Making the switch from Mobil 1 to Super Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
I service three older vehicles - a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3 - 211K km), a 2009 Mazda 5 (2.3 - 195K km), and a 2009 Kia Sedona (3.8 - 161K km). These are all old enough that I think that a modern SP-rated synthetic will be fine. I change oil on all three vehicles Spring and Fall, and typically do not exceed 8000 km (5000 miles) per oil change.

Per the title, and after mulling it over for a few months, I've decided to switch from Mobil 1 to Walmart Super Tech.

In the past it was relatively easy to find M1 on sale, typically for $30 - $35 for between 4.73 and 5.73 litres. (M1 is often sold here in a 4.73 l jug with a 1 l bottle bound to it. Why the odd volume? 4.73 l = 5.0 US quarts.)

Recent M1 non-sale prices have varied with weight and type (e.g. high mileage, extended drain, etc.), but typically run from $50 - $58 for a 4.73 l jug.

The sales are rarer now, and the quantities seem to be limited. Last time I was only able to find one jug of M1 0W-30.

The ST seems to be well-regarded here on BITOG, and it runs not much over half the sale price of the M1. I picked up ST in 5 l jugs for between $17 and $18. Yes, these prices are all in C$, but that's what I get paid in. Sales taxes of 12% are above and beyond the quoted prices.

If the M1 sales really are a thing of the past, then this will save me about $300 per year (7 jugs x savings of c. $40/jug, plus 12% tax).

Is anyone else finding that M1 is harder to find on sale? Has anyone else switched from M1 or PP or a boutique oil to ST? If so, are you pleased with the results?

Don't know much about the Hyunkia engine, but the other two would run fine forever on a diet of conventional, any synthetic is more than enough to keep them running until the rest of the car completely rusts apart.

I don't find M1 difficult to find in my area and there are so many types to choose from that it can be confusing to a non BITOGer.
You won't be disappointed with ST as this has become one of my go-to oils and it does a fine job.

I made the very same Mobil 1 to Super Tech in my 2015 F150. Let us know how it goes for you.

8k km (5k mi) OCIs are nothing to just about any lube. ST syn will do the same job with the same results for 1/2 the money. If you doubt this, why not prove it to yourself? Run some UOAs with each and you'll likely find out that they both will return results well within the "normal" wear expectations. Many folks here bave done so, and found out the very same thing. Giving a nod to your area and cold starts, the syns make for a bit of a comfort factor and can make sense for the fall change. In the spring change, you can save even a bit more and use conventional ST.

I actually made the switch to M1 as it was a $1 / quart on clearance.
That said, many of my previous vehicles lived off of ST oils for years, most of which was conventional.

Don't know much about the Hyunkia engine, but the other two would run fine forever on a diet of conventional, any synthetic is more than enough to keep them running until the rest of the car completely rusts apart.
The Dodge is likely to rust out first, followed by the Mazda. Agreed, both of these vans have simple engines with a proven track record.

The Kia shows no rust yet, but I do worry about the long and complex timing chain on the DOHC V6. Definitely synthetic and short OCIs.

8k km (5k mi) OCIs are nothing to just about any lube. ST syn will do the same job with the same results for 1/2 the money. If you doubt this, why not prove it to yourself? Run some UOAs with each and you'll likely find out that they both will return results well within the "normal" wear expectations. Many folks here bave done so, and found out the very same thing. Giving a nod to your area and cold starts, the syns make for a bit of a comfort factor and can make sense for the fall change. In the spring change, you can save even a bit more and use conventional ST.
Could do that, but the difference between ST syn and conventional is only about $4/jug. It's easier to stock synthetic only.

I actually made the switch to M1 as it was a $1 / quart on clearance.
That said, many of my previous vehicles lived off of ST oils for years, most of which was conventional.
Great price! I've gotten some good deals on M1 over the years, but lately haven't seen many.

Costco Kirkland Brand is essentially the same thing but its cheaper!
Here it was, until they raised the price to $39,99 for 2 jugs. Now Supertech is cheaper at $17 per jug (5L). You have to wait for the Costco sales.

Usually when M1 isn't in stock I can either get Castrol or Pennzoil...they seem to be in a rotating sale here at Walmart. I did notice quantities available seemed lower than pre-pandemic though. Grades like 5W40 or 0W40 seem to survive a little longer on shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back