Making the switch from Mobil 1 to Super Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I buy Supertech in the 12qt boxes. Works out to be about 40 cents cheaper a quart.

I just keep a clean 5qt jug and refill that with the box.

Why is it, when a car gets old, many owners feel the top brand motor oils are no longer necessary? As if to send their car to an early grave or a better oil has no affect on a worn engine. Seems to be an emotional decision.

Why is it, when a car gets old, many owners feel the top brand motor oils are no longer necessary? As if to send their car to an early grave or a better oil has no affect on a worn engine. Seems to be an emotional decision.
I agree, when that's the case, but I don't think it applies to me here. The fact that my cars are old is not a factor. It's that I can't justify paying more than three times as much for a product that would not, in practical terms, provide me with any better engine protection, given my relatively short OCIs.

In my case, I'm planning to go from a big-name synthetic to a house-brand synthetic. It's not like I'm moving to a non-starburst conventional.

Around upstate NY NAPA synthetic goes on sale often. $19 for 5 qts.

$31.59 + tax for a 5 l jug - about the same as the Mobil 1 sale price.
In Virginia, NAPA full synthetic is $19.98 right now. Been stocking up on it and Super Tech recently based on spot shortages around our area. Local NAPA guy has had some weights & brands that he cannot currently get (in addition to some filters) and has been notified that his oil price from NAPA is going to go up about 8% very soon.

I put on 340,000 miles on an ‘88 Honda Accord on store brand oil almost exclusively. The only time it saw a brand name oil was when it was really cheap. But mostly, this engine never saw an oil that was anything special

When you say Mobil 1 on sale, do you mean rebates? Parts stores have sales all the time but in my opinion they are not much of a discount. However, the annual Mobil 1 rebates are a *huge* discount, are good for up to 2 jugs per household, and the net price is less than any Supertech oil... by what I have seen anyway. I know 2 jugs per year won't help with the multiple vehicles you are servicing, just wanted to be sure I we are comparing apples to apples :D

When you say Mobil 1 on sale, do you mean rebates? Parts stores have sales all the time but in my opinion they are not much of a discount. However, the annual Mobil 1 rebates are a *huge* discount, are good for up to 2 jugs per household, and the net price is less than any Supertech oil... by what I have seen anyway. I know 2 jugs per year won't help with the multiple vehicles you are servicing, just wanted to be sure I we are comparing apples to apples :D
I haven't seen M1 rebates advertised here. The sales are good (typically 40% off) but they seem to be less frequent than they used to be, and when there is one there's not much in stock. ☹️

I dunno. I'm sticking with M1. It isn't that expensive and not hard to find even at Wallyworld when you plan ahead. And it has served every engine I've owned exceptionally well.

I say dance with who brung ya. If Mobil 1 got you to high mileage, why bail on it? It's done exactly what you wanted it to do and I'd bet that engine looks mighty clean under the valve covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back