M1 5W30 3.5kmi 01 Saab 9-5 V6 **bearing wear**

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Saab 9-5
3.0L V6 Turbo
96k on vehicle
3.5k on oil
Mobil 1 5W30

I suspected sludge from the look of the oil blotter and the condition of the oil, but blackstone says no. now I'm wondering what is causing the bearing rot.

oilreport42407fl3.jpg

Please give us more! What sort of conditions and use does this car see regularly? The only thing I can add at this point is that I strongly recommend consulting Terry Dyson.

driving is pretty much 50/50 city/hwy. oil filter was a private label purolator. air filter is OEM Mann (with a cracked filter box no less).

Well, this is perplexing. All I offer is to reiterate my Dyson consult recommendation. Of course, totally tongue in cheek, I could tell you to quit bellyaching about bearing wear and check out the thread I just 3-starred -- where the owner-OP has 213 ppm of lead!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

Use a thicker oil. I would give the M1 0w40 or any 5w40 a run for comparison.

If the crack'd filter box on the clean air or dirty air side?
Vehicle maintenance history?

if this is a manual transmission, engine may have a thrust bearing issue

city intown driving or freeway?

try the Rotella 0w40 Syn

this may be an engine that does not do well with the lower add. SM oils with lowered AW's and FM's

Rotella T 5w40 Syn GrpIII HDEO
this oil holds up well in hvy duty hard pull apps such as turbo diesels and large high torque stroked PU V8 gas engines

let's see. this is a family member's car so I don't know everything about it -- it was purchased used as a Saab certified used vehicle (off-lease). since purchased it has had mostly ~5k quickie-lube OCIs with whatever dino they put in.

I advised to use Syn in a turbo, so he had them put Mobil 1 in last time.

he doesn't drive hard, and the car is an automatic. again, about 50/50 hwy/city driving. the motor is noisy, and appears to blow some smoke at cold start. transmission died, dealer replaced FOC.

Since pulling the sample I have taught him how to change his oil. we put Rotella T 5W40 in for a short rinse OCI (will dump it when the blotter begins to look nasty). then I'll have him run M1 5W40 TDT for 3k and re-sample.

the air box is at the bottom of the engine bay, right up next to the radiator in the corner. there's a chunk of it missing on the bottom side, exposing the filter media to the open road. the crack appears to extend all the way to the center/clean side, but it must've kept its seal.

I would wonder if the first run of Mobil1 had a 'cleaning effect' and thats why the numbers are so high. I think the move to a Xw40 was a good idea.

I'm curious if the air box being open like that is causing the engine to run rich (or lean) and also somehow messing with the numbers you are getting?

Thanks for sharing your report!

My guess would be this is just cleanning out previous run oil changes that where probably pushed to far or poor quality oils. 100,000 can build up lots of stuff. Auto-rx may be in order. With that turbo 40 weight is a good idea. I would use the Mobil 1 0w-40 but the 5w-40 would do as well.

only 96k and blowing startup smoke...not good
do at least 2 cycles of Auto-RX cleaning

the Rotella T Syn GrpIII 5w40 will be fine for both clean and rinse cycles if cost is no problem

Some of the Saab engines in that time period have had major sludge problems due to PCV system issues, but I thought that was limited to the turbo 4 cylinder models. My friends 9-5 with about 110k miles on it and by the book oil changes recently died a horrible and expensive death thanks to this class of problem.

http://www.autosafety.org/uploads/phpdeyczZ_SaabOilSludgeJune2005Letter.pdf

The best way to check for sludge is to drop the oil pan. I don't know how hard that is on your vehicle.

Given the unknown maintenance history, the highly detergent Mobil 1 could simply be loosening up previously formed deposits and holding them in suspension. In addition I believe this engine has chain driven cams(?),which tends to cause higher Fe levels. It may also have a conventional oil cooler, which could be the source of most of this copper leachate.

I'd run the same oil 1-2 more times and see if these numbers don't come down. If you are still seeing high Fe after that, I'd try a European style 5w-40 or a 5w-40, HDEO, ie a significantly thicker oil than this SAE 5w-30.

The FP and insolubles look good, so I don't think there is anything badly wrong here....

TS

ok, i just found out that this car had one of those 5 minute solvent flushes done at the quickie lube when this M1 was installed (again, not my car). I'm convinced that explains the bearing wear. will look for it to come down in the next sample. hopefully it didn't do any permanent damage.

The copper may be from a brass floating bushing in the turbocharger bearings. The smoke on cold startup with Saabs comes from leaking oil through the oil seal in the turbocharger bearings. If the turbo was spun up with the solvent flush in the bearing instead of oil, you could have wiped out both the seal and the bearings. When something spins at over 100,000 rpm, there isn't a lot of room for error.

Based on your desription of the situation, I'd take a long hard look at the turbocharger before I wrote off the oil analysis results you saw as only from the solvent flush.

have the turbo checked at an Audi shop...far less costly than a blown compressor wheel and pieces ate by the engine
tell the shop tech about the quickie flush and give him copy of UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back