make GL4 by mixing GL5 with motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
turtlevette,

I've mixed M1 5W50 and a GL5 75W90 semi synth when I was responding to a similar, but backwards version of the concept

here

When I heated the two, there was fizzing, and what looked like "soap" formed, floated around a bit and dissolved again.

widman explained that the acid type of additives (in gear oil), and the alkaline type (in motor oil) can not play together in a friendly manner.

If I were going to cut a gear oil, I'd use a relatively additive free hydraulic...if...

If you can not find GL4 directly....use GL4/5 or GL4+ or GL5 with MT1 spec.

Chemistry in GL5 in GL4 gearbox will eat "non ferrous" metals in your gearbox!!

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
If you can not find GL4 directly....use GL4/5 or GL4+ or GL5 with MT1 spec.

Chemistry in GL5 in GL4 gearbox will eat "non ferrous" metals in your gearbox!!

I have been told this as well by engineers at Pennzoil and Warren that over time additives in GL5 will damage bronze parts in a gearboxes. I have used Stalube GL4 80w-90 from MAPA in my old manual transmission.

Motor oil used as gear oil sheers too much. I found that out with my Civic transmission using Mobil 1 in the correct viscosity specified in the manual. I now use Red Line MTL.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Motor oil used as gear oil sheers too much. I found that out with my Civic transmission using Mobil 1 in the correct viscosity specified in the manual. I now use Red Line MTL.
SAAB uased 10w 30 in their five speeds from about 1982 to the last year of the car, 1993. Mobil One made for nice shifting.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
turtlevette,

I've mixed M1 5W50 and a GL5 75W90 semi synth when I was responding to a similar, but backwards version of the concept

here

When I heated the two, there was fizzing, and what looked like "soap" formed, floated around a bit and dissolved again.

widman explained that the acid type of additives (in gear oil), and the alkaline type (in motor oil) can not play together in a friendly manner.

If I were going to cut a gear oil, I'd use a relatively additive free hydraulic...if...

Thank you. I wasn't thinking about that. Saved me from messing things up.

I use Stalube from NAPA in the old VW transaxles. Redline MT-90 would be the easiest to get synthetic. MTL is what I used in the BMW Getrag manual transmission in place of ATF.

Pennzoil 56076 is a GL-4 synthetic, if your local distributor happens to stock it.

Another alternative is Chevron Delo Gear ESI, if you can find it. From the PDS: "Tests have proven that Delo Gear ESI provide a wear protection film 3 to 5 times thicker than the conventional sulfur-phosphorus antiwear film. The inorganic borate film is composed of compounds thatdo not react with metal."

Quote:
Just an additional comment:

We should emphasize again that the GL-4 rating for gear lubes is primarily a gear and bearing protection rating for systems that are not as heavily loaded as those found in hypoid differentials or Heavy Duty truck transmissions.

It should NOT be assumed than ANY gear lube with the GL-4 rating is suitable for Manual Transmissions.

Dedicated or application specific MTL's not only have the necessary Anti-Wear chemistry to attain a GL-4 rating, but also have the correct viscosity and friction modification for synchronized transmissions.

Bottom line is, there is more to a Dedicated or application specific MTL than just a GL-4 rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back