Markup on wine in restaurants

I thought people go to restaurants for the food and to bars for drinks. While there is some overlap on both ends, the goals are the same. I also read occasionally about a restaurant that goes out of business if they lose their liquor license. Will people just not go to a restaurant if they can't have alcohol? Isn't the food the main attraction? Or are many people like Raj on the BBT who cant function socially without being liquored up?
It's not that they go out of business because people don't go there, it's that the markup is so high on alcohol, that's where the majority of the profits are. No profits means you're out of business. Same as the dealerships, they don't make money on selling cars, they make it in service. Many restaurant business models involve selling alcohol.

This thread is the perfect example why this forum has become a junk status in recent years. Adults acting like children.
HAHA. from someone that has started all of just 10 posts in the last 11 years. Maybe post some "quality" posts here and class up the joint for the rest of us.

It's the all-to-common, "I'm just a poor, victimized hillbilly who can't know about anything..." speech.

It's a variant of the 'position' of those who neglect their cars. They all know everybody is a liar and out to harpoon them.

We go to good BYOB restaurants and avoid so called "fine" restaurants. We've learned to assess them.

There's real value and phony, starched shirts out there. Go where you get real value. Don't play the wounded, confused puppy all your life.

Have at least that much brains, involvement and class.

Do I have to donn my flame suit?

Like Reply

HAHA. from someone that has started all of just 10 posts in the last 11 years. Maybe post some "quality" posts here and class up the joint for the rest of us.
This thread hardly counts as a “quality” post. It has a just below trolling feel to it. Asking a deliberately obtuse question designed to elicit strong response.

Asking a deliberately obtuse question designed to elicit strong response.
This bitog. There are a couple of those posted here every day. Guess because it's in the food section it stands out more. A few in just one other section:

Difference between a 5w30 and 5w40 engine oil​

Post your latest parts purchase​

Firestone Store Visit

Most wine lovers, those who enjoy a meal with it, understand and don’t mind the mark-up. It’s called Wine and Dine.
For the others, there is White Zinfandel 😏

Come on guys, we are all at least adolescent here, be nice to each other. There's trolling and there's insult. We can argue with respect and troll with humor.

To the OP,

do your bring your own steaks to a restaurant and ask them to cook them for you?

Nothing out of line here.
At the fish market in DC, you can buy all kinds of fish and seafood, then take it to some restaurants around the corner that will clean, prepare and cook it as you want. Yes unusual, but not unheard of.

To the OP,

do your bring your own steaks to a restaurant and ask them to cook them for you?

Nothing out of line here.
Some would not mind, they may subtract their own raw material cost for the meal though, so your $60 steak is now $55 with BYO steak. You also better buy something better than theirs or their chef will laugh at you, and if something is wrong with that steak you cannot send it back to the kitchen because "it is your steak, not the cooking".

Typically this only happens if you go to a fisherman's wharf restaurant and you want to cook your fresh catch, not next to a Safeway for you to bring your grocery purchase.

At the fish market in DC, you can buy all kinds of fish and seafood, then take it to some restaurants around the corner that will clean, prepare and cook it as you want. Yes unusual, but not unheard of.
So, if you fall sick after eating, who gets the blame: the chef who cleaned and cooked it or you for bringing bad product?

Back