Magazine subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I subscribe to American Scientific and Discovery magazines. The subscriptions are due to be renewed in late December. I am already getting ground mail telling me my subscription is about up and renew now. Why waste the paper, postage and my time by sending out pay-now requests 5 to 6 months early on a one year subscription? I find this irritating. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I subscribe to American Scientific and Discovery magazines. The subscriptions are due to be renewed in late December. I am already getting ground mail telling me my subscription is about up and renew now. Why waste the paper, postage and my time by sending out pay-now requests 5 to 6 months early on a one year subscription? I find this irritating. Ed

Easy. The sooner they have your money, the more they can float.

Another distinct possibility is that they are desperate for cash. Magazines and newspapers are dead.

More subs = more advertisers paying more. I don't think magazines make anything on the subscription fees.

I have found that not renewing they continue to send magazine for another 6 months to a year. Why?

They want to keep subscription numbers up. I subscribe now to no magazines although I like them. I do pay for them in store if I travel.

Originally Posted By: hatt
More subs = more advertisers paying more. I don't think magazines make anything on the subscription fees.

You are absolutely right, I know someone who publishes his own car magazine (called Autostrada Forum) and even though it's sold in stores, he gives away most of the magazines for free at car events and in high end car dealers around here. I bought a subscription when his magazine first started a few years ago but never got a renewal notice after the first year, the magazines just keep coming. The ads are making him a ton of money, so he really doesn't need the subscription fees.

That looks like a pretty cool mag. At $28 CAD for 4 issues I'm going to have to pass giving it a test drive. I'll keep an eye out for deals.

Originally Posted By: hatt
That looks like a pretty cool mag. At $28 CAD for 4 issues I'm going to have to pass giving it a test drive. I'll keep an eye out for deals.

The guys from that magazine travel down to Florida a lot (mostly Fort Lauderdale) so it wouldn't surprise me if some car dealerships down there have free issues of the magazine too. Keep your eyes peeled
smile.gif

Magazines don't make sense now when everything you could possibly want is online.

Yeah, it isn't the same as reading it in a comfy chair with a nice cup of coffee, but I can do the same thing on my laptop. Same reason newspapers are going under.

Some magazines do fine. C&D is still much as it has been for years, within reason of course. I axed my Popular Mechanics subscription some time back, when they put all the how to guides online, and turned the magazine into not much more than an infomercial. They put what I was willing to pay for online for free, which really didn't help keep me as a reader.

You can get most magazine subscriptions on Amazon lower than their (new customer) price on the cards they place in to their magazines.

Yes-the printed copy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
You can get most magazine subscriptions on Amazon lower than their (new customer) price on the cards they place in to their magazines.

Yes-the printed copy.
Subscription Addiction has good deals too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back