Make your car last 200,000 miles -CR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had terrific performance and relability with Ford. I have had several Ford engines in the past go well beyond the 200,000 mark using Castrol GTX. I know a guy who has I believe a 95 Ford F-150 inline 6 with 600,000 miles on it. He uses Dino...

My wife's first car (new 96 Civic) made it till 190k when we sold it as she wanted something new for our first baby. (2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5 speed manual and 250HP
smile.gif
)

The Civic's maintenance was only changing the oil every 5k miles. The exception was her dad(owned used car dealership) did its only maintenance at 100k miles including the timing belt, wires, plugs, belts, brakes and all fluids.

I met her when she had 120k miles and after that she incurred an exhaust failure, Check Engine light for two years that turned to catalytic converter/two O2 sensors that Honda covered under an odd 8yr/150k warranty, and clutch master cylinder failure($200). I used the then $14 Walmart SuperTech oil changes on this car.

I think we would have made it 200k miles easy with her bare minimum maintenance plan but she wanted a newer and safer car after 9 faithful years.

Quote:

maintenance at 100k miles including the timing belt, wires, plugs, belts, brakes and all fluids.

I met her when she had 120k miles and after that she incurred an exhaust failure, Check Engine light for two years that turned to catalytic converter/two O2 sensors that Honda covered under an odd 8yr/150k warranty, and clutch master cylinder failure($200). I used the then $14 Walmart SuperTech oil changes on this car.

This is what cracks me up about ALL car owners, no matter what make, model, year, where its built, whatever...

"I didn't have any trouble with it except this, and that, and those things, and that doo-hicky, and a complete engine failure, two fires and one flat tire... But otherwise it was completely trouble free!"

We all do it. For some reason, this time, it just struck me as funny.
cheers.gif

Quote:

I would say a good bet is *any* domestic full size pickup truck with a V8 or a diesel. They hit 200,000 miles all the time without trying, and with minimal repairs to get there.

Without a doubt .

As a group , they put this group on the trailer .
cheers.gif

Its funny , nobodies mentioned a clear and demonstrated winner with large numbers to prove it in the generic sedan class .

That of course , would be the Crown Vic , many of whom go past 2x+ this number in really severe service . I often wonder how many people get in a Crown Vic cab somewhere and don't realize they're in a 200,000 mile + former City Police Car or an old State Trooper car that was put into Livery service after pulling down huge amounts of tough service in Law Enforcement first , in many cases 100k + worth before starting Livery Service . No , its not a perfect record but a large number of them are pretty darn close and besides , none of the chosen ones on this list are even close to perfect either . I 'll put it this way to assure accuracy ; I'll take the best 80% of the C.V. over the last 8 years and you can have the best 80% of anything on this list - wanna bet who wins ? I'll give big points as well on at least 1/2 this list .

I see the glaring omissions of which we are covering but a few here and the erroneous 'substitutions' that result as nothing more than a key player in what I call the informal misinformation keiretsu of MR. Ts swinging into action to yet again , cover up , confuse , or maybe just help boost sales of something that needs help . Its esp. worth checking that last one out .
This may also related to unfavorable older information already published , or information that just came out and isn't widely known .
You can look around when they do this stuff and usually find something new and negative . Works like clockwork over there and at others like 'furbes' . This year , its usually about helping specific platform sales losses first , and quality 'measurement' losses second .
These sales losses are more about fuel prices than anything else , but they can't do anything about that . Oh , and the new GM crossover's sales success .

Just from memory of the stuff they've published this year , I'd guess 'somebody' doesn't like how GM and Ford are clocking the snot out of their mainstream division and its baby brother in most of the other quality and durability measurements out there - particularly concerning specific 2004 -2007 production and platform comparisions - the ones 'they' always used to win .

BTW , catch how they stopped at 200k ? Reminds me of when JD Powers et al reformulated their Vehicle Dependability Survey from 5 years to three years , thereby skipping forever two critical years of 'interesting' longer term dependability measurement .
Think Headgaskets and Sludge ( both cases ) - not just the Class Action engines - but also the 'nobody wants to acknowledge' ( other engines ) "campaign" stuff .
They also seem completely clueless as to who has more than fallen off the perch in virtually every other informational source out there - in otherwords , what has been the 5 year 'internal trend' and just how do the former darlings stack up against their own former records ?

The most revealing action of all this on their part was the recent fullsize pickup truck comparision test - I honestly don't think it would have been possible to rig it in advance any more than they did - heck , even fair minded '07 Tundra owners can see and acknowledge this .

