Manual transmission sl1 grinding into 4th

Hey everyone when I bought this little Saturn a couple weeks ago the shifter assembly was bound up and made it very hard to shift and the master cylinder for the clutch rod had broken loose from the master so both of these parts needed to be replaced so I did that and I was hoping that that was the reason it was grinding in fourth. (Probably a long shot). So I did all of this I changed the fluid and I just used O'Reilly's house brand Dex 3 ATF and the car still grinds going into fourth when shifting normal. If I press the clutch pedal for about 3 seconds and then shift it'll go right in. Doesn't pop out of gear once it's in either. I'm pretty sure fourth gear synchro is just weak. Question is is there a certain fluid that I could put in the transmission to maybe help the synchronizer work better. I know some guys have ran synchromesh in these I don't know if that would be of any benefit or not. I realize that eventually the transmission will have to be replaced but for now if I could get by for a while with a Band-Aid I'd like to do that. It's just a cheap runabout anyway. What's your thoughts? Car shifts flawlessly in to every other gear.

ATF in a manual transmission? Alot of mfg's specify this and I think honda did but alot of people have had an issue running atf in a manual transmission with grinding.

Try gear oil.

Pennzoil Synchromesh has always been my go to in transmissions that grind. Some people swear by 15w40 or 10w30 diesel-rated motor oil but I've never tried it.

0000255_mtl-75w80-gl-4-gear-oil_464.jpeg

I was a factory trained Saturn/EV1 technician. ATF is the spec. The syncros are fiber coated just like the fiber disks in the AT. Stick with ATF. Are the shift cable housings starting to come apart at the ends? Look where the cables exit the housings beneah the shifter.

Avoid Tanks opinion. GM moved towards Syncromesh fluid.

Ed Peters, a retired failure analysis engineer at Chrysler, is on record for stating the only reason ATF was used in manual transmissions was to save money. It eliminated an additional UAW assembly workers job at each such factory and the added complexity of a separate station dedicated for manual transmission gear oil. ATF doesn't perform as well in a manual.

It was all about saving money, not was best.

I was a factory trained Saturn/EV1 technician. ATF is the spec. The syncros are fiber coated just like the fiber disks in the AT. Stick with ATF. Are the shift cable housings starting to come apart at the ends? Look where the cables exit the housings beneah the shifter.
Cables are brand new. I do know that since they are fiber coated some gear oils wouldn't work but I do believe synchromesh would be ok. I'm just not sure it would actually help

Pennzoil Synchromesh has always been my go to in transmissions that grind. Some people swear by 15w40 or 10w30 diesel-rated motor oil but I've never tried it.
Have you had a grinding gear that it actually helped? Testimonials is what I'm looking for 🤣

Have you had a grinding gear that it actually helped? Testimonials is what I'm looking for 🤣
In a saturn? No. But I've used in a NP435 that had a fussy second gear synchro, T18/T19 that was garbage, NV4500, etc. I've never been disappointed by it.

I've had a bunch of these... a grinding trans is a mechanical failure. Slap another one in there or double clutch.

Saturn S Series are one of the few that you cannot use Dexron VI in...

I suggest a TES-295 fluid, which is the same viscosity as Dexron III, but full synthetic...

This is what scares me about buying a non-Honda manual transmission. It is difficult to find the correct oil for it! :censored:

Since your car says to use ATF, the Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchrmoesh MTF oils should work for you. Both are slightly thicker than Dexron III but still thinner than 75w90 gear oil.

One gear oil NOT to buy is Ultra1plus (formerly Ultralub). Here is why.

ATF in a manual transmission? Alot of mfg's specify this and I think honda did but alot of people have had an issue running atf in a manual transmission with grinding.

Try gear oil.

Honda actually uses motor oil in their manual transmissions :D

However, the Pennzoil and Valvoline MTF listed above will work in Hondas.

Wow that's awesome! Cool that they trained you on the EV1 :cool:

I can't believe GM actually bothered to train people on the EV1 since they crushed them all anyway :alien: :poop: :devilish:

Especially since they're cheap enough to just use ATF in their manual transmissions :sneaky:

Why don't you double-clutch into fourth, both going up and coming down... Also, do change the fluid, even for the same (presumably) OEM recommended fluid...

That should buy you some time.

Fluid was changed again tonight I used Valvoline synchromesh and so far no change. Grinds in 4th unless you shift into the gear very slowly. Ugh. Gotta love cheap cars!

Back