Magnetic drain plugs yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some super magnet drain plugs for my Volkswagens (2.0 and TDI) for $28 each. You can veiw them here .

I was wondering is there much benefit to running a magnetic drain plug? I was planning on running oil analysis on both the vehicles at their next oil changes, however I am guessing this will seriously skew the results in terms of wear. Would it be better to run without the plug and just take oil analyis readings each OC or run the plug without oil analysis?

They're certainly not a bad thing, but $28 is a rip off. They will catch some stuff, but 99.999999% of it would get caught in your filter anyway. If you can find one for under $10, then go for it. $28, no way. You can almost get a dual remote filter setup for that much.

If you're expecting the plug magnet to clean your oil by catching debris, you won't get your money's worth. The only value I can see with these plugs is they'll alert a fleet mechanic during an oil change that something is going wrong with an engine. After all, you can't see the debris in the oil filter. This can be important for non-owner driven vehicles.

For guys like us it's "A solution in search of a problem".

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
The only value I can see with these plugs is they'll alert a fleet mechanic during an oil change that something is going wrong with an engine.

Well, they will catch things before they go through your oil pump. But then again, how often do oil pumps wear out?
dunno.gif

I like them and I have them on my cars. I doubt there is any evidence that the material it trapped ever saved an engine from disaster but I figure every little bit out of circulation helps. Now there is a link in one thread on this message board that seemed to show there was a reduction in some wear metals with the use of a magnetic drain plug.
The $28 cost is for you to decide.

Based on my experience with their customer service DO NOT USE SUPERPLUGS !!!. The actual product does not look the same as pictured on the website and they will not give you a full refund with returns!! Plus, the attitude of the people stinks!

quote:

Originally posted by mulepacker:
Based on my experience with their customer service DO NOT USE SUPERPLUGS !!!. The actual product does not look the same as pictured on the website and they will not give you a full refund with returns!! Plus, the attitude of the people stinks!

Things must have changed since I got my Superplugs...am very happy with them.
grin.gif

I got good service at Superplug and these suckers are much stonger than the standard magnetic plugs. I also have the same type of magnets, free out of old computer HDD's, stuck on all of my oil filters. They all work as I can see the material they attract. Seems to me if it does not get to the filter it will be a bit clearer and if some hard metals are out of the oil then they can do no harm to the softer metals. May affect the UOA by skewing the iron but may also be lowering the total wear a bit.

try www.germanautoparts.com for magnetic plugs for your VW. they have some for $6.25.
i couldn't imagine spending $28 just for a magnetic plug.
why is superplug so expensive, is it a neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB) magnet?

There was a post here a little while ago about someone buying some cylinder shaped magnets from wondermagnet.com and sticking it on the drain plug. No glue or anything is needed, because the magnet is attracted to the drain plug. You can get a magnet for about $1, and that's worth it. $20+ for a magnetic plug is not. They are a REALLY good idea in things that don't have filters - small engines, transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials.

cool.gif
I have Superplugs in my Astro and my Ranger. I will say that at first they sent me two Astro-sized plugs and I was unable to contact them about it. I took a crapshoot and sent one back and did in fact get a correct sized replacement. I like them but their delivery is pretty slow.

You guys that have used the superplug. when you change your oil do you have any metal filings on the plug? They seem like a good idea.The only time I have seen filings on a magnetic drain plug was on a couple of oil changes I did when I had ne GM cars that had a magnetic plug in them at the factory. When i dropped the factory oil I wiped quite a bit of metal filings off the plug but that was the only time. I suppose there is some truth do going ahead and gettting that factory oil out of there.

Magnets in the oil pan, around the oil filter, or in the transmission pan might collect a little bit of metal. But I don't think there should be any noticable amount of metal on the magnet. If there is, then you have got a real problem.

I think that $28 for a magnetic drain plug is a little bit much. What I do is take old speakers that I don't use/want and take the magent off of them. I stick one in the oil pan and one in the transmission pan. If there is any metal in the oil, it will will always get stuck to the magnet or in the filter.

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
There was a post here a little while ago about someone buying some cylinder shaped magnets from wondermagnet.com and sticking it on the drain plug. No glue or anything is needed, because the magnet is attracted to the drain plug. You can get a magnet for about $1, and that's worth it. $20+ for a magnetic plug is not. They are a REALLY good idea in things that don't have filters - small engines, transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials.

That's what I did. I have yet to do an oil change with the new magnet but will report.

I ordered mine from FORCEFIELD. I got THIS one.

baomo:

I had a strong feeling (and still do) that the superplugs are indeed NdFeB magnets. however these are actually not the ideal magnets for high temp use. So I bought a bunch, and plan to test the magnetism of the one bathed in hot oil to some "control" ones that have been stored at room temperature. If indeed it loses a significant amount of magnetism I would need to purchase SmCo (Samarium Cobalt) magnets, which are much better suited to high temps. SMCo magnets are MUCH more expensive than NdFeB magnets, which would explain part of the cost of Superplugs if indeed they are SmCo. They are still WAAAY overpriced even if they are SmCo, just an order of magnitude less than if they are NeFeB.

report back as promised:

after about 6k miles the magnet on the drain plug was still as strong as the control magnets I had kept in one of my drawers.

Score one against the superplug!

If it gets to the point where you get a LOT of things stuck to the magnet, you may as well drive that vehicle into the ground because you've got some serious problems!

I think I'd rather not know...
grin.gif

I once made a magnetic plug, back before you could order them from the net. I drilled a hole in the end of the drain plug (the end that would go into the oil) and glued a stick magnet in the hole with some JB Weld. It worked fine for the as long as I owned that car, and I think I had it in there for somewhere near 100,000 miles or so. It always had a small “afro” of small fuzz on it each time I changed the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back