Magnet inside PS reservoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw somewhere, that putting a small powerful magnet into the PS reservoir would keep the fluid clean and remove the wear praticles. Anybody ever try it?

I guess it does make some level of sense to get the Fe chunks out ASAP.....but then again it does not address the cause of the metal in the first place.

I use a neodynium on the outside of the PS reservoir. Ha-ha - I've never checked to see if there are chunks caught.......I just had some spare magnets!

It makes sense. I imagine the challenge would be to install it in a way that 1) makes it accessible for service and cleaning, and 2) won't fall into the system and cause a horrible problem.

You could install a magnefine filter in the PS line.
smile.gif

While it would help it is not needed. You would be far better off flushing the unit once a year. Most failures on p/s pumps is due to either varnish building up on the flow control valve or bearings going bad. Most of your modern pump designs used sealed bearings so the metal contamination is not much of an issue. If your uses an open design bearing then it is even more important to get the metal shaveings out.

I think that useing products like Lube Control and Lube Guard Red if your P/s uses Dex III go a long way to reduceing the varnish issues and extend the life of the fluid. Useing a quality synthetic or semi-synthetic p/s fluid or ATF also go a long way. Most racks fail at the seal due to hardening due to varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back