Motul Motylgear GL4/GL5 is it yellow metal safe?

The car is gl4 required, but the properties of gl5 seems appealing. Motul motylgear has both, but from what I’m reading it’s mainly in regards to pressure and speed, not so much safeness on certain metals. And if it’s yellow metal safe it typically has a certain label to let you know.

Am I reading to deep into this? I just want to think motul is safe in yellow metal since it has a gl4 rating despite also being gl5. But how can I confirm?

What kind of car is this for? :unsure:

The Motylgear and Motul Gear 300 oils are primarily meant for Subaru manual transmissions that are combined with a hypoid differential, so they need something for good shifting but can also handle the EP load on the hypoid gears.

If you just need a GL4 for a manual transmission, use Triax Syngery Gear MT. Available on Amazon or directly from Triax.

Motul has not both. It's mid GL5 additive. Motul says compatible with supposed GL4.

It's "safe" with good maintance (it uses inhibitors like thiadazoline as additive and it goes down with time), anyway yellow metal wear may be higher than GL3/GL4 from any material weight-loss test vs typical D-130 test.

If car spec is GL4 you should not use GL5 because "suppossing better properties". GL5 additive can cause premature damage in any gears design.

best to use motul website to find the right gear oil.

I have used Gear 300 in my manual g/box which requires GL4 or GL5.

Molygear appears to be what I call semi synthetic.

Mobil also have good range of gear oil. You will also find some gear oils are compatible with both GL standards.

I used traveler gl5 In a few transmissions calling for gl-4, the bottle says safe for manual transmission on it

The car is gl4 required, but the properties of gl5 seems appealing. Motul motylgear has both, but from what I’m reading it’s mainly in regards to pressure and speed, not so much safeness on certain metals. And if it’s yellow metal safe it typically has a certain label to let you know.

Am I reading to deep into this? I just want to think motul is safe in yellow metal since it has a gl4 rating despite also being gl5. But how can I confirm?

I understand GL-4 single rating will provide the best performance for manual transmissions. GL-4 also does not generally have sulphur which is corrosive to any transmission with bronze or brass components, The lubricating qualities for GL-4 actually will provide smoother shifting in a standard transmission.

I am using Red Line MT-90 GL-4 in my 1952 MG TD.

GL-5 is often specified for differentials, GL-5 should not be used in differentials that have yellow metal. I. e. Brass or zinc. Some people post that for example the MG TD differential has no zinc or brass.//// some say brass spacers are used.—another person said his MG TD differential failed after using GL-5 with sulphur additives. ——he sounded kinda sad.—- he also said he could not find the replacement parts!

You get to pick who is correct.

I found Royal Blue MAXGEAR 75W-75 rated at GL-5. They claim it is non corrosive to brass or zinc right on the one quart bottle.

Please do your own research.

By the way, GL-5 properties may sound appealing but remember it is designed for the high pressures gear engagement of differentials compared to transmissions.

Aptosjames

Back