It took real forethought to do that - and figure the nobodies - buying - it - anyway justification they're currently trying to pedal - unsuccessfully . I would venture a guess that they don't visit any of the Toyota specific forums either .

They also never seem to count or even acknowledge the reasons why 'campaigns' are created or Class Action Lawsuits .

Gee , maybe somebody could gift them a years subscription to Toyotas consumer/service information system - clearly they are unaware it exists , much less any of the content .
I wonder what this means and why that is .

Well , you can't fool everbody all the time ; there are real good repair cost 'likelhoods' that cause 1990 - 1992 LS400s to go for the same or almost the same money as 1992 Accords EXs at 150k/150k+ miles in comparable condition for both .

'Fertillizer' is a (too) polite description of this article and its contents .

The "Emperor has no clothes" also comes to mind here - in more ways than one .

twocents.gif

Last edited:
My Dad's '95 Chevy 1500 P/U had the engine replaced under warranty and the tranny $$ after warranty - rarely towed anything with it and wasn't hard on it - but other than those little things its been a great truck!
smirk.gif

No American cars in Consumer reports, now way.
smirk.gif
Here's how you can make it to 200,000.

1. Do proper maintenance.
2. Fix the car when it breaks down or has a problem.
3. Don't get in any bad accidents.

Just about any car should be able to do it.

Quote:

200,000 is easy to obtain on most automotive platforms nowadays. it's the salt they put on the roads that kills a car/truck here in michigan winter weather.

I agree. Any modern vehicle will go 200Kmi+ with minimal maintenance if it's driven tons of miles in a short time frame. It's years in daily driver service that matters in regions that have snowy winters. IMO, ~10yrs is the magic number in the N.East. Prime example; My in-laws have a 1998 Nissan Maxima with under 70Kmi. Good maintenance schedule, still looks good, but they've tossed a ton of money into lately. In the last month, over $2K alone for a new Y-pipe, O2 sensors and some basic A/C system work. They've 'invested' $3-4K into it in the last year. My FIL does his own brake work, etc, but takes it to the Nissan dealer for everything including 3750mi OCI's. He thinks they will give him an awesome trade in allowance some day because of this.
smirk.gif

Joel

200k miles. I can't make it.

87 toyota corolla, 187k car parked in front of my house, rearended by hit and run driver
92 mitsubishi mirage, 135k rearended at yield sign
96 Pontiac Sunfire, at 146k, hit by semi truck

I'm car accident proned! When I went to the grand canyon, in the boonies, I almost hit two deer in my 06 vibe! It was dark of course!

I forgot my first vehicle, 94 ford ranger, rearended at a stop light by a 16 yr old girl driving a toyota tercel. now, none of these accidents didn't finish off these rides though. I just drove them wrecked.

Quote:

Quote:

I would say a good bet is *any* domestic full size pickup truck with a V8 or a diesel. They hit 200,000 miles all the time without trying, and with minimal repairs to get there.

Without a doubt .

As a group , they put this group on the trailer .
cheers.gif

Its funny , nobodies mentioned a clear and demonstrated winner with large numbers to prove it in the generic sedan class .

That of course , would be the Crown Vic , many of whom go past 2x+ this number in really severe service . I often wonder how many people get in a Crown Vic cab somewhere and don't realize they're in a 200,000 mile + former City Police Car or an old State Trooper car that was put into Livery service after pulling down huge amounts of tough service in Law Enforcement first , in many cases 100k + worth before starting Livery Service . No , its not a perfect record but a large number of them are pretty darn close and besides , none of the chosen ones on this list are even close to perfect either . I 'll put it this way to assure accuracy ; I'll take the best 80% of the C.V. over the last 8 years and you can have the best 80% of anything on this list - wanna bet who wins ? I'll give big points as well on at least 1/2 this list .

I see the glaring omissions of which we are covering but a few here and the erroneous 'substitutions' that result as nothing more than a key player in what I call the informal misinformation keiretsu of MR. Ts swinging into action to yet again , cover up , confuse , or maybe just help boost sales of something that needs help . Its esp. worth checking that last one out .
This may also related to unfavorable older information already published , or information that just came out and isn't widely known .
You can look around when they do this stuff and usually find something new and negative . Works like clockwork over there and at others like 'furbes' . This year , its usually about helping specific platform sales losses first , and quality 'measurement' losses second .
These sales losses are more about fuel prices than anything else , but they can't do anything about that . Oh , and the new GM crossover's sales success .

