Maint/repair costs per mile

I have been driving this since the end of 01/2022 and only put on 5k Kms. $0.06 CDN/KM.
LF Legacy.jpg

Last edited:
'02 Taurus
About $400 but it could use some other stuff, and I've DIY'd everything.
4 years
50,000 miles
$100/year
8/10ths of a cent per mile.

Granted it could use another $400 in sprucing up, which would DOUBLE my cost to 1.6 cents/mile!

'02 Taurus
About $400 but it could use some other stuff, and I've DIY'd everything.
4 years
50,000 miles
$100/year
8/10ths of a cent per mile.

Granted it could use another $400 in sprucing up, which would DOUBLE my cost to 1.6 cents/mile!
I do not understand how this is possible - tires? battery? brakes? I get the oil changes.

Minus the lawyer and court fees. Look for a check for $83.42 at any time.
Not quite how this one works. If successful VW will extend the warranty out on that part and those that paid out of pocket withing that mileage/time will be reimbursed by VW.

Last edited:
I do not understand how this is possible - tires? battery? brakes? I get the oil changes.
I'm sorry.

I did this the way I see it and the way I figured you did it. I do not include maintenance items that would be purchased for any vehicle regardless of how reliable it is. Like tires, brakes, batteries, oil. That helps me compare the car to others in terms of reliability and only repairs that ideally should not have been needed.

1 set of tires $300
1 battery $85
Front brake pads $17
8 oil changes ~$280

+$400 repairs
=$1082

$270/yr
$ .02/mile

To your point let's say I was looking at a car with low profile tires that were more expensive (which I wouldn't) then I would need to include that in a comparison too. I'd also need to include ad valorum taxes, insurance and gas... (y)

I'm sorry.

I did this the way I see it and the way I figured you did it. I do not include maintenance items that would be purchased for any vehicle regardless of how reliable it is. Like tires, brakes, batteries, oil. That helps me compare the car to others in terms of reliability and only repairs that ideally should not have been needed.

1 set of tires $300
1 battery $85
Front brake pads $17
8 oil changes ~$280

+$400 repairs
=$1082

$270/yr
$ .02/mile

To your point let's say I was looking at a car with low profile tires that were more expensive (which I wouldn't) then I would need to include that in a comparison too. I'd also need to include ad valorum taxes, insurance and gas... (y)
All-in costs for maint/repairs. Maint = all that stuff...brakes/tires/batteries etc. I left out insurance/gas/etc. b/c those to me are variable costs that I'm not comparing in this thread. If I took out all that my costs would be really low too!

*****PLEASE....ALL OF YOUR MAINTENANCE/REPAIR COSTS*****

tires
wipers
air filters
oil changes
batteries

That is unreal to me. Tires?
Yes! I'm on my second set as it had pretty new tires on it. Tires, I changed the brakes front and back. Fluids, filters, bulbs, etc.
It even includes my $500 co-pay for a parking lot scrape that was my fault.
It's been pretty much a gas and go car.

So far, other than tires, (and the bodywork from the scrape during my on-call week) everything I've needed to do I was able to do myself.
I may not have all the wiper blades, but I'm pretty sure I've not used $1888 worth of wiper blades in the past 5 years.

So close enough to know what it costs to run this car.

I make money on my work mileage reimbursement.

I buy 5-7 year old used Japanese 4 cylinder cars and run them to about 250k miles and then sell them to some kid looking for a first car.

My Ford Focus has been very thrifty. I don't count gas other than making sure of my mpg. However, mechanical repairs I do keep track of. My Focus has had one PSM replaced, one PCV and hose replaced, one serpentine belt and tensioner replaced and just this month it's first brake job replacing everything. All parts were Ford except rear bearings being Timkin. All those parts cost $500 plus or minus $10. Installation by me. It is now on it's fourth set of tires when it hit 180,000 miles. Today the car is at 186,000. The 31 year old Mazda 626 has done just as good. Fortunately both stick shift. Oil changes are the biggest expense since I change every 5,000 miles at $17 a change. That is $629. One plug change at $20. Oh and batteries I have always managed to find a sale and I get about 7 years on each for three at $125. If tires included then $425 average for four sets. That is $3224 for everything over 18 1/2 years except gas which is too complicated to figure between 2002-2022 per gallon.

My 9 year old Patriot. Mostly diy maintenance (except tires, Krown, etc).* About $3,500 ./. 110,000 miles = 0.032 per mile.

Add 3 windshields (stones), 2 PDR fixes, and 9 Krown applications = About $6,000 ./. 110,000 = 0.055 per mile. Seems way low. If all work was done at a shop, costs would probably triple?

The federal mileage allowance is currently about 0.62 per mile. Fuel, insurance, depreciation..... what else is factored in?

* 2 tire sets, 1 Front/rear brakes, 3 plug changes, 18 oil changes, 9 cabin filters, 7 wiper sets, 2 tranny fluids, 1 battery, 3 air filters, 2 HVAC blend motors, 1 rear sway bar bushing/links, 1 belt/tensioner/idler pulleys . 2x/year detail.

Didn't include Weathertec type floor liners and speaker upgrade. Didn't include my time/labor value. Second tires only at 6k, lots of miles ahead. The next years costs should increase with strut/suspension work, alignments, and other old age wear parts. Something huge like tranny rebuild really changes the figures.

