Manual Lockout Mode - 8 speed

I'm not sure why I was avoiding using "L" more often. Keeping it in L4 or L5 around town is nice. L6 at 80mph I at around 3k rpms. In normal D in 8th gear, it's usually 1,900k-2k rpms. It's not really a manual mode, it just allows you to select the max gear it will go to.

I think using L when driving locally is beneficial. With the way most transmissions are programmed today, with this being no exception, it wants to drop into the highest gear often as quickly as possible. Hunts around a bit too much when in regular D.

Last edited:
Back in the day (1980's) when 4 speed auto overdrive transmissions became available it was common to have a PRNDL with a D and a second D with circle around it indication overdrive. Owner's manuals explained to use D in regular in town driving and shift to OD on the freeways or just leave it in OD as you had a choice. Today's 6,7,8,9,10+ transmissions I think are best left in D - they are very intelligent and handle 99% of drivers needs as is.

Back in the day (1980's) when 4 speed auto overdrive transmissions became available it was common to have a PRNDL with a D and a second D with circle around it indication overdrive. Owner's manuals explained to use D in regular in town driving and shift to OD on the freeways or just leave it in OD as you had a choice. Today's 6,7,8,9,10+ transmissions I think are best left in D - they are very intelligent and handle 99% of drivers needs as is.
A Trifecta tune eliminates the OE hunting in the Colorado, but it comes with a warranty risk. I had it in L4 a lot today and it kept the rpms higher and didn't shift as much. Just felt better. Normally it will drop quickly into 8. It's not terrible in D, but could be better.

A Trifecta tune eliminates the OE hunting in the Colorado, but it comes with a warranty risk. I had it in L4 a lot today and it kept the rpms higher and didn't shift as much. Just felt better. Normally it will drop quickly into 8. It's not terrible in D, but could be better.
I know the feeling you are talking about and GM has issues getting their transmissions perfectly tuned. They have gotten better but to be honest owning 3 vehices with the ZF8 speed I can say I have never experienced a better transmission that seems to read your mind as it is always in the right gear. My GM vehicles on the other hand hunt around and sometimes just miss a good shift all together - and then the shudder.....

I still don't like the 10 speed in the 2021 I've had for 3 and a half years. Probably never will get used to all these annoying gears. I wonder if a shop could program it to act as a 5 speed. First and ninth are the most useless in the 10l80 from having a lot of time using it.

Why do you need so many gears? Like 8 makes sense but 10+ it seems it would spend more time shifting than it would in gear

I use the lockout mode on my Chevy 6L90 when driving through the mountains especially on one one particular route that has grades up to 8%. It keeps it from hunting when going up a steep grade and is perfect for saving the brakes when going down a steep grade.

I use manumatic on my CX-5 when going down my city’s steep hills every day. Sport mode works fine on the incline… in fact it’s probably a bit overkill, keeping the RPMs at about 3000 in city traffic, going up from there on hills.

I use the “range select” as Chrysler calls it but mostly just to keep it out of MDS. Rarely will I encounter a situation where it hunts (like in traffic that can’t make up its mind about what speed) and requires to me to select 7th or 6th as the highest gear.

I'm not sure why I was avoiding using "L" more often. Keeping it in L4 or L5 around town is nice. L6 at 80mph I at around 3k rpms. In normal D in 8th gear, it's usually 1,900k-2k rpms. It's not really a manual mode, it just allows you to select the max gear it will go to.

I think using L when driving locally is beneficial. With the way most transmissions are programmed today, with this being no exception, it wants to drop into the highest gear often as quickly as possible. Hunts around a bit too much when in regular D.
I've said this forever about Ford's 6R140. On our "Main St" where the speed limit is 35 I "delete" 5 and 6 so it's not lugging it.

I use the “range select” as Chrysler calls it but mostly just to keep it out of MDS. Rarely will I encounter a situation where it hunts (like in traffic that can’t make up its mind about what speed) and requires to me to select 7th or 6th as the highest gear.
Tow mode on my ram seems to disable mds.

Back