Just from memory of the stuff they've published this year , I'd guess 'somebody' doesn't like how GM and Ford are clocking the snot out of their mainstream division and its baby brother in most of the other quality and durability measurements out there - particularly concerning specific 2004 -2007 production and platform comparisions - the ones 'they' always used to win .

BTW , catch how they stopped at 200k ? Reminds me of when JD Powers et al reformulated their Vehicle Dependability Survey from 5 years to three years , thereby skipping forever two critical years of 'interesting' longer term dependability measurement .
Think Headgaskets and Sludge ( both cases ) - not just the Class Action engines - but also the 'nobody wants to acknowledge' ( other engines ) "campaign" stuff .
They also seem completely clueless as to who has more than fallen off the perch in virtually every other informational source out there - in otherwords , what has been the 5 year 'internal trend' and just how do the former darlings stack up against their own former records ?

The most revealing action of all this on their part was the recent fullsize pickup truck comparision test - I honestly don't think it would have been possible to rig it in advance any more than they did - heck , even fair minded '07 Tundra owners can see and acknowledge this .

It took real forethought to do that - and figure the nobodies - buying - it - anyway justification they're currently trying to pedal - unsuccessfully . I would venture a guess that they don't visit any of the Toyota specific forums either .

They also never seem to count or even acknowledge the reasons why 'campaigns' are created or Class Action Lawsuits .

Gee , maybe somebody could gift them a years subscription to Toyotas consumer/service information system - clearly they are unaware it exists , much less any of the content .
I wonder what this means and why that is .

Well , you can't fool everbody all the time ; there are real good repair cost 'likelhoods' that cause 1990 - 1992 LS400s to go for the same or almost the same money as 1992 Accords EXs at 150k/150k+ miles in comparable condition for both .

'Fertillizer' is a (too) polite description of this article and its contents .

The "Emperor has no clothes" also comes to mind here - in more ways than one .

twocents.gif

as usual quite a bit more than
twocents.gif
and about as valuable.
yawn.gif
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

Never had to replace an engine or transmission on any Toyota the extended family has ever owned!!! I have had to replace everything other then the rotateing assembly on the wifes 1997 Buick and most of that was done at or around 109,000 miles. Then you have the transmission that I recently replaced on her Buick as well. It was not right at 109,000 miles but I managed to nurse it to 154,000 prior to replaceing it with a low mile used unit. To make it even worse their is a TSB stateing that GM knew that they miss machined the TCC apply piston and they would only replace the transmission under warranty. So if the problem was not noticed or you bought the car used out of warranty you were SOL!Then you have the leaking oil pan that also has a TSB. Aparently GM can not stamp an oil pan without wrinkled flange area and their workers must be too stupid to notice the waves in the pan!Then you also have the wrong dipstick and tube placed on the car and their is a TSB for that as well but again if you are out of warranty it does you no good!The starter had to be replaced at 109,000 miles as well as most of the sensors under the hood. I had to replace the upper intake manifold and water pump, part of the engine harness, injector seals, and a bunch of other stuff!!! The bolts that hold the K-member or engine cradle to the rest of the body were so badly corroded that I had to replace them and the special washers since most of them had rusted away to nothing in cases they had erroded completly away. That is not my idea of durability.

I had a 1985 Ford Tempo that I had to rebuild the engine on at 50,000 miles and the transmission was shot by 100,000 miles. Ever other week I had an electrical fire under the hood or it interior. I had the driver seat break on it as well. The shifter went out on it at 75,000 miles. Lucky for me I knew I could shift into gear from under the hood once I started the engine. It had problems with galvinization of cables as well from lack of good grounds. So the throttle cable would stick due to build up.

When I worked for GM I worked with a guy that had 34 pages of warranty work done to his truck while under warranty. In each case it was a legimate failure from the OEM. We used to tease him and tell him his truck still brand new since just about everything on it had been replaced under waranty. When I say 34 pages I am reffering to pages in GM system that allow you to see all the work done under warranty. So each page would have 30 or more items on it with a single line of text description. If you wanted to see the exact report you cliked the hyper text and it would open to the actual warranty report for that incidence. We are not talking about 34 indivudal pages with a one or two sentence statement about what was done under warranty that they give the customer.To add insult to injury he complained about engine noise 6-7 times under warranty. Then after it was out of warranty we found out that it was as I suspected his main bearings. Then we found out that GM had a TSB out for this becuase they knew that they built a few 100,000 trucks with the wrong size main bearings! GM would not fix it since it was out of warranty even though the complaint was their while still under warranty! I could go on and on.

