Man Drove Off With Wrong Tesla Using Car's App.

I have been told stories of this happening in the old days before transponder keys and more complex ignition keys. It's actually one of those stories that seems plausible, if you have a lock cylinder with only 5 or so wafers there are only so many combinations it can be keyed to.

No harm done in the end but you have to wonder how this happened.

You can add a driver to the car via your Tesla account. You probalby know your phone is your key.
If I wanted to loan the Model 3 to someone, they would install the Tesla app (they also need a Tesla account). I could then tie them to the car via my app. Afterwards I would remove them. Basically tossing them the "keys".

This is the only plausable explanation I can think of. Anyone can download the app on their phone, but each car must be attached to each phone/app.

By the way, multiple owners (like me and wifey) is a bit klunky. Granting access has improved greatly, but the entire software ownership process is not Tesla's strong point, IMO. Kinda strange as they are so software centric.

You can add a driver to the car via your Tesla account. You probalby know your phone is your key.
If I wanted to loan the Model 3 to someone, they would install the Tesla app (they also need a Tesla account). I could then tie them to the car via my app. Afterwards I would remove them. Basically tossing them the "keys".

This is the only plausable explanation I can think of. Anyone can download the app on their phone, but each car must be attached to each phone/app.

By the way, multiple owners (like me and wifey) is a bit klunky. Granting access has improved greatly, but the entire software ownership process is not Tesla's strong point, IMO. Kinda strange as they are so software centric.

I have heard of that but it doesn’t sound like that was the case here.

I remember walking up to a white ford pickup in the parking lot and freaked out that the key wouldn't unlock the door. It took a second of so to figure it oiut and it was one of those laugh at yourself moments.

I remember walking up to a white ford pickup in the parking lot and freaked out that the key wouldn't unlock the door. It took a second of so to figure it oiut and it was one of those laugh at yourself moments.

I did that some months ago at the grocery store. I pressed the rear hatch button twice on a CX5 that I thought was mine. Nothing. Then I looked at the license plate.

Two silver CX5 in the same parking aisle separated by a few cars. Mine was on the other side of a large pickup that blocked it from view.

Let's just say there are a lotta white Model 3s around here. I call them the new Corolla, except Corollas come in more colors and options.

There was a pretty long thread on Reddit about this. The general consensus was that the owner must have had the app on a tablet in the car which wouldn't allow the doors to lock and would allow the car to be driven. It's just not possible without the app and even if the card is in the car it has to be placed directly in front of the cup holders to "start" the car.

There was a pretty long thread on Reddit about this. The general consensus was that the owner must have had the app on a tablet in the car which wouldn't allow the doors to lock and would allow the car to be driven. It's just not possible without the app and even if the card is in the car it has to be placed directly in front of the cup holders to "start" the car.
The driver had the app on his cell, as he had his own Tesla. The real owner had the driver's phone number, because he called him. So there are a few possibilities, and more to the story.

But anything Tesla is an attention getter and sells media. Clickbait baby! Rarely does the solution (truth) get reported, unless you dig.

The driver had the app on his cell, as he had his own Tesla. The real owner had the driver's phone number, because he called him. So there are a few possibilities, and more to the story.

But anything Tesla is an attention getter and sells media. Clickbait baby! Rarely does the solution (truth) get reported, unless you dig.

That still makes no sense for the key itself. The key isn't in the app. The app allows you to operate the car like a key fob, but the bluetooth key is listed as a separate device. You'll see a device listed as a letter and a bunch of numbers following, such as S043.....etc. That's the key.

That still makes no sense for the key itself. The key isn't in the app. The app allows you to operate the car like a key fob, but the bluetooth key is listed as a separate device. You'll see a device listed as a letter and a bunch of numbers following, such as S043.....etc. That's the key.
yeah...
somethings missing here...

Back