Manual Transmission Additives

Hi everyone,

I have used manual transmission additives to fix synchro crunching and hard shifting.

These additives claim both smoother operation AND better protection/longevity of the gears, synchros etc.

When I used them, I was always very impressed with the results of better shifting and so on.
But I find it hard to believe that they offer only benefits and no cons.

So my question is, what are the negatives of using these additives? Do they wear out synchros faster?

I used this particular additive with fantastic success (in fixing crunching gears):

Never knew such an additive existed. I'd like to use a CVT fluid in a manual transmission as an experiment if I had a crunchy manual.

PTFE is an insoluble AFAIK; not sure why they want that in the lube.
As for the rest, it falls into the topic of all other additives ... competing chemistry may cause adverse effects.
I'd rather have a well-formulated lube from a trusted source, as opposed to adding in my own stuff and potentially causing a witch's-brew disaster.

Yeah, PTFE? Hilarious. I'd skip it and use some proper dedicated MTF instead.

Addendum: Just to add to the understanding of Friction Modifiers; Friction Modifiers can refer to friction increasers, friction reducers, and lastly friction modifiers to attain the correct dynamic friction coefficient as in step-shift automatic transmission and other wet clutch assemblies. In CVT ATF, a friction increaser is used to attain a better traction coefficient for the belt/chain system.

Each fluid type and fluid application has a different additive package and contains different Friction Modifier and AW chemistry for the specific materials used in those transmissions or differentials.

The friction modifiers in engine oils are NOT the same friction modifiers as found in ATF's. The friction modifiers in ATF's are NOT the same friction modifiers as found in LSD gear oil.

For an LS differential with flat plate or cone clutches that friction modifier is used to prevent chatter.

In MTF's, the friction modifier is used to enhance synchro engagement/disengagement. The chemistries are entirely different and react differently.

In engine oils the Friction Modifiers are primarily there to reduce friction.

Hi everyone,

I have used manual transmission additives to fix synchro crunching and hard shifting.

These additives claim both smoother operation AND better protection/longevity of the gears, synchros etc.

When I used them, I was always very impressed with the results of better shifting and so on.
But I find it hard to believe that they offer only benefits and no cons.

So my question is, what are the negatives of using these additives? Do they wear out synchros faster?

I used this particular additive with fantastic success (in fixing crunching gears):
Sorry, but the claim dooen't match the science. Solid PTFE particles should never be introduced into any lubricant.

"G70 is also compatible with, and suitable for use with, automatic transmission fluid and engine oils, where they are the manufacturer's recommended lubricant for manual gearboxes."

A really ignorant statement. What happens when PTFE gets imbedded into auto transmission wet clutches? Can you say slip, slip, slip?

"Nulon G70 combines a balanced blend ofPolytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) with other extreme pressure and anti-corrosion compounds."

Another false and ignorant statement. No formulator puts EP additives in a manual transmission fluid.

Sorry, but the claim dooen't match the science. Solid PTFE particles should never be introduced into any lubricant.

"G70 is also compatible with, and suitable for use with, automatic transmission fluid and engine oils, where they are the manufacturer's recommended lubricant for manual gearboxes."

A really ignorant statement. What happens when PTFE gets imbedded into auto transmission wet clutches? Can you say slip, slip, slip?

"Nulon G70 combines a balanced blend ofPolytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) with other extreme pressure and anti-corrosion compounds."

Another false and ignorant statement. No formulator puts EP additives in a manual transmission fluid.

They state NOT to use this in auto transmissions.
The quoted part you mentioned was to use in manual transmissions that use ATF.

So what would you say is the harm in using these?
As mentioned I have used it with success, albeit short term since I only recently added it to a car that had a crunching 2nd gear.

Is this a short term advantage at the cost of longevity of the transmission?

As mentioned I have used it with success, albeit short term since I only recently added it to a car that had a crunching 2nd gear.

If you actually suffer from weak sychronizers you'd better use some dedicated
MTF that include appropriate friction modifiers (some to increase friction). And
NO other 'additives' since it makes matters worse.

Is this a short term advantage at the cost of longevity of the transmission?

Clearly and simply: yes, worn synchronizers, even more quickly. Synchronizers
hate PTFE!

They state NOT to use this in auto transmissions.
The quoted part you mentioned was to use in manual transmissions that use ATF.

It does say this but this claim is both dubious and ambiguous. Some poor guy just married and just starting out and working a low paying job, and doing his own oil changes to save up, may not be able to discern the ambiguity. These are the people I worry about. :cry:

Back