the bottles of SuperTech MerconV fluid. Either of these would be by far your least expensive option of a replacement fluid. But I do not see any mention of WS on the Maxlife ATF bottles.

How many miles on your truck?

Unless you have the A340E transmission, I would not use Maxlife.

Why would anyone consider using a cheap ATF in their truck tranny? I don't get that at all. That's NOT where you want to try and save a few dollars.

First of all, you don't have to change the ATF fluid all that often anyway.

Secondly, why not spend just a few more dollars and put in the good stuff that is already rated for the WS replacement?

Redline already has a WS compatible fluid, the D-6. And Amsoil is introducing one next month. I would use one of those superb alternatives rather than a cheaper one that MIGHT be compatible.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Why would anyone consider using a cheap ATF in their truck tranny? I don't get that at all. That's NOT where you want to try and save a few dollars.

First of all, you don't have to change the ATF fluid all that often anyway.

Secondly, why not spend just a few more dollars and put in the good stuff that is already rated for the WS replacement?

Redline already has a WS compatible fluid, the D-6. And Amsoil is introducing one next month. I would use one of those superb alternatives rather than a cheaper one that MIGHT be compatible.

The OP was considering using Maxlife, which was obviously to save money or he would just get the dealer fluid, right? Any fluid other than the WS from the dealer is going to fall under 'recommended for', whether it is a premium fluid from Redline or Amsoil, or a lower price fluid from Wal-mart. The only "approved" fluid will most likely be from Toyota itself. I asked him how many miles his truck has to see if a fluid change was really needed and also to see if his truck might still be under warranty from Toyota.

You do understand that some people don't require the best of the best for everything that is related to their auto. You seem surprised that someone would actually recommend an everyday retail product instead. Do you have experience using such inferior ATF as SuperTech? I do, and ST has never let us down, and we have used it sensibly over the years. That's how I can suggest it as a reasonably priced alternative.

I have an 06 Tacoma and am currently running redline D6. I have had great results using it thus far. I looked at it from the perspective of going from a group III (toyota WS) to a group V with some IV. It shifts pretty much the same as the WS did when new. I would strongly recommend against the use of Maxlife in this low viscosity application as others have already noted.

Make sure you are aware that this transmission has a special level checking procedure that must be followed. I have used supertech in other transmissions and it was fine, although I don't know any toyota guys that have used it in place of WS. For that I would stick with what has worked for a few of us and right now thats D6.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. The reason I asked about Maxlife is that I work for a division of Valvoline, and work with/for them. Max Atf is good stuff, but was just curious as to what you guys have experienced with other fluids other than WS. Like I originally said- I have cheap access to Max ATF and Dex VI.

My truck is an 05 Tacoma and has 75K on it. It doesn't reccomend changing untill 100K under "normal driving." I consider myself to not do "normal" driving. So what the heck might as well do it.

BTW, some of parts of my job give me the ability to visit the Valvoline lab a few times a year when they "showcase" their stuff. Amazing lab, and people working there.

Last edited:
At 75K you are definately past due for a change. WS seems to shear after about 50K ( from what I have experienced in my truck) so you are on the right track as far as changing it before the crazy 100K factory recommendation. The Dex VI should work just be sure to avoid the Max Life. THats cool that you get to check out the valvoline lab and whatnot.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy

You do understand that some people don't require the best of the best for everything that is related to their auto. You seem surprised that someone would actually recommend an everyday retail product instead. Do you have experience using such inferior ATF as SuperTech? I do, and ST has never let us down, and we have used it sensibly over the years. That's how I can suggest it as a reasonably priced alternative.

Nope, I've never used any inferior WM branded ATF. Never will either, as there are better alternatives for me to use. Using an inferior ATF is foolish, IMO.

Listen, my point is that since you don't typically change the ATF that often ( and especially so in the OPs case since he's done nothing for 75k ) then why would you not use the best fluid available? Sure, it's a few dollars more, but on a drain and refill you're only talking about 4 quarts, so it might cost him $20 more. Big deal. And if he looked around ( like AZfireguy did ) he might be able to get enough for a complete flush at a wholesale price.

You said you've had good luck with the ST products when using them sensibly. OK, I can beleive that. What about people like the OP who go 75k before they even think about the fluid?

Also consider the fact that it's a royal PITA to change out the ATF on this Toyota with the WS fluid in it. Wouldn't it make sense to spend a few dollars more and put in a fluid that was going to last as long as possible?

And to top it off, the OP was considering using an ATF that wasn't even compatible!! Maxlife has a vis of 7 but he needs one with a 5. So obviously he needs some direction, and I was just pointing out that your ATF is not where you want to start skimping on quality by using, in your own words, an inferior product.

