Maintenance suggestions for an 03 duramax 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend just got an 03 2500hd duramax. Its about to hit 50k, and Im gonna help him do some maintenance. Any duramax owners?

Can I use M1 75w-90 in the front diff as well, where it calls for 80w-90? Should I stick with autotrak fluid in the xfer case?

How is the trans done, is there a plug or does pan come down. Can we just put in M1 atf synth in there after a pan drop?

Planning to do 10k oil changes with M1 turbodiesel truck, but I think it can go to 15k easily... any thoughts?

And any other tips you can give me. I was interested in finding out common problems for an 03 duramax, what to look for, etc? Just an ext. cab regular bed, not really gonna be towing.

Change the fuel filter every other oil change. If it's an Allison tranny change the external filter every other oil change and the internal one now.

Diesel oil gets a lot dirtier than gasoline. Change it on the schedule no matter what oil you put in it.

There is a changeover (or there used to be) from summer to winter diesel, different additives to keep diesel from gelling in the winter. Don't get stuck with the summer diesel in the winter.

Check the batteries once a month. Diesels take a lot of CCA's. Change the fuel filter and external tranny filter every 15k.

This is a good engine will outlast the truck easily if maintained. Same for the tranny.

thx for the tips. I own a TDI vw, so im pretty good with diesels. Im hoping to help him change trans/diff fluids next week, hopefully we can just use OTC mobil 1 stuff.

I have an 03 GMC with 113k on it.

Use Autotrak II in the xfer case.

Go for the 75w-90 Synthetic in the front & rear diff's.

Good luck!

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back