Make your own test leads

Been slow at the shop.....It's that way at most auto repair garages around here, But I try to make the most of it by cleaning up, maintaining equipment, & fixing/buying/making tools.

I've needed new leads for my Multimeters/Scope/PowerProbe for awhile now.....About destroyed every Alligator Clip adapter I own. Prefer Fluke 4mm Banana test leads but they're pretty high $.
Been getting by with some cheap PVC/Vinyl jacketed leads.....I HATE them with a passion. They get hard & retain the coiled shape they're stored in, On top of them always being too short for the task
smirk2.gif

Did a Google search & wasn't impressed with the selection, But did run across this Youtube video & bought the same stuff he used. Spent around $50 after applying my Amazon store card rewards.....Around $70 full price.
Stackable Bananas
Alligators
90 Degree Bananas
14 ga Silicone Jacketed Wire

I recommend using the "Good Stuff" for solder, 60tin/40lead rosin core! Wear gloves & don't chew on it
lol.gif

Love the Silicone Jacketed wire & Stackable Bananas! Made 2 sets of Multimeter Leads with 90° ends & 2 leads with Stackables on both ends as Jumpers/Extensions. Came out to 6' per lead. Gonna order more wire to make some more!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good looking leads! You did a very nice job of fabricating them. Now I guess I should make a couple of sets for use in electronic repairs and for auto repairs!

I would opt for a respected name like Pomona, Fluke, Probemaster, etc

https://smile.amazon.com/Probe-Master-Softie-Standard-Banana/dp/B0000WUK3K/ref=sr_1_4

The Pomona "grabber" types are essential with today"s electronics. Much better than alligators in tight quarters.

I recently replaced a Honda blend door actuator. The mini grabber were the only thing that would work to test that.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pomona-6343-Basic-Electronic-Test/dp/B000JFL8PC/ref=sr_1_2

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005T62WII/ref=psdc_5011675011_t1_B000JFL8PC

Last edited:
I like Fluke leads a lot, But in my business....They get damaged eventually. I have T-pins & Needle/pin probes with 4mm banana jacks for tight backprobing.

The big alligators are handy on battery posts & larger bolts for a ground source. I dislike those screw-on mini alligators & prefer the Thexton 490's.....Even solder some wire to them if needed.
Good idea.....I'll solder a length of the silicone jacketed lead to one of the Thexton 490's & put a banana jack on the other end. I'll update after buying some more wire!

We all do things differently, I deal with direct current.......What's the worst that could happen? Grabber type/pierce probes are obviously not essential as I don't use or need them

Don't worry about chewing the solder, but don't breath the fumes while soldering. That's where the lead issue comes into play. Fumes extraction or airflow is important with that much lead.

Great looking stuff. Back when I was doing shipping+ receiving for a small phone /data outfit. Patch cables with all sorts of specs were hand made and big buxl. I doubt if any of the stuff is US made these days.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Nice job on the cables. Are those long ratcheting box wrenches Mountain RM6?

There the Platinum/ATD branded ones......Same as the Mountain RM6. The 19mm came apart first time I used it because the circlip wasn't seated during assembly. I fixed that & they have been great since. Soak the heads in some ATF & torque on them a few times to free up the back-drag.

Thanks, I need a set of those badly. I did get the 3/8 drive etorx flex sockets from Snap on you mentioned, they make life easier and what I like most is they don't get sloppy.

@clinebarger , are you pleased with the heavy gauge? 14 seems overkill for a digital VM, however I’ve never owned pro-grade stuff, Klein is probably the priciest ive bought. I may do the same as you, but was thinking 16-18 possibly easier to drape over the work surface?

The 14 gauge leads are VERY flexible, I've made several variations of leads since posting this using the same materials without issue.
Love my 14ga silicone leads. I got some that are 48” long and they’re great for connecting meters over long distances, and also as power leads since we know they can carry decent current…

Back