Mail Delivery Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too much dead wood protected by a union. Best thing that could ever happen is to privatize mail service with management that knows service is all important.

Our regular mailman has been on the job for 15 years. We're last on his route and we get our mail at about 3PM. The substitute mail man that handles off days and vacations for the regular guy gets the route done by 10AM following the same route in the same direction.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jcwit
For those who think the PO is a joke, for the number of pieces they handle on a daily basis if you think you could do better, have at it!

Sub par service isn't acceptable IMO.

^^dlundblad is right on! EVERY time I go to the post office with those orange slips to pick up my packages (I don't want valuable items left on my front porch all day with no one home) I'll have multiple ones to pick up. They ALWAYS walk back up to the counter with only one. I'm like,uh,um,READ THE SLIP and count how many I have back there. They'll get this [censored]-slapped look on their face and be like "uhhhhh oh yeah!" and go to the back for the rest of my stuff.

Last weekend I had three,the dumb [censored] comes back with two and said he can't find my third. I told him I'm not leaving without my third package. I tell this chick behind the counter to go look for my package and she comes right back up with it.

jcwit,I wonder what my boss would say if I didn't feel like doing my job and just told him "Sir,there's just too much work here for me to do,I don't feel like doing it all :^( " Wonder if I'd still have my job?

My mail delivery gal delivers my mail anywhere from 9 AM to 10 AM, upon her return to the post Office, if there is a package for me to be delivered she drops it off on her way home.

I use Amazon and E Bay for much of my shopping.

Amazon because of their shipping via UPS or FedX takes 6 to 10 days to arrive, even from an adjoining state.

USPS shipments from E Bay arrive within 3 to 4 days, actually 3 days is the norm. Shipments from overseas arrive within 7 to 10 days, the holdup seems to be customs at port of arrival.

Am I satisfied with USPS? You Bet!

As far as working for a company I was dissatisfied with? Had non locally to me.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
For those who think the PO is a joke, for the number of pieces they handle on a daily basis if you think you could do better, have at it!

Exactly, when you consider the volume of mail they move and the number of actual issues they have they do a superb job overall.

I've had far more issues with private shippers like Fed Ex and UPS than I ever had with USPS and I only use them rarely.

I had a bunch of issues with forwarding recently, between here, NY, and NC. I only just got it straightened out, but all of my mail was getting returned to sender for a period of a month or so. Go to the USPS website, and put in a ticket, explaining what is going on. Hopefully within a few days/week someone from the USPS consumer affairs will give you a call to try to help it get straightened out.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
The following is what I do and I haven't had anything lost/delayed for years:

If you know the ZIP+4 use it, and make sure anyone sending to you uses it.

Make sure the street address is absolutely correct (e.g. GARY PL NW, not GARY ST NW or GARY AVE). If you don't know, don't guess.

Print or write everything in BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS. NEVER USE CURSIVE. I don't care how beautiful you think your handwriting is.

The letter that was "undeliverable" as I explained in my first post had the correct address in big bold computer printed font. It did not have the +4 on the zip code, but I've gotten mail here for the last 10 years without the +4 on the zip code.

I know for a fact that over the last month I have not received about 4 or 5 pieces of mail I should have - monthly bills that have been coming here for 10 years all of a sudden can't make it here any longer.

I'm not sure if it's the actual mailman that is the problem, or the post office not getting the letters to the mailman due to some pre-sorting problem. I would think if it gets to the post office located in my city for final delivery, then my mailman would get it to be delivered on his route.

My mailman is a big crazy though, he flies off the handle if you even try to ask him why mail is being mis-delivered. Kind of reminds me of Newman the mailman on the old Seinfeld shows. I wonder if he does play games with the delivery of mail to try and get back at people who bring up issues with their mail. Knowing what I know about this guy and the way he reacts when I ask a question about it, I wouldn't be surprised if he is causing the issue.

My question is if this letter had the yellow sticker on it saying it was undeliverable (because my address "doesn't exist"), is that a problem within the post office before it gets to my mailman to be delivered, or is it the mailman who is actually trying to deliver it to my mailbox?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wonder if he does play games with the delivery of mail to try and get back at people who bring up issues with their mail.

If he is doing this,hopefully he will be prosecuted and will do some prison time.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I wonder if he does play games with the delivery of mail to try and get back at people who bring up issues with their mail.

If he is doing this,hopefully he will be prosecuted and will do some prison time.

Get this. One week I got my neighbors mail twice. The first time there was a package crammed into my mailbox, so I took it over to them. The 2nd time it happened two days later I put a rubber band around the 5 or 6 pieces of mail and put a note on there that simply said the mail was being delivered to the wrong house.

The next day I go to get my mail and there was a yellow sticky note next to the outgoing slot that read: "Find perfection in yourself ... not in your mailbox." Really? Does this give a slight hint of the kind of attitude this guy has about his job. About a year ago I asked him why I get mail with my house number on it but with a completely different street (the street one over from me). He went basically ballistic over me asking him this question. He was literally fuming and yelling at me all the way back out to his truck (I had caught him at my door delivering a package, so asked him that question). The guy is a bit wacky IMO.

controlmail.jpg

I called the USPS and filed a case, so the supervisor from the post office where my mail is delivered out of will be contacting me within 3 business days. Should be an interesting conversation.

The gal I talked to on the USPS customer service line couldn't tell me if letters that are "undeliverable" and get the "return to sender" yellow sticker get identified and marked as such before or after the mailman gets his hands on them. If these "returned to sender" letters get returned because of something my mailman does, then he's probably going top get fired, and thats' what he deserves if that's true. If he's messing with US postal mail, he needs to be caught and dealt with accordingly.

But if it's a machine sorting error, etc, which is how I will approach this with the post office supervisor initially, then they need to know about it. If this supervisor tells me my mailman touches these letters before they get rejected and undelivered, then he's toast. He's been doing this route for YEARS, so he has no excuse except to be tampering with US mail, or just plain incompetent anymore to deliver mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back