Keep in mind that a licensed Dex VI cannot by definition be inferior quality fluid. I recognize that ST fluids are not the highest quality out there. ST is a good alternative for those who do not see the value in spending double on a superior product like Redline or Amsoil. Spending six dollars a qt or more on a name brand Dex VI for a drain/refill is even too much to pay, IMO.

The biggest thing for some folks is to actually change the trans fluid once in a while. If I quote a price for the high dollar stuff, they may not change it at all. If I give them a lower priced alternative, at least they get some new fluid in there to do the trans some good.

For a simple drain and refill, the ST DexVI would be perfect. If you are going to the trouble of a couplete flush like AZ did on his, then the D6 would obviously be the way to go. I don't waste money on partial fluid changes with primo fluids.

Let's try single sentences, full paragraphs might have been too much...

>> Better to spend money on top dollar fluids since they aren't changed very often.

>> Better to spend money on top dollar fluids since it's difficult to change the ATF in the OPs Toyota.

>> Better to spend money on top dollar fluids since the OP is going 75k between changes.

>> No, don't use Maxlife, it has the wrong viscosity.

>> You can't use a multi-use ATF and expect results as good as one specifically designed for the application.

>> I am trying to show the OP that the best value is in using a superior product for this application, not in using an inferior product like ST.

Please remember that we are talking about the OP and his truck, not your customers. Try to stay on topic :)

Never left the topic.

I used my customers as an example of many people out there. He did not say that he had gone 75k miles already until after my first post. Most people go far longer than that before changing their ATF. I gave him a better alternative to the Maxlife which he was considering based on the special low price that he could get with his connections. The ST Dex VI still fits that low price and would be a fine fluid to use. Does not matter if you agree. I have a good reason for what I suggested, based on his original post.

I'm not here to argue with you or respond to your rude posts any longer as you seem determined to win something and to only keep hammering your idea that the most expensive fluid is the only sensible solution for anyone, including the OP. Anyone can show up on threads and recommend their favorite boutique fluid and degrade and belittle the input of others that doesn't agree completely with their own.

I actually agree that the better fluids mentioned, combined with a COMPLETE fluid replacement FLUSH are the way to go and you have not picked that up.

Neither did you seem to pick up the fact that I recommended against the Maxlife in my first post.

Since when is D6 a fluid specifically designed for WS? It is a high quality fluid for Dex VI applications, Toyota WS, and other low viscosity apps. Sounds like another multi-use fluid to me, and a very good one at that.

So what's your point? To start and then win an argument?
I'm here to learn as well as genuinely share with others looking for real advice. Why are you here?

I'm just here for the cookies, and in this thread to help the OP make a better choice.

No more arguing from me about this, if single sentences didn't work, what's left? Single phrases?

Hopefully the OP sees the value in using a superior fluid in this critical application over an inferior fluid.

Thanks for the help fellas. Got it done today used an ATF exchanger via the cooler lines. Used Valvoline Dex IV. So far, so good. It cost the best price of all, Free.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I actually agree that the better fluids mentioned, combined with a COMPLETE fluid replacement FLUSH are the way to go and you have not picked that up.

Neither did you seem to pick up the fact that I recommended against the Maxlife in my first post.

Off Topic Question:
For those of us who do our own maintenance via drain and fills, How much worse off are we by not doing a flush?

I have never done flushes, only drain/refills and never had a problem. I also don't wait until my ATF fluid is overly used either so maybe this is why.
wink.gif

I do not know what kind of trip you are on. But even the "cheaper" fluids when changed at the right time work well. The only time you need the "expensive" stuff if you have a highly modified road machine. If this poster used any of the recommended ATF for his TACO he would be fine.

There's not anything wrong with simple drain and refills, and you get anywhere from a good third to half or more of your fluid changed this way. In many cases however, there is no drain plug and the pan must be pulled down to drain the fluid. In that situation especially, I like to do a drain, filter change, and refill/flush. Lots of times I actually open up a cooler line to pump out most of the fluid in the pan to make it easier to drop down for servicing. Also, if the fluid is really degraded, a cooler line flush is the quickest and least expensive way to replace all the old fluid.

If you have a drain plug, it makes it rather easy to just drain out the 3-7 qts in the pan every so often to keep the fluid in good shape. It just does not seem like the smart thing to do with a ten dollar/qt premium fluid.

Do you have a 05+ tacoma? They are picky about fluid. At one point people were only using Toyota WS. It is synthetic. It also shears fairly quickly. Redline came out with an alternative that works very well and is much more robust than the original WS. Supertech Dex VI does cover the WS spec as well but is not of the same quality. Will it work, of course but its not optimal.

It also requires a special level check procedure that is kind of a PITA. This makes using a higher quality fluid and having to change it less often, less expensive if you take it to a shop and not as such a headache if you do it yourself. This is all a benefit of longer OCI thanks to a higher quality fluid. Or he can take his chances with something unproven like Supertech VI ( in this truck specifically) and change it more ofter.
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back