Magnefine Installation: HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help Please,

I am in the process of installing a Magnefine filter on my truck.
2007 Ford F-150 with tow package (auxiliary cooler). I removed the transmission cooler lines to verify flow direction. I removed them from the output of the transmission where they connected to an item that Ford refers to as a "modulator". Here is a picture of what I am talking about. 7H322 is what is called out as the modulator.

TransmissionBlow-up.jpg

Anyhow, I verified direction of flow to that point. The top line flows from this modulator to the truck's radiator (top input). I summized that the fluid path then flowed from the radiator (bottom input) into the driver's side of the auxiliary transmission cooler. I cut the line from the passenger side of the transmission and proceeded to hook up a hose to the output of the cooler to perform a transmission flush. Well my girlfriend started the truck and fluid started to flow from the hose. Once the level got to about 1/4 way up in a gallon container, the fluid shot out of the end of the line that I cut, that led back to the transmission. I hooked up a second hose to that line, and now fluid was flowing from both!!!

Then, I pinched off one hose at a time, but the fluid just flowed from the other hose end that wasn't restricted. I then installed the Magnafine in the direction of flow that I traced earlier, (INPUT END of filter connected to pass. side output of cooler) In order to verify flow path, I pinched off the hose connected to the line that (I believed was the return line to the transmission). The fluid flowed for approximately one second then stopped, and the other hose the one that was pinched off became pressurized.

So my question here is two-fold. Can anyone verify direction of flow on my truck. And does this "modulator" change the direction of the flow, or does it simply open like a thermostat to allow fluid to the transmission cooler assembly.

I would think that fluid flow direction would be, 1. Out of transmission. 2. Into radiator 3.Into Aux. Cooler 4. Return to Transmission.

My truck is defying this logic, it seems to want to send fluid to the AUX transmission cooler first then to radiator.

Is this only happening because the truck is cold??

Thanks,

Tony

My Elantra does the same thing and gave me second thoughts too... I ended up plugging the line that should not have had fluid coming out with my thumb as a test to figure out what was going on. I found that there was virtually no pressure behind the fluid from that line. So I let it flow some more to get out the old fluid, then simply plugged it for the remainder of the flush.

So my advice to you is to attempt to plug it with your thumb... If you get covered in ATF, then try the other end... If you still get hosed down then I don't know what to tell you and hopefully someone more knowledgeable on Ford transmissions will be along to help you out.

captureqs.jpg

based on what Alldata is saying the bottom line out of the tranny is the outlet. So I think that would mean that is the way the fluid flows out at it's starting point.

Beast,

I thank you immensely for posting that picture. I just made a mental note to sign up for Alldata. More important than the two items that you pointed out is #3, the fluid cooler input. Yesterday I verified #6 and #7 by disconnecting the lines from the fluid cooler bypass valve (#8) and they are indeed correctly labeled. Fluid will flow unimpeded from port #6 (Transmission fluid out).

I needed some kind of verification showing which line went into the auxiliary cooler; which your picture shows clearly labeled at #3. This was driving me nuts, but I think that the fluid cooler bypass valve was somehow seeing the path of least resistance instead of bypassing back to the transmission. It must work as some kind of thermostat. Does it tell you on Alldata what it does??

Thanks again, Now tomorrow I can hook this all back up.

Tony

You welcome. I can't access Alldata from this computer. Later tonight I will see if Alldata has anything on that bypass valve.

The bypass valve is a temperature sensitive "thermostat" device to prevent overcooling. It recirculates the cooler flow back to the trans until a preselected temp is reached. My data is at another location right now, but IIRC, it's set at 170 on my '05 F150. Cooler flow is to the radiator first, then the aux. cooler and returned to trans. You want the Magnefine on that return line.

I had a very similar "box" on my '96 FORD Windstar.
As mentioned, it is a thermal bypass valve.
It opens between the lines when the temperature is below some pre-determined value.......which was about 32 degrees F on my windstar (so I read......never actually tried to verify it).

NOW.....from what I read.....the thermal valve opens flow between the 2 metal lines below a certain temperature.....and closes the flow between the 2 metal lines above a certain temperature.

IT DOES NOT BLOCK FLOW THROUGH THE METAL LINES.
This may explain why you see flow as you do.....fluid is PUSHED out the "OUT" line.....through the radiator cooler, through the auxillary cooler and back into the transmission.
It is NOT sucked back in......no suction on the "IN" line.

If the thermal valve is OPEN.....you could have flow in both lines going out of the thermal valve.....as it can cross over from the "OUT" to the "IN" line through the thermal bypass valve.

The theory is.....when the fluid is cold....it is thicker....and will seek the path of least resistance......with most of the fluid bypassing the coolers.

Now..when everything is connected back up like normal...the only place for the fluid to flow (once the lines and coolers are full of fluid) is to be pushed back into the"IN" line......into the transmission.

Splice in some clear tubing in the system to look directly at the flow. I did this on my Ranger during a flush and could initially see small air bubbles flowing to verify the direction.

Despite the consensus of 90% of BITOG members on how an auxiliary transmission cooler should be plumbed, OEM's often run the ATF through the oil-to-air cooler first, then through the oil-to-water cooler.

I grew weary of arguing the merits years ago, but there are obvious benefits to this setup.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
I had a very similar "box" on my '96 FORD Windstar.
As mentioned, it is a thermal bypass valve.
It opens between the lines when the temperature is below some pre-determined value.......which was about 32 degrees F on my windstar (so I read......never actually tried to verify it).

NOW.....from what I read.....the thermal valve opens flow between the 2 metal lines below a certain temperature.....and closes the flow between the 2 metal lines above a certain temperature.

IT DOES NOT BLOCK FLOW THROUGH THE METAL LINES.
This may explain why you see flow as you do.....fluid is PUSHED out the "OUT" line.....through the radiator cooler, through the auxillary cooler and back into the transmission.
It is NOT sucked back in......no suction on the "IN" line.

If the thermal valve is OPEN.....you could have flow in both lines going out of the thermal valve.....as it can cross over from the "OUT" to the "IN" line through the thermal bypass valve.

The theory is.....when the fluid is cold....it is thicker....and will seek the path of least resistance......with most of the fluid bypassing the coolers.

Now..when everything is connected back up like normal...the only place for the fluid to flow (once the lines and coolers are full of fluid) is to be pushed back into the"IN" line......into the transmission.

Excellent description!

Today I installed a magnefine filter on my '06 F150. I installed it on the return line between the "modulator" and the transmission. I reasoned that this is the best placed because any fluid being bypassed at the modulator would be filtered rather than unfiltered if placed upstream of the modulator. Can anyone confirm this is the correct way to do it? Is connecting the filter on the return line just after the auxiliary cooler the proper way? My set up is just like the images in the first post. Thanks for your help...

Sounds fine to me, though it's easier to install and service up by the cooler and since there is always some flow up there, there is always some filtering. But, yeah, you did good taking the harder road.

Thanks Jim. BTW, is installing a magnefine on the power steering worth doing also? My truck has 55k miles. Thanks again....

Last edited:
Yes! I installed a Magnefine into the return line of the rack and pinion steering on my '05 F-150 and ran it for 552 miles before resampling the oil. The ISO code dropped from a dirty 20/17/12 to a clean 17/15/12. Similarly, when installed into the long-overdue-for-an-oil-change power steering in my old ’86 test rig, it dropped the code from a filthy 21/18/14 to 18/16/13 in just 289 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back