Magnetic Oil Drain Plug with Oil Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done an oil drain plug comparison between plugs with magnet versus without a magnet using oil analysis?

I'm trying to determine if it is worth having a magnetic oil plug or if the oil filter will be adequate.

The application would be in gas and diesel engines.

Thanks

Iron particles less than 20 microns won't get caught in most oil filters. I always find at least some fine iron fuzz on my magnetic drain plugs, proof its getting very fine particles.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Iron particles less than 20 microns won't get caught in most oil filters. I always find at least some fine iron fuzz on my magnetic drain plugs, proof its getting very fine particles.

I have had the same results. I've had magnetic drain plugs for years. For less than $20 it's worth it to me. It's that much more gunk that doesn't get to circulate through your engine.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

I have had the same results. I've had magnetic drain plugs for years. For less than $20 it's worth it to me. It's that much more gunk that doesn't get to circulate through your engine.

I agree. For the cost, why not. I have also used them for years

I thought it was comparing oils films with Castrol Magnatec in drain plugs... You know, to see if its smart molecules attach to the metal better than the othernoils or not...

Did a 10k comparison with and without magnetic drain plugs. No significant difference. Just like everyone, in two of my cars, there's always a thin gray coat of metal whatever on the plug during oil changes. And just like everyone it's cheap enough that it's worth buying as a replacement bolt when you begin to strip the hex bolt like I did.

To be completely fair with the oil analysis, my cars did not have enough ferrous material in the oil analysis to be significant at all and if I did see then I have a problem that CANNOT be solved with a magnetic drain bolt.

However it's still recommended as a good choice replacement when you need one.

Don't have any data, but they trap very little.

IMO their main use is diagnostic, and in that context a magnetic dipstick makes more sense.

If you want to remove ferrous metal, and are convinced they do no harm (I'm not sure) one of those magnetic bandoliers round the oil filter can is likely to be more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back