Domestics engine and transmission might and I mean might sometimes go past 200,000 with little maintence but that has not been my experince! Even when the engine and transmission survive everything else bolted to it fails!If domestic cars were routinely going 200,000 miles with next to no need for replacement parts AutoZOne would go out of business. Trust me when ever I need a part for a Toyota even one that is 12 years old or older it almost always has to be order!They always have GM part's in stock!!

In fairness i have to admit I do have a friend that just sold a 1995 Buick Roadmaster with 255,000 miles. The engine had to have a rear main seal, about 6 or 7 starters three of wich were under warranty from GM dealership.Then for the last 2-3 years he has had nothing but electrical problem after electrical problem.When the dealership could not figure it out he would come to me.He is getting married soon and could not have an unreliable vechile. It had often left him stranded but luckily he was usualy either at work or at home when it failed to start.

Most cars nowadays should go 200k if properly maintained. As far as one brand being better than another, I don't know. While most people have had good luck with imports, I guess my brother and my brother in law bought the wrong ones. Brother in law had a 94 4Runner which he always took in to be serviced whenever the the owners manual said it needed to be. Despite his good care of the truck, the head gaskets went out before it reached 100k. They were replaced but something else happened to the engine after that, I don't remember what, but it ended up with him selling the truck not running for cheap. My brother has a T100 of around the same year I think, it has about 120k. He takes care of his truck but he had to replace the engine last year because it burned valves and it was cheaper to stick a used engine in there rather than to get the heads replaced/redone. He says it ran great till the day it lost power. Brother still swears by Toyotas though, and his next truck is a Tundra.

As far as auto parts stores selling more parts for domestics, look here http://www.partsamerica.com/ReliabilityRatings.aspx I don't know, it looks kind of hard to tell what kinds of cars are going to need more of what.

I checked the 94 4 Runner and it looks like they sell lots of engine and brake parts for it.

I've had mostly domestics, a few imports here and there and I haven't, in my experience, had more trouble with one over the other. Maybe I have good luck.
dunno.gif

I have seen "reliable" Hondas and Toyotas die well before 150K. Have known 2 Toyota Corollas to die before 100K, and 2 Civics die just before and just after 100K. In all fairness, the first Civic was a 1976 model (died in 1979 with all highway miles @ 70 something K). Not to mention it biodegraded in the Northeast salted roads too. FWIW I have never seen this happen with a domestic.

I have a 94 Saturn with 98,000 miles. It's still going strong. I do keep up on the maintence and don't think of replacing the "old gal" anytime soon.

I wish I could see the numbers of cars sold over various years vs cars still registered, that would be telling. I bet more expensive car's appeal is far offfset by complexity and expense to repair.
ie: a luxo oddball Buick or Lincon or whatever vs a Corolla.
The hi-engineered ones go kaput while cheaper remains and retains. It's importnt to stike a balance between niceness and basic reliability. I'm back on Hondas for now. Wife's CRV is clocking 120k w/o a glitch.

Quote:

Trust me when ever I need a part for a Toyota even one that is 12 years old or older it almost always has to be order!They always have GM part's in stock!!

You live in Michigan, don't you?

I read somewhere that Autozone stocks parts based on the types of vehicles registered in the area where the store is. If it's lots of GMs, well, that's what they stock. If it's lots of Toyotas, then that's what they stock. Around here I suspect Autozone is well-stocked with Toyota parts. I would not expect an Autozone in Michigan to be well-stocked with Toyota parts because just about nobody in that state has one.

A friend of mine needed a new Ford EGR pressure sensor for a 1995 Ford Contour...the part was special-order at Autozone. Actually it's not even a Contour specific part, it's a standard Ford DPFE sensor.

BTW, that Contour had about 175K on it at the time, last I checked it has 190K on it.

Gotta love when some believe that 200k is a 'goal'.

Make a car last long by throwing out the owners manual.

Adapt a reasonable maintenance interval for ALL wear items and 200k is nothing.

My Civic has 148,507 miles and doing very well. It was repainted and I applied rust-proofing oil every two years. Our cold climate and road salt make it difficult to keep a car very long. I could sell it for about 1500$CDN. A car from Ford or GM of the same size and year, can be find for 3 time less money. American cars loose so much value, people don't repair them and scrap them much sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back