Managing Expectations

Serious question....do I need to adjust my expectations of businesses in 2021?

I have two items going on with car part vendors right now that just makes me want to stop contributing to the economy altogether. I feel like businesses must be making so much money, that customers, and the way they're treated, doesn't matter.

I ordered a set of new take-off leather seat covers from a seller on E-bay. I'm aware I agreed to the terms of the sale, when I hit "buy", but I don't really understand why the terms are what they are. I purchased them on 9/24, and the sale stated an estimated delivery date of 10/4 - 10/8. The seat covers are already separated from the seats, and I guess they're just laying around their shop until someone decides to toss them in a box and ship them. 6 days after purchase, and they have not yet been shipped yet. Is this just laziness, or is it possible that they're SO busy that nobody has time to box them up and ship them? Or is it that regardless of their bandwidth, they're not going to be shipped until the last possible second to make it to me by 10/8, just on principle? This situation seems ridiculous to me, but also makes me question my expectations. They were paid for on 9/24, so why let them lay around, when you have a clear opportunity to get them moving, and pleasantly surprise a customer with an early arrival?

Yesterday, I located a set of leather-trimmed door panels at a wrecking yard in Haltom City, a bit more than 50 miles from my house. I called to confirm availability, and was told "Yep, we have 'em". I drove over there yesterday, and worked with them while they looked them up on their computer, to ensure they were finding the right ones (some are cloth, come are leather, and it seems some people don't notice the difference). They found them in the system, and I said "great, let's have a look". I was then informed that they were still mounted to the car, and the car is at another location, and that I would not be able to see them until I paid for them, so he could hire a parts picker to go pull them. I told him I wasn't paying for something I haven't seen (below is the only picture they had....not enough for me to determine what condition they're in). He said they offer a 90-day return policy, to which I replied that I would not be making another 100-mile round trip to come get them, just to find that they're damaged, and I left.

Am I expecting the moon and stars, or are retail establishments going off the cliff if ineptitude and apathy? I have serious misgivings about giving my money to places that operate like this, but since most places are operating like this as of late, should I just bank all my money and donate it to charity when I die, rather than put it back into the economy?

Anyone else put off by this, or am I expecting too much?

Door Panel.jpg

I feel your pain. But I'd given up on many businesses before the pandemic. They just don't care about the customer. I spend my money where I feel the love. Last time I dealt with a junkyard was 20 years ago and it was an unpleasant experience.

On the first one, you agreed to the delivery dates. And there is a lot of "I guess" in your assumptions about what is happening there - sure they may be separated and just waiting to be boxed up, but what else did the seller already commit to? And that's why they gave you the delivery date you did. And yes - many businesses are that busy.

On the second, beyond, yep, we have them, did you inquire further about next steps? Not uncommon at a wrecker to have multiple locations and a need to actually pull the part...

So there are certainly some adjustments given the current circumstances of supply and demand. Add in workers no longer willing to be exploited by employers vis-a-vis wages, job security, health insurance, etc.

And here we are.
You can't disconnect from the economy and survive so you'll likely have to update your expectations.

And remember, we could have been past all of this by now....

If the seat place is richmondauto they will come through for you eventually. I ordered new leather from them for the seats in my 98F150 Lariat, I waited twice as long as they said it would be but after a couple of phone calls they did show up and they are great quality.

If the seat place is richmondauto they will come through for you eventually. I ordered new leather from them for the seats in my 98F150 Lariat, I waited twice as long as they said it would be but after a couple of phone calls they did show up and they are great quality.
It's actually Shelby. Not really a matter of them coming through at this point. I'm sure they'll ship them in time to arrive on 10/8.

Ive found that wrecking yards are hit or miss to begin with. So that side of if you take your chances. Their attention to detail is an issue, but their location relative to yours is not.

For stuff on eBay, I’ve seen both very early receipt, and some stuff that takes forever, up to the anticipated date. I would probably give them the benefit of the doubt, they probably are doing a million other things, and get a reminder from eBay on what hasn’t shipped yet…

On the first one, you agreed to the delivery dates. And there is a lot of "I guess" in your assumptions about what is happening there - sure they may be separated and just waiting to be boxed up, but what else did the seller already commit to? And that's why they gave you the delivery date you did. And yes - many businesses are that busy.

On the second, beyond, yep, we have them, did you inquire further about next steps? Not uncommon at a wrecker to have multiple locations and a need to actually pull the part...
In regard to communications with the wrecking yard, I have no idea what their processes are, and took his response at face value. Since they do know their own processes, wouldn't it have been nice if he'd extended the effort to say "we have them....they're still on the car, sitting at a remote lot". I wouldn't have made the drive to the location where they claim to have the door panels, but might've made other arrangements with them.

Shame on me for assuming they have them after they said they have them, when they really don't. In hindsight, I should've said "so, you have your hands on them right now?", and perhaps I wouldn't gotten a more accurate response. It's a shame you have to pin people down like that to get the real information. It feels like pulling teeth just to get answers to basic questions.....when you want to get more specific, you're met with attitude.

You pays your money, you takes your chances.

All you can do is trust your gut about your purchases and hope for the best.

If you expect anything but the lowest possible service from a wrecking yard you're going to be disappointed. Ebay isn't far behind.
Maybe just Dallas wrecking yards. Door panels on the way from Georgia. Lots of pictures in the ad, and they actually got off their butts and shipped them next day.

Doorpanels.jpg

In regard to communications with the wrecking yard, I have no idea what their processes are, and took his response at face value. Since they do know their own processes, wouldn't it have been nice if he'd extended the effort to say "we have them....they're still on the car, sitting at a remote lot". I wouldn't have made the drive to the location where they claim to have the door panels, but might've made other arrangements with them.

Shame on me for assuming they have them after they said they have them, when they really don't. In hindsight, I should've said "so, you have your hands on them right now?", and perhaps I wouldn't gotten a more accurate response. It's a shame you have to pin people down like that to get the real information. It feels like pulling teeth just to get answers to basic questions.....when you want to get more specific, you're met with attitude.

As others mentioned, if you expect a lot at most wrecking yards, prepare to be disappointed most of the time. Let's just say that most working there aren't there because they offer great customer service. There are exceptions, but by and large...

In a perfect world, yes, it would have been nice for them to say more. In the end, they do have them - just not at the location you assumed they did, and not prepped in the way you assumed it would be. Lot of assumptions being made there, and before I drove 100 miles, a few more questions were probably wise.

I never assume anything when it comes to parts from the wrecker - way too many issues and stories when everything isn't spelled out.

Largest problem today seems to be staffing, crosses all spectrums. We've had many local business either cut back hours or close a couple days a week because it seems nobody wants to work. Central Pa is ground central for distribution warehouses, Amazon, Chewey, etc, all are begging for workers, pay scales generally start at $20+ and few takers. Beyond my understanding....

It's just eBay. They were run to the ground by Meg Whitman back when they had the monopoly and can get away with anything. The sellers there can be very good or very bad depends on who you run into. I just got a package stolen and the eBay auto decline my claim on it because delivery confirmation, and the seller ask me to jump through hoops taking photos and then blame it on ebay declining to replace or refund. Ebay dare to ask me for my satisfaction level and if I want to appeal I need to wait and send in police report, for a $6.50 item.

Good thing police report is all automated now and I don't need to waste time going to the station in person.

Back