Last edited:
A little earlier this year I made a youtube vid comparing running costs of my previous 80 series Landcruiser and my current Land Rover Discovery. Although I reference $/km rather than miles

If I go the route of strict maintenance, (ie: no car washes, no snow tires and wheels, no accessories), then my recent numbers come to:

16 F150, 93,000 miles: $0.018 per mile (Oil Changes, Battery Replacement, 1/2 a set of tires (still running original tires on front), replacement fog lamp assemblies, one set of wipers, and air and cabin filters. I'll be doing the front tires after this summer, and the brakes still have about a 1/3 of the pads left)
21 Explorer, 18,000 miles (as of today): $0.000 per mile

All oil changes on the Explorer have been on Ford's dime, and there has been zero other service required.

Last edited:
If I go the route of strict maintenance, (ie: no car washes, no snow tires and wheels, no accessories), then my recent numbers come to:

16 F150, 93,000 miles: $0.018 per mile (Oil Changes, Battery Replacement, 1/2 a set of tires (still running original tires on front), replacement fog lamp assemblies, one set of wipers, and air and cabin filters. I'll be doing the front tires after this summer, and the brakes still have about a 1/3 of the pads left)
21 Explorer, 18,000 miles (as of today): $0.000 per mile

All oil changes on the Explorer have been on Ford's dime, and there has been zero other service required.
That is crazy to me! I'd say snow tires should be counted here....

I do wipers etc. every year and I am floored anyone can run tires for 93K...how?

Since I bought the Grand Cherokee from my grandpa last October, I've spent about $3,800 in maintenance and repairs. have only put about 8,700 miles on it too. So $0.43 per mile. Hoping that will go down as time goes on. But I had to get the suspension refreshed, new tires, and a new battery.

For the '96 Cherokee, ouch. That one is roughly around $5,500 for the almost 6 years/15k miles I've had it. $0.36 per mile. That doesn't include stereo stuff, just ordered $1,300 worth the other day :cool:

Last edited:
That is crazy to me! I'd say snow tires should be counted here....

I do wipers etc. every year and I am floored anyone can run tires for 93K...how?

OK, Snow tires in (and wheels, and TPMS sensors...):

16 F150 93,000 miles: $0.032 per mile
21 Explorer, 18,000 miles: $0.084 per mile (the only expense here is snow tires/wheels/TPMS sensors)

I use OEM wipers, and replace as needed. The truck has needed one replacement to date.

The story on the truck tires is this. I picked up a nail in one of the tires that was non-repairable at around 62,000 miles on the odometer / 53,000 miles on the tires. I replaced just the rear pair at that time (non-auto 4x4, so no issues with this). I also run snow tires, and the current set has about 20k on them. This winter season will likely be the last I use this set, and may burn them down next summer. So, the front tires have about 73k mile on them. I have a replacement pair ready to go on when I decide they are done - running at about 5/32 of tread depth today.

They are LT truck tires (Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (rolls right off the tongue)) in Load Range C. As opposed to the P series version of the tire in the same size, they have deeper tread, different tread compound to prevent chunking, and carry the snowflake symbol (but I still use actual snow tires). They were an optional upgrade from the factory, and have been really good in my usage. Couple a good tire with a lot of highway use, and you get a lot of mileage.

Last edited:
OK, Snow tires in (and wheels, and TPMS sensors...):

16 F150 93,000 miles: $0.032 per mile
21 Explorer, 18,000 miles: $0.084 per mile (the only expense here is snow tires/wheels/TPMS sensors)

I use OEM wipers, and replace as needed. The truck has needed one replacement to date.

The story on the truck tires is this. I picked up a nail in one of the tires that was non-repairable at around 62,000 miles on the odometer / 53,000 miles on the tires. I replaced just the rear pair at that time (non-auto 4x4, so no issues with this). I also run snow tires, and the current set has about 20k on them. This winter season will likely be the last I use this set, and may burn them down next summer. So, the front tires have about 73k mile on them. I have a replacement pair ready to go on when I decide they are done - running at about 5/32 of tread depth today.

They are LT truck tires (Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar (rolls right off the tongue)) in Load Range C. As opposed to the P series version of the tire in the same size, they have deeper tread, different tread compound to prevent chunking, and carry the snowflake symbol (but I still use actual snow tires). They were an optional upgrade from the factory, and have been really good in my usage. Couple a good tire with a lot of highway use, and you get a lot of mileage.
Makes sense on the tires - I've never had tires in my life that lasted more than 50K miles and I hate to push passenger tires...at 5 years they are getting dry rot/cracks anyway.

I don't push tires past 10 years on the date code on vehicles so long as they physically look acceptable. It can get hot here, but this is not Arizona by any stretch of the imagination.

Trailer tires go on for 6 years for me - then serve 3 as a spare before getting disposed of. Never an issue with that cycle here...

I don't push tires past 10 years on the date code on vehicles so long as they physically look acceptable. It can get hot here, but this is not Arizona by any stretch of the imagination.

Trailer tires go on for 6 years for me - then serve 3 as a spare before getting disposed of. Never an issue with that cycle here...
10 years holy cow! I just drive a lot I guess, 3 years is about it on most of my vehicles. I usually retire them at 4/32"...no need to push them.

My tires will age out not wear out. I drive about 300 miles a month. I probably won't go beyond 8 years on tires even though that's probably half tread life. Peace of mind factors in.

Back