M1 ESP Formula 5W30 | 9375mil | VW Golf 1.9TDI ATD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Give Rotella T6 a shot. Since your TDI doesn't run using a DPF, I'd go with a thicker diesel oil. There are tons of people running the T6 or Mobil TDT in place of an official VW 505.01 oil.

Please note OP lives in Portugal. Rotella T6 is a North American market product, like wise Mobil 1 TDT.

Charlie

Oh good point; totally missed that. My main point is that OP should go with a 40 weight diesel oil; preferably one with VW 505.01 certification/approval.

Thanks for the replies.
wink.gif

In this last change of oil, I´ve changed from the M1 ESP Formula (507.00) to the Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600 (505.01 compliant). They´re both 5W-30 but the LM has a higher TBN. Regarding the amount of Zn/P I can´t say a thing. :S

My intention, when I´ve decided to go with the 5W-30 instead of the 5W-40, was the fact of the viscosity of the 5W-30 at low temperatures offer a greater protection, reducing the wear.
Is it possible, looking to the results of the UOA, for us to get any data regarding the wear of the camshaft?

Regards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Give Rotella T6 a shot. Since your TDI doesn't run using a DPF, I'd go with a thicker diesel oil. There are tons of people running the T6 or Mobil TDT in place of an official VW 505.01 oil.

Please note OP lives in Portugal. Rotella T6 is a North American market product, like wise Mobil 1 TDT.

Charlie

Oh good point; totally missed that. My main point is that OP should go with a 40 weight diesel oil; preferably one with VW 505.01 certification/approval.

Shell might have something very similar to RTS, and call it Helix or Rimula.

In any case, VW 505.01 was created for PD engines while remaining compatible with distributor pump and IDI engines. VW 507 was created for common rail engines, and I never read where VW said that the 507 oil would be a good replacement for 505.01 oil and oils before it.

Hi!

I´ve only admitted to use the 507.00 as an alternative to the 505.01, after receiving this message from VW Wolfsburg:

"
Ref. no.: xxx
21 January 2011

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thank you for sending us the vehicle identification number of your Golf.

We like to inform you that you can use oil that corresponds to the following specifications:

- 507 00 / 504 00
- 506 01 / 506 00 / 503 00

We hope that we have been of assistance and wish you always good motoring with your Volkswagen Golf.

Yours sincerely,
xxx
"

They never told me, even when I insisted and expressed my doubts, that an 5W-30 was not adequate to the PD engines.

They can be wrong, but my question remains: if the camshaft is under accelerated wearing conditions, doesn´t that be visible in the UOA?

Regards.

Hi!

Thanks you for the suggestion, r2d3, but that oil don´t meet the requirements of the 505.01, 506.01 or 507.00.
Therefore, I, as an ignorant, have some reserves regarding the use of an oil that (and I´m not questioning the quality/performance) does not meet the manufacturer requirements.

For now, I´ll wait for the results of the LM4600, and if the numbers don´t please me, I´ll try another option.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hello!!

I´ve got my first UOA on this new oil (Liqui Moly Top Tec 4600), and I´m sharing the results with the forum.

I thank all opinions/contributions in advance.

Brand: VW
Model: Golf mk4 1.9TDI
Year: 2002
Engine: 100HP (ATD Unit-Injector)
UFI filters

Car mileage: 100258 (about 161350km)
Oil mileage: 10091 (about 16240km)

I usually do small trips (5-10km), several times a day, during the week. During the weekend, sporadically, a few miles on motorways and similar.

14luhb5.jpg

Blackstone comment
Copper continued to improve in this third sample from your Golf, but now lead is a little higher. Lead could be a sign of bearing wear, but it may just be a harmless particle streak, and if so, it may go away on its own next time. Since all the other metals look good here, it's too early to call this reading a problem. The TBN of this sample is strong at 4.3, despite this being a longer oil change interval. Note: the previous samples listed the time on the engine/oil in miles, not km, so we converted to miles for this report. Let us know if you'd prefer kilometers from now on.

This time, the TBN was strong, and the values of Cu and Fe were inferior to the last UOA. Nevertheless, the results for Pb and Sn are puzzling me. What are the usual suspects for this increase?

For the record, all filters used this last time were from UFI.

I´ll wait the see the next results before extending the UOA, and I hope that the trend on PB and Sn disappear.

Regards.

Last edited:
Thank you, m37charlie, for the reply.
wink.gif

Regarding the info you mentioned, and besides my ubiquous interest in motor oils, the one you linked is not approved for use in my engine, that needs, at least, VW505.01 approval. Nevertheless, thank you for the recommendation.

The starting TBN for this oil is 7,2 AFAIK. So a 4,3 after more than 10000 miles looks good, or not? Any ideas from where the Pb e Sn could come from?

Thanks in advance to all the replies.

Regards.

API spec synthetic diesel oils work better in PD engines than 505.01, from the UOAs that I have seen. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 and Shell Rotella T6 5w40 are popular here in the US and produce good UOA.

Yep, you need VW 505.01.
I use now Pentosin 5W40 which meets VW 505.01. Found it very smooth, good cold start. I will go back to castrol 0W40, BUT if I had your car I would go with Pentosin 5W40 or Motul X-Clean 5W40.
Also, Wal mart sometimes carry Valvoline MST 5W40 which meets 505.01.

Thanks edyvw for the reply.
wink.gif

I believe that the oils you mentioned are quite good, but they are not easily available where I live, specially the Pentosin.

That said, I´m must say that I´m quite pleased with the Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4600 5W-30 that I´m currently using. It offered me the smoothest behavior till date, best mileage, etc., the only thing that I´m waiting to see is if the values of the Pb and Sn drop a bit or keep raising/stabilize.

Regards.

Originally Posted By: Blasar
Thanks edyvw for the reply.
wink.gif

I believe that the oils you mentioned are quite good, but they are not easily available where I live, specially the Pentosin.

That said, I´m must say that I´m quite pleased with the Liqui-Moly Top Tec 4600 5W-30 that I´m currently using. It offered me the smoothest behavior till date, best mileage, etc., the only thing that I´m waiting to see is if the values of the Pb and Sn drop a bit or keep raising/stabilize.

Regards.

I did not see you are in Portugal. Man you can go with Shell Helix 5W40 that meets VW 505.01. At that time, VW/Skoda was using Shell massively in Europe. LM is good oil, no doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back