Magnefine transmission filter, 13k in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Magnefine filter was installed on the cooler return line of my 2001.5 Pathfinder's RE4R01A-HD transmission for approximately 13k miles. In my opinion, I could have ran it for longer. I will run its replacement for 30k miles. Click to enlarge the photos.

Initial unscrew:

Filtering media:

Magnet, dirty:

Magnet, clean:
I removed the magnet, cleaned it, and will drop it in the transmission pan next time I do a pan drop.

Stuff wiped off of magnet:

Inside of the filter body:

Looking into the filter cartidge:

What purpose does the black rubber/nitrile donut atop of the filter cartridge serve?

Its a sealing ring if I recall to keep the pressure feed and the filtered return as separate as possible.

Yes, ya could have left it in and rack up some more mileage.

I replaced my filter after only 9k miles which was early. But wanted to see what it looked like.

(BTW, those magnets make great refrigerator magnets. lol)

Originally Posted By: DaHen
(BTW, those magnets make great refrigerator magnets. lol)

yep or as another member suggested to me when i cut open my magnefine was to use it as an addional trans pan magnet.

Thanks for the pics!

I'm currently running this on 3 vehicles and have been wanting to check them out as they are all over 10,000 miles since I've installed them. I will wait a bit longer now before I replace them.

Great pics and thanks for posting them! Yep, you coulda run it a LOT longer. The 30K recommendation factors in a dirty trans to start.

Had you done a fluid change (or more than one) prior?

Most of the contaminants a trans generates come in the early days, either from manufacturing/assembly or break in. Once you are past that point, a trans not under a great deal of stress does not generate much "junk." For that reason, the 30K recommendation is kind of conservative. Plus, there's little danger if it did fully load up. If the filter were to plug, the bypass would still allow normal flow and since the magnetic part would still be working for you (and the contaminants generated are 50 percent iron) you'd still have filtration happnin.

The fluid has been completely exchanged at least twice (the current fill is Castrol Import Multi Vehicle + 1 10oz bottle of Lubegard Red, fresh as of Halloween 2011), and a pan drop & filter change and several drain and fills were performed a while ago.

The only reason I changed the filter is because when checking the transmission fluid level and wiping the dipstick on a paper towel, some brown/gray stuff would appear on the paper towel (picture) and I have no idea where it could possibly be coming from. I did accidentally run this filter backwards for a small amount of time after rearranging the transmission cooler hoses, so I was concerned that some "dirt" could've washed out of the media as the fluid flowed over it the wrong way.

I will likely install a Magnefine filter on my power steering system as well at some point.

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
What purpose does the black rubber/nitrile donut atop of the filter cartridge serve?

I'm guessing to prevent debris caught by the element from being washed back into the pan. Flow should only go one way. Reverse flow would wash the debris caught by the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back