manual gear box oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the gear oil in a manual steering gear box for Suzuki samurai. The manual just says 90w gear oil. Could i use 75w90, or would that cause problems? Also does it matter if its GL4 or GL5?

Thanks for any help.

Everything I've heard is that the Sammie's drivetrain is pretty tough - don't see why a normal 75 or 80w90 gear oil wouldn't work, but GL4's are preferable because the extreme pressure additives in GL5's can bond to the surface of soft metal synchronizers and, when engaged, the EP takes the surface of the soft metal with it rather than giving itself up.

Originally Posted By: Malador
I need to replace the gear oil in a manual steering gear box for Suzuki samurai. The manual just says 90w gear oil. Could i use 75w90, or would that cause problems? Also does it matter if its GL4 or GL5?

Thanks for any help.

That depends on what your owner's manual says. For my ECHO it can be either one.

I've been using Amsoil lately and it seems to work great. You might try the product finder on their website and see what it says. I tried but I didn't know what year your car is.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Malador

Thanks for any help.

That depends on what your owner's manual says.
For my ECHO it can be either one.

I've been using Amsoil lately and it seems to work great. You might try the product finder on their website and see what it says. I tried but I didn't know what year your car is.

it doesn't say.

Unless your manual specifically states a GL5 fluid, I wouldn't go near it. The high level of anti-friction additives can essentially blind the synchronizers, not to mention potentially eating up "yellow" metal parts.

The OP is talking about a manual steering box, not a manual gear box. I don't think there'd be any yellow metal parts in there. It's not going to be terribly particular about oil in my opinion. 75w-90 should be fine.

Guess it'd help if I read all the words...
laugh.gif

Are u sure about 90w?
Cause SAE J306 doesn't know about such an oil, the highest- 85w.
Read your manual carefully one more time

Originally Posted By: WhoKnows
Are u sure about 90w?
Cause SAE J306 doesn't know about such an oil, the highest- 85w.
Read your manual carefully one more time

From the factory service manual
"....Add prescribed gear oil , SAE 90."

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Guess it'd help if I read all the words...
laugh.gif

I could have titled the thread better

I prefer the Amsoil MTLs over Redline and others. If its specifically a 90W only, defined that way, there are such designated lubricants for various euro makers. Redline does make a specific MT-90 fluid.

Avoid gear oils with VII if you can.
I would pick (generally) VII-free gear oils like SAE90/85W90/80W90.

Originally Posted By: zeng

All engine oils and gear lubricants contain some VII.

I would recommend Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG.

Originally Posted By: zeng

Geez, I had to reread that 11 times before I finally stopped saying "seven, seven ? seven.. what does seven mean in this context ?".

Oh yes, viscosity index improvers.

80W90 is fine for 'Zuki boxes. I have had good results using Coastal lubricants in transmission and steering applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back