m1 supersyn 5w30 oci 10040 miles 05 cadillac cts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll do my best to try another oil change at the exact miles! I'm not going to clean the throttle body or change the spark plugs. I'll just change the oil! I already have 2800 km (1750 miles)since the oil change (2 weeks ago)

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
Should I trust the oil life monitor from this result? What I'm going to do on my next oci is change the oil filter at 5-6k and see if there's a difference in the iron on my next analysis.

Mark.

The TBN number telling that this M1 is still have a lot life left after 10k miles. Don't change oil filter at middle of an oil change and follow the oil life monitor.

If I was you, I would try to get enough oil sample for analysis at 10k miles and keep the oil in service. If the analysis is as good as this time, I'll keep using it until 15k.

You may want to replace the oil filter at 10k miles and drain the oil from filter for analysis.

These results aren't bad, but honestly there is probably some room for improvement. M1, especially in this grade, is known for high iron wear - it is the oil upon which Valvoline bases their claim that their own synthetic give 4x better wear protection. The lead is also a little bit higher than I think you could do. I'm not particularly familiar with this engine, and maybe nobody here is, but it will probably last much longer at this wear rate than you will likely keep it. Still, if you wanted to get the best results possible, I'd put money down that a change to any number of different oils would prove beneficial. In the "synthetic" world, you could look at Valvoline synth or Valvoline Maxlife synth, or Pennzoil Platinum, or if you wanted to go the the trouble, something like Amsoil SSO. Even some other oils in the Mobil 1 line might be better, such as 0W-30 or even the 5W-40 TDT, despite its heavier grade. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to run the TDT and I think it would give you excellent results.

I think any of the oils I've mentioned would be good for 10k mile intervals. The Amsoil SSO and possibly the M1 TDT could likely go considerably longer. Either approach would likely at least keep the cost per mile level while improving your overall results.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Sppykem-great details on that motor. I rented an 08 Acadia with this engine over the summer in San Antonio--what a dog- perfromance wise-all around. Decided at that point it would NOT be a replacement for the 04 Tahoe. Guess it was the weight and gearing that sunk the Acadia for me, cause the engine looks like a jewel--especially the pressure activated piston cooling jets. It also looks like it has taken the six bolt main journals and inter-bay breathing vents from the GM LSX series of V8's
Steve

Since you are doing so many miles, you should consider Amsoil as it is made for long OCIs.

A lot of good results with SSO here, do a search in the UOA section, you may be able to double your OCI.

From what I gather, it should be good to do an engine flush with the Amsoil Engine flush product to be sure to get your money worth of the oil, otherwise the first OCI could be deceptive.

Sample it at 10k miles to see how it compares to M1 and decide where to go from there.

You could do only two OCIs per year with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back