March 2018-production Fram PH8316 is NOT silicone

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you may know, Fram recently improved the orange cans, and they now use a silicone ADBV.

However, Ford's Zetec engine installed in the Contour, Focus, Escape, and their Mercury clones, uses a special filter with an anti-siphon valve. Fram's part number is PH8316.

The 8316 is not a fast-moving application, and in fact, Walmart still has stock from 2014 in their stores, and some 2015. I was lucky enough to find one December 2017-production PH8316 with the silicone ADBV, but it is dented! So, I ordered one from Amazon. The Amazon filter is very fresh production, coming from March 2018, but get this... the ADBV is black, not silicone!
mad.gif

I emailed Motorking asking him why.

Nobody has a recent production TG8316 in stock, and Walmart no longer carries it in stores and is now online-only. But the TG is listed as out-of-stock on walmart.com

Rock Auto doesn't actually have their own inventory, so they'd have no idea whether any Frams they have in-stock are cent production at all. But I have bought a Wix 51315 from them last year, and it was made in January 2017.

I will be cutting open the dented silicone can soon.

December 2017-production PH8316, date code A73421, silicone
March 2018-production PH8316, date code 80802, black rubber

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
As you may know, Fram recently improved the orange cans, and they now use a silicone ADBV.

However, Ford's Zetec engine installed in the Contour, Focus, Escape, and their Mercury clones, uses a special filter with an anti-siphon valve. Fram's part number is PH8316.

The 8316 is not a fast-moving application, and in fact, Walmart still has stock from 2014 in their stores, and some 2015. I was lucky enough to find one December 2017-production PH8316 with the silicone ADBV, but it is dented! So, I ordered one from Amazon. The Amazon filter is very fresh production, coming from March 2018, but get this... the ADBV is black, not silicone!
mad.gif

I emailed Motorking asking him why.

Nobody has a recent production TG8316 in stock, and Walmart no longer carries it in stores and is now online-only. But the TG is listed as out-of-stock on walmart.com

Rock Auto doesn't actually have their own inventory, so they'd have no idea whether any Frams they have in-stock are cent production at all. But I have bought a Wix 51315 from them last year, and it was made in January 2017.

I will be cutting open the dented silicone can soon.

Sooooo..... i guess you dont want the few 8316's i nabbed at rural king eh?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Date code 80802 looks to be missing the 'A' at the beginning.

And its still better to spend a few cents more and get ANYTHING else! Even the silicon adbvs they do make fail at a far higher rate than any of Wix, M.H./Puro or Champions products.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Date code 80802 looks to be missing the 'A' at the beginning.

Yes, it's A80802. Sorry for the typo

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
And its still better to spend a few cents more and get ANYTHING else! Even the silicon adbvs they do make fail at a far higher rate than any of Wix, M.H./Puro or Champions products.

that is not true at all! There is VERY widespread ADBV failure with Purolator, especially their high-end filters Boss, Synthetic, even the Bosch D+

And many cheap Wixes use combo valves that some people on here strongly dislike. And I've even had a torn ADBV on a standard Wix (made after the Mann takeover, but before Mann redesigned/cheapened it).

Do you have any experience with Hastings? They don't use silicone in any filter, but they do know how to make a good slotted center tube.

If that was true we would have seen many reports of that over the last 10 years ... this forum has not seen it.

Fake news!
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Run
What exactly is the point of the anti siphon valve?

Keeps the center tube and the oil path below the center tube from draining (siphoning) out.

I've noticed this with my PH3980. Very high volume filter (Or high flow. Get it? haha), but I've seen silicone and nitrile back and forth on the shelves.

It's a neat feature for sure, but to me it's just feel goods. The nitrile has always been pliable for me at the 5k mark and others here have ran them for nearly 10k and have reported the same.

*I've also seen the updated silicone photo on the box, but with nitrile.

Last edited:
If Silicone is that important to you, buy another brand or model. My wife's Motorcraft 402s used to be silicone, but not anymore. Even created a big argument between me and rockauto over the phone. What they have pictured is silicone and what I received was nitrile.

They allow me to return them, but at my shipping dime. They are not liable for sudden filter-product changes - enough so-that they pay for return shipping, and have it in writing. So I used their nitrile402 for 10K and never encountered a dry startup. Was there a tear?...... haven't a clue, for 99% of Purolator-made/Motorcraft purchasers do not cut open their filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back