MagicJack's Faulty Call Screening

Probably not.

How old is your router?

It's only 2 or 3 years old. I got it to work with fiber optic internet I switched to then.
It works great for a wired connection to my Dell PC, and for WiFi TV, it's just that the Magic Jack VoIP phone incoming calls don't seem to work all the time. I disabled my voicemail again last night, and today I can call my phone from an outside line. So for all I know, this might work if I want to do without voicemail.
I spoke to a guy at Office Depot today and he recommends a NetGear Nigththawk AX2400 that costs about $180.
I'm looking at devices on Amazon right now for VoIP routers and some of them are around $50.
I was wondering if there's a small device I might be able to run solely for the VoIP phone and keep running the AC750 for Wifi TV and wired internet.
I guess I better wait a while longer and see if I can receive calls every day with my current settings.

Last edited:
PS - I can call out with my Magic Jack phone all the time, no problem with that at all.
I might even decide to keep this setup and deal with it the way it is.
It's receiving calls today. ;)

It didn't ring on my first try, but later I called my ISP and then TP Link again and she sent me a link on how to forward ports 5060 and 5070.
After I did that, I reset my router and tried calling my MJ line again, and it rang!!
They told me the reason I wasn't receiving calls sometimes was the firewall on the router prevented my MJ phone from ringing, and that's why I had to open 2 ports for it. It seems this time it should stay working every day.
It took me about a minute to forward the 2 ports.
I had no idea if my ISP would have been able to help me with this but they did and it doesn't look like I'm going to need a new router.

cancel the service and quit troubleshooting it.

I recommend ooma. Their "Free" tier is $5 per month for fees.

I've used their device for years, it has a little answering machine and plugs right into your router. I use a 20 dollar walmart cordless phone with it.

cancel the service and quit troubleshooting it.

I recommend ooma. Their "Free" tier is $5 per month for fees.

I've used their device for years, it has a little answering machine and plugs right into your router. I use a 20 dollar walmart cordless phone with it.

I'm glad that works well for you but I don't think I should throw in the towel on MJ quite yet.
I should now be able to use call screening, voicemail, and all of their features, now that the ports have been forwarded properly.
I'll update this post again later.

My magic Jack LL phone has worked fine since I forwarded the SIP ports 3 days ago.
I'm going to probably buy a few more years of MJ before it expires in May 2023.
It's working perfectly now and I think it will suit me fine.

Funny how the guy at Office Depot didn't tell me about forwarding the SIP ports.
I believe he just wanted to sell me a $180 Netgear Nighthawk router.
And that $180 router still wouldn't have worked right unless I forwarded the ports.
So I'd say my patience with my magic Jack phone has paid off.

Back