Malwarebytes 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I have the full blown "Premium" version of Malwarebytes - I got it a couple years ago off Newegg for $15 with a lifetime license.

They just recently updated it to version 3.0 and I really like how they have improved the user interface. It also now has real time web, exploit and ransomware protection. Those use to be stand along add-ons but looks like they are all bundled into one now.

Anyone else using the full version of Malwarebytes? What do you think?

Yes and it works well. It has stopped spyware just about every week as I spend a fair amount of time on the internet. I noticed it does sometimes conflict with Norton and my computer starts up a little lower but otherwise it has saved me several times from spammed email links and fake posts.

I'm cheap, just the free on-demand scanner along with ADWcleaner. I haven't been hit with a PUP/malware for a number of years but I check periodically as a security measure. For anti-virus and firewall I just use what's built in to Windows along with my router.

I really like Malwarebytes. The product works well and it really compliments whatever antivirus software you use. When I handled desktop support, this was a tool we always used if a user had suspcious activity going on at their workstation. The current edition is even better. (Got my original free, bundled with a motherboard I bought from Newegg.

Last edited:
Used it for years, but v3.x does not play very well with Office 2016. I had to disable the exploit protection (seems to be a known issue on the MB forums) for Word 2016 to work without freezing up.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Where can I find the best deal on malware bytes Premium?

The best deal was a few years ago with a lifetime subscription. That will never happen with a more mature company.

I have the lifetime.

Have it on my Nexus phone also.

I have the MBAM Lifetime Premium License and was very glad to see it also applies to the new 3.x version. It switched over from 2.x a couple of weeks ago and it works very well. I like the new GUI.

It is a good idea to go into the MBAM settings and scroll down to the Windows Action Center, then enable the "Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center" function. Doing this will keep Windows from seeing MBAM as your primary AV and can help avoid conflicts with Windows Defender or other AV programs. Reboot after changing the setting.

After looking into the history of Malwarebytes 3.0, it looks like the beta version was out sometime late last year. Mine just updated automatically from 2.x to 3.0.6 just a few days ago.

Did this official "non-beta" version just hit the streets? I'm wondering why mine only updated to version 3 just a few days ago.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
After looking into the history of Malwarebytes 3.0, it looks like the beta version was out sometime late last year. Mine just updated automatically from 2.x to 3.0.6 just a few days ago.

Did this official "non-beta" version just hit the streets? I'm wondering why mine only updated to version 3 just a few days ago.

Mine just hit today. I suspect it's kind of like iOS updates, they spread them out so there isn't such a heavy load on the servers. Probably if you knew it was available and did a manual update earlier, it would have done it.

I recently bought a three pack for under $50.
I have not had any issues with Office 365 and the anti-exploit. I do know that the anti-exploit portion (now included in 3.0) catches some ransomware that the standard version does not. we did extensive testing on this a couple of years ago. although certainly things could change.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I have not had any issues with Office 365 and the anti-exploit.
Highlight a word in any Word document and right click it. Choose "Smart Lookup" and see if Word freezes. It may be a combination of the OS (I am running Windows 10 Creators Update) and Office 2016, but well posted about in the MBAM forums.

No. It's been out for quite a while. At least since Dec. 2016.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zeus33

No. It's been out for quite a while. At least since Dec. 2016.

Strange that it took over 4 months to hit my computer for an update ... must have been the phase in process as mentioned by Bronco1.

Mine updated just a couple of weeks ago. I then kept getting a popup telling me one of the modules was disabled or did not start (I forget the exact description). It was the new ransomware detection. Apparently this has occurred on some users setups. The solution was to enable the 'early start' option.

I've been very much pleased with MB and am tickled that I got the lifetime license.

I really liked Malwarebytes back in 2008-ish. Their software is still very respectable but a handful of people think their AV has been sliding. I generally agree to that myself I would still use their solution but I've passed up on it for the past few years instead I've been using zemana anti keylogger. Along with Bitdefender and Voodooshield for the sandboxing.

I'm more of an exotic user tho. I try to keep updated in AV solutions and over the past few years people would test new malware on virus total. Malwarebytes used to do very well at detecting new malware quickly and to some degree it's changed.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I really liked Malwarebytes back in 2008-ish. Their software is still very respectable but a handful of people think their AV has been sliding. I generally agree to that myself I would still use their solution but I've passed up on it for the past few years instead I've been using zemana anti keylogger. Along with Bitdefender and Voodooshield for the sandboxing.

I'm more of an exotic user tho. I try to keep updated in AV solutions and over the past few years people would test new malware on virus total. Malwarebytes used to do very well at detecting new malware quickly and to some degree it's changed.

Malwarebytes never used to be an antivirus. I see they added real-time protection now.
I use Avira and Superantispyware, after exhibiting various conflicts with the free Malwarebytes on my Dell / Windows 10. Seemed to get even worse after the Anniversary Update.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back